Cost of new boats just getting silly

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost of new boats just getting silly
    Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:49pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m amazed, there’s a brand new 3.9mtr tinny with a 40hp listed on trademe in the last couple of days for $28k, probably vaules up with the cost of the hull motor and trailer. But these prices are just getting silly.

I see new 16 foot pontoon boats on there for $65k plus the wonder what my 6.1 mtr tinny worth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 7:00pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 8:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My boat is a 5.3 m tinnie. 2007. Purchased it about 10 yrs ago - for $25k.
I checked TMe about 3-4 weeks ago to see if any F/S. Yep - $38k for about same age as mine. They stopped making them around 2010.
So on that, I could now sell the boat - after 10 yrs of use for about 50% more than I paid for it.
Something wrong here.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 8:34pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trailer boats are popular for 2 reasons.tine restraint owners.wash out put away no mooring marina fees etc no overseas travel until recently so cash on hand yachts on the other hand give away prices in comparison.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 9:02pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, the used boat market is similar over here.  Commonly referred to as Covid tax.  The market is slowing though.  Definitely a good time to sell, just as long as you're not planning to buy soon after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 10:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Everything is bloody expensive, new or secondhand! Mate has a two year old hardtop which he had custom built by a reputable boat builder. He thinks he can sell it at a profit and he's probably not wrong. 

Having just been through the process of buying a new boat, costs were painful, but it was a question of doing it once and doing it right. Hopefully not famous last words!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 8:02am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good for the engine sales though! The last boat show had my jaw on the floor at what I'd have to pay for a bare boat that would do what I already had - perhaps in a bit more comfort and look a bit prettier.
Prompted the decision to repower instead and get a few more years out of it and if we decide to sell, a newish four stroke will take it into a different market compared to the old 2 stroke.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 12:16pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a good approach Dagwood.

I ordered a new boat just after the boat show last year and picked it up 31 January this year.  I went from a 1995 5.25m fibreglass runabout more suited to a combo of towable water sports and a bit of fishing / spearfishing to an alloy pontoon hardtop ... so a repower didn't make sense for me.

The base price of the boat has gone up around 16% or 17% from when I ordered it.  That is without looking at any price increases on what I specced into it but I imagine these have gone up in a similar range.  I suspect I could sell it for more than I paid for it at the moment.

When I picked up the new boat the boat builders told me their aluminium costs were increasing a lot and they were uncertain of supply for late this year.

Also, I had the old boat for around 20 years and sold it very quickly for $4,500 less than I paid for it.  In hindsight I should have listed it for more!  (I paid $21,000 for it originally and sold it for $16,500 after 20 years and over 800 hours on the engine)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 5:53pm
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not just boats,brought a horse  float 2.5 years ago, paid 22k they are listed on their website now for  33.5k for the same one. It's  getting  ridiculous. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 4:09pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After my travels around central North island this week. Boat dealers etc must of done well this year.the amount of new vessels/trailers/motors I seen.Lots early christmas presents. Wonder how the new interst rates will effect the industry. Home loans gone from 3.2% to 7.5%
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 7:26pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going to be a over priced boats sitting around, check this one out

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/3723791696
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 7:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

That is a well appointed boat, no doubt there. I really like the look of it. I couldn't see the point of your post, after all it is very well powered, has a Minn Kota and everything else that any red blooded fisherman could possibly want.

Then I saw the price! At over 100K it is twice what I was expecting. Nice boat, but I can't see my wife agreeing to sell the house to buy it.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 7:45pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On my drive in to work this evening, I noted multiple new looking 7 - 8 metre boats being trailered to the coast. Someone has money to spend!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 7:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I see that every time the swell is 1.5m or less on the west coast. On a 'bad day' I'll see 10 of them on my 15km drive to work Ouch  
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 8:47pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

That is a well appointed boat, no doubt there. I really like the look of it. I couldn't see the point of your post, after all it is very well powered, has a Minn Kota and everything else that any red blooded fisherman could possibly want.

Then I saw the price! At over 100K it is twice what I was expecting. Nice boat, but I can't see my wife agreeing to sell the house to buy it.

Yes it was a double take for me when I seen it, great little battle ship but a lot of money for a 16 footer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 9:38pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

.....And the irony is according to the dealers the prices are set to rise early next year.
Frankly some people are just taking the piss out there. Wait until interest rates creep towards double didgets and lets see how long that 16 footer takes to sell for 100k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 6:18am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Metal prices are set to rise again early next year, so that will increase the price. Without adding wages etc.

I heard that some manufacturers had a 2 year lead time in 2020. I bet that changes very quickly with7% interest.

I wonder if all the price increases we are seeing are anything to do with the billions governments around the world printed? Then they sit back in surprise that inflation is out of control. It would be good if the media pointed out the obvious.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 7:03pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So here’s another interesting price point, $14000 for a new Suzuki quad that leaves $65000 for a 4.2 mtr tiller steer tinny.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/3793113100
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 8:55am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When we had a motorhome I thought about something similar, but I was thinking more along the lines of this picture.  This looked like it could be quite easily done on a DIY basis -for much less money.  The FC solution is arguably more elegant, but you do pay for that.  There is also a guy in Auckland who makes a rotationally moulded boat that a quad will fit in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 8:57am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This time with the photo
Page  12>