Shallow water stick anchors

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shallow water stick anchors
    Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:09pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been thinking of making a shallow water anchor like the one below to anchor my tinny on the beach when I’m doing a solo trip.

I launch mainly at Stanmore bay or manly, sandy beaches so I could drop the boat in, walk at out and push the fibreglass rod into the sand to hold the boat while I sort the car out.

I use a small anchor at the moment but have a couple of times when the anchors dragged in the wind and I’ve had to nearly swim for the boat.

I can see advantage in this system,

https://www.stayputanchor.com/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow very weird… how deep do they go?  I fish shallow foul sometimes 5m or less. Run a light grapnel on short piece of chain deployed off stern and then take to a cleat about midships. Works well and can be used either side depending on where windage is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just  reread your post. Grapnel won’t work in sand. Small danforth should hold well in sand though. And in summer can put off bow by hand and adjust in water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:48pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Just  reread your post. Grapnel won’t work in sand. Small danforth should hold well in sand though. And in summer can put off bow by hand and adjust in water.
Yep I use a small danforth with a chain and it works ok but when I saw this it did look a bit silly but had a good look on google and there’s a lot of different brands around. I’ve got an old broomstick solid glass rod with a couple of broken eyes I was going to strip the rest off and give it a try

I see they make them for yaks as well.

https://navarrekayakfishing.com/shop/anchor-stick-mount/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:07pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As weird as it first appears, it would be ideal for fishing the flats a metre or less deep. Eliminate anchor swing aswell.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:13pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like you could spend some real money as well

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/learn/buying-guide/shallow-water-anchors
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 9:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have some old chair glass graphite rod blanks, strong as fack if you wanna make some thing which won’t break… one is free to good home. Was thinking off turning into marlin gaff… but have two so one you could have.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 9:51pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

I have some old chair glass graphite rod blanks, strong as fack if you wanna make some thing which won’t break… one is free to good home. Was thinking off turning into marlin gaff… but have two so one you could have.
Thanks mate, sounds perfect. How do I pick it up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:29pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pm sent for you to pick up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 10:52am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Of course the 'mericans have powered them up too https://power-pole.com/products/shallow-water-anchors

(not a bad idea for shallow, calm water)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 6:28pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Of course the 'mericans have powered them up too https://power-pole.com/products/shallow-water-anchors

(not a bad idea for shallow, calm water)
Mate I know you launch down at Stanmore bay. How do you think this would go down there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 12:38pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, I think it could work there.  It's worth a crack - especially if you can do it with minimal cost!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 5:51pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good idea, and great for solo launching.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:32am
Platinum
Platinum

Thinking a little more ... it could work well unless there is a bit of a wave coming in.  When the wave lifts the boat up the stick anchor would be less effective.  So it's probably going to be useful 90% of the time at Stanmore Bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:27pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ditto a falling or rising tide.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chlofree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 4:15pm
Chlofree View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good idea
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 6:41pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thinking a little more ... it could work well unless there is a bit of a wave coming in.  When the wave lifts the boat up the stick anchor would be less effective.  So it's probably going to be useful 90% of the time at Stanmore Bay.

Maybe something like below could be adapted to the end so the pole is screwed in rather than driven.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:35pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep agree with all comments above but I only try to do solo missions on a good day.

I already have a hole in my swim step that the fibreglass rod will push through and then down into the sand, I’ll then tie the fibreglass rod off to the handrail on the side of the swim step. I’m going to use as long a fibreglass rod as I can get, hopefully around 1.5 to 2.0 mtrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:39pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would the rod not move up and down in the sleeve as in a pontoon jetty or do you think the movement would be too much for it?
Probably a little clearance in the sleeve for such.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:41pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep that’s what I’m thinking
Page  12>