New wader recommendations

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New wader recommendations
    Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:11pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Team, I am on the hunt for some new waders to replace my Riverworks ones (stocking foot) which - to be honest - have been a big disappointment even for 'breathable' ones at the lower end of the market. They had to be sent back to Riverworks when they leaked after the first trip to the Tongariro, which wasn't a good start, and years later I've had enough. 

I use my waders for standard winter river fishing in the Taupo area - which for me includes quite a bit of walking, and the usual track-side brush (not blackberry or full on bush bashing). I'm not a guide or a weekly trout fisho, and i have an old pair of Magnums for lake shore wading.   

Any recommendations of waders that you've had good experience with?

Simms and Orvis seem like the pro top end (eye watering top end, these days), and the G3/G4 etc are more than i can justify for my occasional trips these days. I could maybe push to the Simms Guide Classic if my wife's not looking.

I will pair them with my Patagonia 'Tractor' boots which I can't speak highly enough of. Grip rocks like a limpet and aren't as 'heavy' when worn as they feel in the hand.

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:50pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Simms G3 all day!
The new model is an improvement over the previous and the previous ones are bomber.
I have both new and older g3 but are still using my original pair had 7+ seasons so far. They are showing wear but no leaks last time out.

You get what you pay for.
Having said that I’m sure you get good service out of the guide model also.

That new online shop (land and sea?) had 15% off recently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 3:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

hi Jac,

Thanks for that. I guess I'd better save up my new king Charles III gold coins!

I couldn't afford Simms when i bought my first breathables, and I probably can't justify a grand now - given how often I make it to the rivers nowadays. But I get that it's false economy to buy another pair that leaks after very little use and then have to put up with it.

Was hoping for a mid range recommendation from one of the Taupo region regulars, but radio silence from the forum so far other than your comment.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 7:58pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a pair of the Simms tributary model and they have been great! I have used them quite heavily for the past two seasons on Hine with all its blackberries and they have stood up well with no issues.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 9:17pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’d get Simms to match your budget. I have the G3s now but previously I had a cheap pair of Simms for about 15yrs - there was plenty of ‘Stormsure” patching up holes but I got years of use out of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:35am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im using the Patagonia wading pants. very nice fitting and a good option if only wading shallow.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 3:34pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Mark, how are you finding the Patagonia material/fit compared to other waders you’ve had?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 8:14pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Hi Mark, how are you finding the Patagonia material/fit compared to other waders you’ve had?

ive found they fit better than others ive tried. the pants actually fit like real pants...
they dont get a huge amount of use but everthing is still all good after 2 yrs with no sign of any wear r leaks.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:08am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im with The Tamure Kid on this one - i simply cant justify top of the line waders when im lucky to do 2 river sessions a year now - and i work in the boating / fishing industry. Must admit the new age waders , light breathable material is very much appreciated on that long walk up the Tauranga Taupo! Light years ahead of the dinosaur neopremes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:44am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I believe as with everything fly fishing, there is no one best wader for everyone. Things to consider are where, how often, when you fish and what you can justify spending.
If you are a guide doing 200 days a year on water then hard wearing G4s by Simms might be best suited.
I would probably spend a month of the year in waders. What I most look forward to is wet-wading in warmer months when I get the freedom of walking high-country streams in shorts n long Johns without sweating it out inside a few layers of some hightec material
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 11:51am
Titanium
Titanium

Great input from everyone, much appreciated.

I'll check out some of the mid-range Simms ones. Toray v Gore-Tex looks to be part of the equation.

Unfortunately, with the Kiwi $ in the toilet the prices of US-made gear are only going to go up, and they are already eye watering.
The boys on Lateral Line were raving about their fantastic Simms jackets, and that's fine if you get sponsored by Manic. But an $800 raincoat is not in the frame for many...

I agree, Jacs, I sometimes see YouTube stuff with guys wearing breathables in the mountains and i can't understand. I'd pass out! I guess if you're constantly up to your waist in the King Country in November or April, and in shade a lot as you walk on, it's pretty cold. Not like being on an open gravel bed in Jan/Feb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:25pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’ve always stuck with Gortex because when searching for holes in my waders I rub meths over the inside of the waders and holes come up as a black dot .
Maybe it works with other breathable materials - I don’t know?
Anyone enlighten me on this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 6:54am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’ve always stuck with Gortex because when searching for holes in my waders I rub meths over the inside of the waders and holes come up as a black dot .

That's a brilliant tip - didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:03am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

I’ve always stuck with Gortex because when searching for holes in my
waders I rub meths over the inside of the waders and holes come up as a
black dot .

That's a brilliant tip - didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.Thumbs Up

Mark the holes with a pen before the meths evaporates 👍🏻
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:33pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beats hanging them up, inside out, and filling with water!!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken