Fisheries Amendment Bill

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fisheries Amendment Bill
    Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 5:31pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/sc/make-a-submission/document/53SCPP_SCF_BILL_121567/fisheries-amendment-bill?fbclid=IwAR2soyf__BGHyRHlVFYo6RguKNpOBr4TSObBqmuNQvMDr7ErqXWgGlcMq6M

The closing date for submissions is Friday, 17 June 2022

The Chairperson of the Primary Production Committee is now calling for submissions on the Fisheries Amendment Bill.

The bill would amend the Fisheries Act 1996. The amendments are intended to modernise and strengthen New Zealand’s fisheries management system, and incentivise sustainable commercial fishing practices. The bill would:

• amend commercial fishing rules related to the landing or returning of fish
  • establish graduated offences and penalties regimes
  • introduce a new defence for returning catch to sea where the return is necessary to save a marine mammal or protected species
  • provide the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries with a new power to require, or allow for, fish to be returned
  • permit the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries to establish pre-set decision rules for the purpose of setting and adjusting sustainability measures
  • extend the observation of fishing activities.

Tell the Primary Production Committee what you think:​

Make a submission on the bill by 11.59pm on Friday, 17 June 2022.

For more details about the bill:

❗ EVERYONE UNITE, and make a submission now - on what could be the start of the end of our say on issues around our fish and fisheries…submissions close this Friday. ❗
Right now, there is a Fisheries Amendment bill that is currently sitting before parliament, involving a number of changes with the potential of redefining the entire Fisheries Act.
The Amendment Bill has been slipped in under the guise of the recent cameras on vessels confirmation and MPI have sneakily slipped in the Bill, hoping no one would notice or object.
If the Fisheries Amendment Bill will go through it will redefine the entire Fisheries Act, encouraging more overfishing, more depletion, and throwing ecosystem-based fisheries management out the window.
We oppose the proposed Amendment Bill because it introduces instruments, pre-set decision rules and other mechanisms that substantially weaken the sustainability provisions of the current Fisheries Act 1996 (the Act), by providing a mechanism for removing Ministerial discretion from the decision-making process while masquerading it as only a 'minor technical amendment'.
Without Ministerial discretion and input, it is extremely difficult for public to have a say in our fisheries.
We will be posting more and more in the next few days to give you information on what is in the bill, breaking it down for better understanding.
You can make a submission through our form here:
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 6:55pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Already done.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:15pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Done & I would encourage all recreational fishers to do the same.
As I see it, it's imperative that  we step up, otherwise the walkover will happen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 10:04pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

... As I see it, it's imperative that  we step up, otherwise the walkover will happen.

Couldn't agree more Uncle.  The problem is getting some unity within the 'We' of the recreational sector.

The cameras on comm boats fiasco has been a clear demonstration as to who pulls MPI's strings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 10:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Signed for what it's worth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 4:23am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Made a submission. Disappointed to see this bill reducing public input to Fisheries management.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 7:45am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whats interesting, for all the criticism some throw at Legasea, how would we have known?
This has as they say, flown under the radar, with all the cameras on boats hooha.
It sounds a bit like another 3 waters.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 10:14am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Done.

My additional comments :

The exploitation of the fishery in coastal New Zealand waters by commercial operators must stop.
Incentivise sustainable commercial fishing by removing quota from operators who refuse to implement modern selective methods and equipment.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 2:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've done mine too but I'm sure most recreational fishers would never do it.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 5:48pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sent mine in. I changed some of the Legasea words, so it does appear totally orchestrated.

More submissions are needed!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:31pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:58pm
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Done-just about everything this Government has done and is still doing flies under the radar. Surreptitious (a big word I know!) to say the least. Just look at the fiasco with the whitebait regulations. They would not have listened to the majority and from those old fisherman who have all the experience and old knowledge. I put in a submission on that at the time as well  only finding out about the prospective changes that were in the pipeline because some alert committee member in our local fishing club wised us up. At the time there was only something like a week to go before the submissions process timeline expired. They just throw this out there and hope the population doesn't find out about it. Disgusted!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 7:26pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

If I didnt post it,would you of known about it??
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Slug slicer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 9:59am
Slug slicer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just your typical spin and hype from legasea no wonder they struggle to get any real credibility.Does anyone here actually understand what they are submitting against and why?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 11:49am
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lol, Slug Slicer- thats going to create and argument, I know alot of people that agree, and some that dont , lower south(lower north) its regarded as a Auckland thing for the boat fisherman up north... 
I never knew about this submission like alot of other people in NZ....   
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 12:29pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Really SlugSlicer?

which of these recommended ssubmissions from Legasea do you struggle to understand or not support?

I support cameras on boats. I support land all catch, with conditions. I do not support the removal of public input from how public resources are managed.

I object to having my say, and my children’s say, removed from ocean and fisheries issues.

I do not support the public becoming a minor shareholder in the broken quota management system.

David Parker, Minister of Oceans and Fisheries, please remove pre-set decision rules from this bill. These changes must be publicly consulted on, in a separate Bill.

I do not support using a pre-set formula to make decisions about quota species, we need to use the most up to date research and adopt an ecosystem-based management approach rather than operate species by species.

I do not support the Ministry of Primary Industries undermining and excluding my democratic say in issues facing our oceans and coastal fish populations. As a member of the public, I am a major stakeholder and have a right to be consulted with.

I do not support recreational fishing being given a proportional allocation of the available catch as part of the Quota Management System (QMS). The system is broken and needs to be reviewed.

Any system that allows destructive fishing techniques is fundamentally flawed and needs to be reviewed.

I am concerned at the lack of explanation, rationale and detail in the Fisheries Amendment Bill and in particular the application of pre-set decisions.

I want David Parker, Minister of Oceans and Fisheries, to ensure robust and methodologies are used for decision-making rather than the current single species catch per unit of effort (CPUE) approach.

With many fish populations declining, I support the adoption of a restoration policy and a focus on rebuilding fish populations to a minimum of 50% of their original population size. Let’s ensure fish populations are abundant before fishing them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 12:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Yes, I had submitted it before I read this post. I had an email from LegaSea
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 12:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Yes, I had submitted it before I read this post. I had an email from LegaSea

Ditto,
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 12:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

IMO the biggest problem facing recreational fishers is that we don't have a unified national voice. The consultationists (is that even a word Smudge?) can go to any number of groups and refer to social media statements where they will see comments such as 'the limit should be two fish per day' and believe me they will quote those people to justify their actions. They will back up their decisions by saying it is clear that recreational fishermen support significant changes blah blah.

LegaSea at least have the political nous to counter that stuff but yeah, we will do our best to tear them apart and criticise all that they do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 1:32pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lol-  I dont do facebook, so the only way to find out about Legasea or any group in NZ is to read this forum, the only group in NZ I see worth anything is the NZSFA , but its  only boat fishing , again mainly north island ...
Even 1/2 the clubs in NZ are not part of any organisation so how are people meant to find out -- 
Just my views -been saying this for years ....
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Page  12>