Mercury outboard service costs

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 4:30pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Pierre'o Pierre'o wrote:

Hi there good folks,
I have the Tohatsu 50hp two stroke. First service was back at the dealer. When I inquired about getting it serviced by others, they tell me the warranty will expire.? My issue is the hour long (on a good day) trip to my “nearest” dealer and then back again. Write off half a day.

Interested in forum thoughts on getting a Tohatsu serviced by the Mercury agent here? 

Most motor warranties state that having a service done by other than an authorised franchise holder will render the warrantee null & void but therein lies a very grey area.

The reason they do this of course is in their own interests, not the customer as a service done by a franchise holder is bound to be considerably more expensive.

The actual situation as explained to me is that providing a person is a fully qualified mechanic relative to the work done & genuine parts are used then the warranty should not be affected, but would be prudent to have relative records/receipts etc as proof.

After all take the situation where an owner lives a 150 ks or more away from a dealership, is it reasonable to expect them to haul it 300kms as well as wait for the work to be done on arrival ?

However most warrantees state that servicing carried out appropriate prescribed intervals regardless, so if this is not done then the warrantee can be jepordised ... rather ridiculous if for some reason the motor has only been used a couple of times since the last service ... however they will no doubt argue that lubricants & suchlike can deteriorate if not used or changed.

Apparently if working within the parameters outlined then rendering a warrantee null & void is not legitimate reason, but of course they are not going to tell you that. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 6:28pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pierre'o Pierre'o wrote:

Hi there good folks,
I have the Tohatsu 50hp two stroke. First service was back at the dealer. When I inquired about getting it serviced by others, they tell me the warranty will expire.? My issue is the hour long (on a good day) trip to my “nearest” dealer and then back again. Write off half a day.

Interested in forum thoughts on getting a Tohatsu serviced by the Mercury agent here?
The problem now is all of the service history is stored on the manufacturers website to record what was done at the service, fault log information from the EMS and times and dates when the services were done and by who.

This way if there’s any warranty issues, there’s no false claims made about engines being serviced. It also gives the manufacturers the opportunity to track faults and repair issues.

To get the warranty on your motor, the motor needs to be serviced at specific times and if the person serving your motor hasn’t got access to the manufacturers website to record this information your warranty is voided.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 7:21pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2005 90hp mariner 115hr service,got the full service as unsure of history,changed throttle gear cables,dyno tune ,fuel filter,plugs replaced gear slider on motor.water pump,fuel pump diaphram Hmm $1600.

merc dealer,cant see myself going back anytime soon.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 1:24pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

2005 90hp mariner 115hr service,got the full service as unsure of history,changed throttle gear cables,dyno tune ,fuel filter,plugs replaced gear slider on motor.water pump,fuel pump diaphram Hmm $1600.

**** a duck !!!!! did you get a blow job too? you'd hope so. it wasn't south auckland marine was it? hope not as I have to do that soon ha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 1:54pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

**** a duck !!!!! did you get a blow job too? you'd hope so. it wasn't south auckland marine was it? hope not as I have to do that soon ha
Yep won't be returning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 5:38pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah $147 per hr does seem up there a bit.... But I guess they gotta factor in all the overheads of running a  business , lease, insurances, acc etc.
It certainly doesn't help that an employee on wages is effectively only working a 4 day week yet getting paid for 5. 
4 weeks paid holiday, 10 days sick pay, long wkds etc etc. You don't have to be Steven Hawking to work out that all this paid time off comes back to a high hourly rate to cover all this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 6:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

Yep won't be returning

Seems a little high (understatement there Smudge).
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 6:42pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wasnt going to post invoice but here it is,did do a trailer chack and adjust bearings,motor probaly not used in 6 months...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 6:43pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 6:44pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 6:44pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gst is the killer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 6:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If they have done everything properly at least its peace of mind Paul. Did you ask them to check the trailer? $110 p/hr is about right and costs otherwise don't seem too bad I guess. It's a nice looking rig so with that service hopefully it will serve you well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 7:00pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s a lot of money
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 7:07pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did tell them what was happened over 4000rpm,no on trailer,but rookie mistake asked full service,peace of mind I guess?Boat sat unused 6 months unused,no service history.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 8:05pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

5 hrs of dyno set up? ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 6:12am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think it was meant to be 0.5 hr on the dyno, there's a point before the 5 and 'other stuff'is listed on that line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 6:18am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I think it was meant to be 0.5 hr on the dyno, there's a point before the 5 and 'other stuff'is listed on that line.

aha it's amazing how decimal points get lost after a couple of rums...... trademes got me a few times like that ha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 7:48am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reading with interest. My new Mercury outboard is up for service. I'm taking it down to Auckland from Whangarei because I don't trust the local authorised service provider. In fact, I wouldn't trust them to service a kayak. Everyone I know has had some issue or other with them not getting it right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 8:54pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Reading with interest. My new Mercury outboard is up for service. I'm taking it down to Auckland from Whangarei because I don't trust the local authorised service provider. In fact, I wouldn't trust them to service a kayak. Everyone I know has had some issue or other with them not getting it right.

Smart choice MB Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 9:37am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dyno testing an outboard?
Never heard of that being done..interested in how they do it?
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Page  <1234>