Triming lure skirts

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triming lure skirts
    Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Getting set up for this year. Have an old favourite Legend Enki sold to me at boat show by Roddy Hayes years ago, and skirts chosen by him at time we’re probably customised, we’re cut down to spears/ sliced to points on tip . Actually hard to do with scissors, and my latest version from marine deals purchased last week (now inch or so shorter to match old lure) was done with scissors. Am tempted to go back with Stanley knife and do a better job.
Re this practise:
Not much said on internet. Bonze rigging lure on youtube cuts straight across skirt to shorten it. Pukula lures and Zukers are square. Rusnack/ Aloha lures spears his squirts on custom lures.
Hayes once maintained his lures ran better with skirts speared and imparted that to a select few.. me probably by mistake.
But the counter was expressed on other posts on subject, was better to run over stupid fish with sub-optimal lure than no fish at all… which is dumb logic, denounces lure presentation.  As I would of thought everyone would always have lure running optimally if could make difference in fish turning away, or a hook up comprised where a fish is dropped. Always thought every advantage you can have with lures, when fishin lures is worth having.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:55pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you tried your braid scissors to trim skirts on angle?
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No but wife just opened a new pair of braid scissors in weekend out on boat… so that suggestion is very helpful…. Also her tackle box containing those scissors has yet to make its way back in vacuum cupboard., where she stores her tackle separate to my tackle room.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 2:29pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You could use some sports tape scissors,  or any half decent set work well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 9:28pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Job has been done thanks Jake,  and wife’s new braid scissors, thanks Ynot, was an effective solution…. and there still quite sharp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 9:31pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

speaking of which lads , including you Geoff, think marlin will be here early this year, going to have lash for few days early this year as in before xmas… either tuts, most likely or maybe bland bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 5:51am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have you run one with the spears?

Would be an interesting exercise to run to identical lures, expect one with speared tips, one without and note the differences.

I'd try but my limited lure collection doesn't have any twins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 11:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The shortening I’ve done on enki are spears. Fortunately had some Alohas done by the lure master himself to copy. Rusnak in my opinion is the best. Reckon it’s a thing, and don’t need to test his theory against his own/the best hand made lure makers in world. Already know first hand how good his handmade and hand skirted lures are with speared skirts … in short, perfection!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 11:35pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Roddy Hayes original pro-range in photo has spears on out skirt, done by him yers ago ….what does that tell you… subtle secret, not well known.
Yeah but cut em straight on pukula and bonzes as well easier. Straight cut across cause that’s how  those lures run best according to both makers.
Seriously,  I think a nice slant head lure you should spear the outer skirts, I don’t know why though, other than lures run like that get more bites, run better or may be luckier. Suspect former reason.
Nathan if you are out there, what do you think?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 12:00am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught a few marlin,  over 40 at last count, all on lures but can’t remember what lures were speared skirts. 
But all on that original enki pro range entire were 3 and 1 on the most recent on a aloha were all spear skirted, That’s about 10%. But would expect ratio to improve in future cause will run higher proportion of speared skirts. As used to be only one in four, if at all.