Enchanter program

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 8:09pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now to follow on with Paihia ferry incident.

Hope they treat thr vessel at fault with same regard as the Enchanter skipper is facing
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 9:28pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

From NZ Herald/Northern Advocate

Goodhew is charged with breaching his duties as a worker on the vessel and in doing so allegedly exposed individuals to a risk of death or serious injury. The charge carries a maximum penalty of a $150,000 fine.

His business, which trades as Enchanter Charters Ltd, is charged with operating a ship without the prescribed qualified personnel. It alleged Goodhew did not have a medical certificate at the time of the incident.

The business is also charged with allegedly failing to address voyage and passage planning in its Maritime Transport Operation Plan, and allegedly failing to identify and address the risks arising from the trip.

By failing to take those steps, the business exposed individuals to a risk of death or serious injury, the charge, which carries a maximum penalty of a $1.5 million fine, alleged.

Perhaps I'm incorrect but those charges read to me as if it's a bit of a witch hunt?

I acknowledge that perhaps the vessel was required to have a crew member with a medical certificate onboard however that would have had no bearing on the outcome.

With respect to the company's Maritime Transport Operation Plan failing to address voyage and passage planning that doesn't mean that voyage and passage planning didn't occur each and every time they put to sea.  Do you read or need to be reminded of the road rules each time you jump in your car?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 10:42pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think from what I heard the ferry skipper was in right and hit by rec  dumb launch owner on auto pilot who was completely in the wrong. I think skipper of Enchanter called Lance was also dumb at the time. And unfortunately lost lives.
Unfortunately I have a little perspective, qualified to say dumb. and unless proven wrong will hold on that position.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 6:49am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

From NZ Herald/Northern Advocate

Goodhew is charged with breaching his duties as a worker on the vessel and in doing so allegedly exposed individuals to a risk of death or serious injury. The charge carries a maximum penalty of a $150,000 fine.

His business, which trades as Enchanter Charters Ltd, is charged with operating a ship without the prescribed qualified personnel. It alleged Goodhew did not have a medical certificate at the time of the incident.

The business is also charged with allegedly failing to address voyage and passage planning in its Maritime Transport Operation Plan, and allegedly failing to identify and address the risks arising from the trip.

By failing to take those steps, the business exposed individuals to a risk of death or serious injury, the charge, which carries a maximum penalty of a $1.5 million fine, alleged.

Perhaps I'm incorrect but those charges read to me as if it's a bit of a witch hunt?

I acknowledge that perhaps the vessel was required to have a crew member with a medical certificate onboard however that would have had no bearing on the outcome.

With respect to the company's Maritime Transport Operation Plan failing to address voyage and passage planning that doesn't mean that voyage and passage planning didn't occur each and every time they put to sea.  Do you read or need to be reminded of the road rules each time you jump in your car?

Didn’t really want to post anything on this topic but couple points need explaning.

1/ I’m not fully up to date with new skipper qualification ticket requirements but I would assume that the skipper given the amount of time he has been chartering all these years would have had an old legacy ticket. Which means they we granted for life, like our drivers licences which were also grant for life but the rules were changed so that you had to renew them every 10 years, MNZ also changed the rules.

All old legacy tickets still retained the lifetime rule so long as you "ring-fenced" those within a certain timeframe or you had to resit for them. This was done because MNZ didn’t know just who & how many of these legacy tickets were out there, as a lot of the paper work for them was lost and with some tickets MNZ didn’t know what restrictions or requirements these tickets held. Now with these old legacy tickets in order to keep them current & valid the only requirement was that you had to complete a 1st aid and medical certificate every 2 years of which the medical cert had to be lodged with MNZ. So if the skipper had not done this them he would have been operating with an invalid ticket, in saying that though a crew member if they had valid ticket could have allowed the skipper to still operate the vessel but then any charges would have been against that person and since this doesn’t appear to be the case then MNZ is charging the correct person.

2/ With respect to the company's Maritime Transport Operation Plan failing to address voyage and passage planning that doesn't mean that voyage and passage planning didn't occur each and every time they put to sea. MNZ know doubt would have done an audit on the vessels MTOP and perhaps found something that was outside of the MTOP which doesn’t mean to say that the plan for that trip or subsequent trips was wrong but any changes to MTOP has to be recorded in it. MNZ rules are very strict and can be a nightmare to follow & even implement, I am surprised that there hasn’t been more incidents as there are some real cowboys out there operating charters when they should be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 10:26am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Now to follow on with Paihia ferry incident.

Hope they treat thr vessel at fault with same regard as the Enchanter skipper is facing

This was the boat and AHole that hit the ferry, apparently he had been behaving like a douche bag all morning and previously during the week. Corksucker just stood by until urged by others to help those in water, after alledgedly throwing wreckage from the ferry off of his bow. As far as I know it is not a surveyed vessel and as such any clown can drive one that has enough money.
As an aside observation, those Boston Whalers must be absolute tanks, when you look at how little damage was done
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 2:21pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

deleted as found the answer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 2:30pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

copied from another site,this is the offending vessel in opua marina I believe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 3:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Not convinced Pcj.  Looks very much like a Boston Whaler 285 Conquest to me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 4:05pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

found the answer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 5:56pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Turns out to be a trophy,where the boston whaler came from who knows 

Where the Trophy came from?....... Some guy on a website, quoted by another guy on another website, whose taken the first guys word as gospel....

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 6:29pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

see below
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 10:40pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the feedback Tzer.  You will have better knowledge than most on here with respect to the establishment and operation of a charter vessel in NZ.  I have zero knowledge in this area however I am familiar with the process of submission and approval of management plans in other industries.  
I guess what struck me, among other things, was that MNZ is now alleging that the business failed to address voyage and passage planning in its MTOP despite the fact that MNZ would have signed off the business's MTOP at some time as being acceptable.  Hindsight is easy, foresight not so much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2023 at 3:20am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some guy fitted a 
the vhf up north and he said its a trophy on crew.org so can only take his word,minimal damage though

Actualy PCJ the link  you posted has a bloke (Ex Machina) who states its a trophy.
 The guy who fitted the VHF ( Far North Boy) to the boat doesnt state what the make  it is...... Its a misrepresentation to say the guy who fitted the VHF states its a Trophy! How about waiting for the facts to come out.

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2023 at 5:00am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

some guy fitted a 
the vhf up north and he said its a trophy on crew.org so can only take his word,minimal damage though

Actualy PCJ the link  you posted has a bloke (Ex Machina) who states its a trophy.
 The guy who fitted the VHF ( Far North Boy) to the boat doesnt state what the make  it is...... Its a misrepresentation to say the guy who fitted the VHF states its a Trophy! How about waiting for the facts to come out.

This clears it up.

Could not see anyone at the helm of that boat, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t someone there. It had two 300-horsepower motors on the back and it was full, fast. And he just don’t swerve, he didn’t slow down, didn’t put the throttle down. He just ran straight into the front of the ferry.

He told Checkpoint it was lucky the boat - the eight-metre ‘Boston Whaler’ - hit the strongest part of the Blue Ferry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 8:44pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In the case of Enchanter, the charges seem to some to involve technicalities in relation to paperwork, but for obvious reasons commercial operators taking paying passengers out are required to meet regulations that aren't applicable to weekend warriors in their own boat. I imagine that's also the case for transport operators in comparison to the average car driver.
Requirements naturally change over time, as higher standards come into force. 

Some people hate having regulations imposed on them, no matter what, and complain about bureaucracy gone mad etc - but my view is that when it comes to commercial operations, there needs to be some kind of bar set - because people who get on board a chopper, boat, bus or whatever should be able to rely on the fact that the operator is meeting national safety and qualification standards that experts deem to be the minimum.

No, I don't check the road code every time I get behind the wheel of my car, but if I was the owner operator of a ski mountain shuttle bus business, I'd be damned sure I was schooled up on the latest operator regulations each season and had my paperwork in order.

Interestingly some elements of the Enchanter charges are very similar to those finally laid in relation to the tragic death of a woman who went overboard during a work outing on a charter launch out on the Waitemata in April 2021. The media reported that the skipper and the company are both facing charges: 

"...The skipper is also charged with operating, maintaining or servicing any ship without holding a current medical certificate.

Zefiro Charters Ltd has been charged under the Health and Safety at Work Act for failing to comply with duty and the failure exposed any individual to risk of death or serious injury.

This included failing to provide crew with adequate training to ensure the Maritime Transport Operator Plan was implemented..."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 11:37pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TKD

No, I don't check the road code every time I get behind the wheel of my car, 

Perhaps you should re read the rd code,came to a major intersection and lights not working,no one had any idea who they give way to,so I just sailed on through as all just stopped . Give way to your right,just like it is around about with no actual round about,simple really
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 6:03am
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You can have all the rules , regulations , paperwork , experience etc etc , but sometimes **** happens . End of story
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 7:45am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TKD

No, I don't check the road code every time I get behind the wheel of my car, 

Perhaps you should re read the rd code,came to a major intersection and lights not working,no one had any idea who they give way to,so I just sailed on through as all just stopped . Give way to your right,just like it is around about with no actual round about,simple really

Not sure if that's a response to my post, Pcj, but sorry if I confused anyone. The road code analogy was brought up earlier in the thread. I wasn't referring to the Russell incident, if that's what you are thinking. On the face of it, any vessel that t-bones another one on the port side, has serious questions to answer - who gives way is arguably the most important rule on the water, but there are a lot out there who don't know the correct action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 9:17am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not trying to defend the wit in the whaler. But currently anyone can buy a vessel of virtually any size with absolutely no knowledge of rules. Buy a new vessel from a dealer do they give you a basic rules of the sea booklet?? Haven't seen rules posted at Ramps.well the ones I have seen were defaced. So perhaps a day skipper course for all or maybe insurance companies to impose you must sit before getting insurance?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 4:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Pcj - Here in WA you need a Recreational Skipper's Ticket (RST) to operate a recreational vessel with a motor that exceeds 6hp. An RST is a nationally recognised certificate of competency that demonstrates the holder has the minimum knowledge and practical skills needed to safely operate a powerboat. You are not required to renew your RST or pay ongoing fees.
Having said that in the case of the ferry incident it shows you can't legislate against stupidity.  I expect it will be an expensive exercise for the owner of the boston whaler as I would be very surprised if his insurance company will respond.
Page  <1234>