Warkworth quarry lake fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warkworth quarry lake fishing
    Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 3:17pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I want to know how to catch fish in Warkworth quarry lake in winter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 4:36pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

A digger / loader could be the go !!!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 12:15am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are there trout or coarse fish in there, cause sure was good habitat for some sort of fish when I dived in there 30 yrs ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 4:00pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

there is no trout in the lake as far as I know but there is coarse fish in the lake

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 4:16pm
Hook3d View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Owenpeli, Ive always wondered the same thing.
  I have asked a couple of people the question of whether there are fish in there and if so what species etc.

But they didn't know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 7:48pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

There used to be the full range of coarse fish species in that lake.
However, I was told that seawater flooded into the lake on a very high tide when the overflow drain was deepened. It was said that the raised salinity wiped out everything except perch.
That's how the story went anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 8:13pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Do you know when the lake flooded, because we saw a variety of small fish six months ago, including Perch, Shortfin eels,tench,gambusia(aka minnows)and possibly Rudd. We also saw a few fish which looked like grass carp but could have been Rudd.Also just wondering what to use.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 5:18am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

OK, sounds like the fish are building up stocks again.
Live worms under a float are good for perch and rudd. Fish the worms on the bottom for tench.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 8:21am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is no freshwater fish in New Zealand that won't eat a worm, so good advice above. Groundbait (burley) will help to get things fired up, but fishing will get harder as water temperatures drop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chlofree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 8:07pm
Chlofree View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You will eventually come across ferocious mosquitoes, no-see-ums, black flies, or other biting insects while fishing in rivers, streams, lakes, or the ocean.
To avoid mosquito bites, follow a few basic principles.
Wear light pants or waders, a long-sleeved shirt, a wide-brimmed hat, and/or a hood even in hot weather. Consider wearing a neckerchief under your hat to cover as much skin as possible around your neck and ears. This also shields your skin from UV rays emitted by both direct sunshine and light reflected off water.
Because topography influences wind, one location may be dead calm while another not far away has a lovely breeze to keep the bugs at bay. You can harness the strength of the wind (or even a light breeze) at places such as a valley or canyon bend, a point of land protruding into a lake or sea, or by taking a boat out on the water.
Obtain a spray. Repellent can be sprayed straight onto garments, but make sure to read the label first. More information can be found here. If you are on land, the spray frequently kills the mosquitos with which it comes into contact and then dries, leaving a repellent residue on the leaves and trees.
Mosquitoes breed in standing water, so lake fishers may not be able to avoid them, but if you're fishing in a river or stream, look for an area where the water is moving quickly (but where the river still has pools where fish might congregate). That's normally when the terrain gets a bit steeper, and it's also where you'll get a little more wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doctor fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:55pm
doctor fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They are nothing compared with the sandflies here mate, harden up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 3:58pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

does the full range of coarse fish include catfish goldfish and koi carp?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 3:05pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’m planing to go to Warkworth quarry lake this week and also would like to bring the fly rod soon so if anyone has any advice on that it would be helpful, I would also like to know if anyone has been there recently and what did you see and catch, any advice on the grass carp in the lake would also be Appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 3:14pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

use small lures and worm baits about midwater for the perch if anyone has seen big perch in there I would like to know as I have only seen small perch