Would it make a suitable tow wagon !!!!!!

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 2:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This all sounds like the 60s (Muldoon era). You could not buya new car without a portion (if not all) the purchase price in o/seas funds. It was Muldoon's way of getting money back in to the country. Consequently there were waiting lists for near new used cars from the same dealerships. And you paid more than new price for one if you were lucky enough to be on the list. Multiple successive vehicle purchases got you on the list. My dad seemed to have some funds in Aus, so would buy a new Holden every 2-3 yrs and sell the old one for what he paid for it. Nuts.
Back to the future. progress?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 3:19pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

This all sounds like the 60s (Muldoon era). You could not buya new car without a portion (if not all) the purchase price in o/seas funds. It was Muldoon's way of getting money back in to the country. Consequently there were waiting lists for near new used cars from the same dealerships. And you paid more than new price for one if you were lucky enough to be on the list. Multiple successive vehicle purchases got you on the list. My dad seemed to have some funds in Aus, so would buy a new Holden every 2-3 yrs and sell the old one for what he paid for it. Nuts.
Back to the future. progress?
Alan

Yep I well remember those days but pretty sure that policy was  instigated before the muldoon era & unless you were a doctor, farmer or taxi owner then as you say had to have overseas funds in order to buy a new vehicle.

Most aspring new car hopefuls did not realise how simple this was if you were prepared to get involved in some minor skullduggery.

I was in Aus at the time & my dad transferred  funds to my Aus bank account & I transfered them back to him ... presto for all intents & purposes was now overseas funds allowing him to buy a new car.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 5:51pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza, do think Carless days will ever come back? if the Greens get back in , maybe?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 6:11pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 6:23pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Bazza, do think Carless days will ever come back? if the Greens get back in , maybe?
Alan

Hmnn ......... who knows ..... never worked last time the main thrust currently seems focused on reducing emissions via cleaner vehicles.

Am inclined to think that RUC will be imposed on ALL vehicles as currently
electric vehicles of all types are not contributing more or less to road building or maintenance & surely that cannot last.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:35pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - yet another subsidy.
How unpopular the next Govt that has to introduce the inevitable. Doubt it would be Jacinda and the Greens. Rather borrow more money.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:21pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:32pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Carless days, I was just a kid then. My parents just brought 2 extra secondhand cars and had them registared for the alternating days.Still meant they could drive everyday (we were rural) and as they would not have been alone, this probably helped push up the price of the second hand car market too. Often the more rules that are applied the worse the situation becomes. Well done to Bazza for even being in a position where he can make a choice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 9:00am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Skoolinfish Skoolinfish wrote:

Carless days, I was just a kid then. My parents just brought 2 extra secondhand cars and had them registared for the alternating days.Still meant they could drive everyday (we were rural) and as they would not have been alone, this probably helped push up the price of the second hand car market too. Often the more rules that are applied the worse the situation becomes. Well done to Bazza for even being in a position where he can make a choice.

Can recall virtually dozens of buyers queueing for a chance to buy any morris minor 1000 advertised for sale, the main reason being :-

It was almost exclusively older folk attempting to buy a second car that could be used on carless days & they had nostalgic memories of the cars they owned in their youth.

Can also remember we were told the reason for the restriction was because the supply of oil had been so depleted that further supply was in  a dire position.

Since the restrictions were uplifted the supply has doubled & appears to be plenty more available, bringing to mind the truism that "Babies & pollitions both need changing & for the same reasons" ie full of s:::t T

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - remember peak oil? Decades ago , and it was all downhill from there. Going to run out in the next few decades.
I had a morrie minor - van, aka the Maggot.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:26pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Henry Ford reincarnated perhaps ??????????

NB Aus & NZ have their own dedicated production line currently producing the Atto3.

For those that say they would never buy anything Chinese made ... you are probably wearing a covid breathing mask from a division of BYD at the rate of four million per day ... no wonder Warren Buffet brought so many of the shares & still retains about 10% after gaining a fortune from those he sold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:45am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no doubt nz will follow

So how much wll the Govt (nz)charge??

JUL 2021

Road user charges exemption for light electric vehicles extended until 31 March 2024

The existing exemption from road user charges has been extended until 31 March 2024, which is around the time we expect the electric vehicles to make up two percent of the fleet. The purpose of the exemption is to encourage the uptake of electric vehicles given our climate change obligations. Increasing the uptake of zero emission vehicles will play an important part in reducing emissions from light vehicles in New Zealand. From 31 March 2024, owners of light electric vehicles will need to pre-purchase road user charges like other road users.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:37am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would suggest it will be the same as diesel vehicles currently (without the temporary rebate).  And if it doesn't start out there then I suspect it will increase over time to get there.

They have been very clear on the reason for not charging RUC on EVs at the moment so any EV owner that is surprised at the time it does come in has been living under a rock
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 1:08pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Absolutely correct PM but the question is what will happen to the plug in hybrids that only pay fuel excise on the petrol they use. It is possible (but not likely) that a plug in hybrid could run forever without starting its ice. On the other hand phevs would be paying twice when running on petrol/diesel.

To put the rucs into perspective my ev has now done 5000km and used around 850kW of electricity - about $200. RUCs on top of this at 7.6c would add another $380 meaning a cost per km of 11.6c.

A petrol car using 8l/100km would use 400l over 5000km which at $2.80/l equals $1400 or 28c/km. If petrol comes back to $2.00/l the cost would be 20c/km.

A diesel vehicle using 8l/100km would also use 400l which at $2.50 equals $1000 plus $380 ruc, almost exactly the same total cost as the petrol at 28c/km

After taking into account maintenance costs for the ev compared to the icev the case is still compelling.

I’m picking that as more evs come to market the change will accelerate. The Mach E mustang that arrives next year is a good example as well as Tesla model y, polestar 3 etc. the first manufacturer who brings a decent affordable ev ute to nz will really clean up.

I share the concern with respect to the load all these evs will place on power generation but expect a combination of wind and solar is the answer to this - I expect in the not to distant future solar will be standard or even a requirement for new builds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 3:50pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, the business case stacks up when you lay out the numbers like that AP (and the lack of RUC on EVs at present is really just icing on the cake).  

I don't have an EV at the moment. With the move to remote working etc. we have been contemplating changing things around to take advantage of it.  My partner has an apartment in Auckland (not in the CBD but still central ish) and we have started discussing selling where I am and buying outside Auckland and keeping the boat there (e.g. Whangarei Heads way or Whitianga / Tairua etc.).  Then splitting our time between the Auckland apartment and the beach house - if we can find what we want in my budget.  The idea would be that we spend approx. 3 days a week in Auckland (plus longer stints at times for family or work events).

To make this happen it would be good to have an EV with a decent range for the trips back and forth (likely 400km round trip).  Ideally an EV with:
 - good range so I don't suffer from "range anxiety"
 - nice to drive as we would be spending a fair bit of time actually driving it!
 - not too expensive (the problem is the first two points seem to come with a healthy price tag)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 8:37pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/129623743/first-drive-review-byd-atto-3
Great review here Bazza. Makes you wanna buy one.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 9:19pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a 22yr old son,studying his masters in electrical engineering and in his opion.technology(batteries)is not there yet.We are still 20/30yrs away from refining the technology we are using today,. 

No a friend who has done ev reviews and yes they have their uses but hidden cost.Charging ,despite the hype your power bill will rise. Not enviroment friendly.
The common environmental side effects of lithium mining are water loss, ground destabilisation, biodiversity loss, increased salinity of rivers, contaminated soil and toxic waste. In the Salar de Uyuni, water loss is the main cause for concern

Is lithium more sustainable than fossil fuels?

“[It's] not like CO2 comes out of the lithium, but it does take energy to mine things — today many of those systems involve emitting CO2.” Lithium-ion battery mining and production were determined to be worse for the climate than the production of fossil fuel vehicle batteries in an article from The Wall Street Journal ...14/01/2022

Keep burning fossil fuel 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 6:54am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 11:32am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Just a guess but it probably uses no more than a conventional car to make and will use a whole heap less petroleum products in its lifetime
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 12:47pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=smudge] Just a guess but it probably uses no more than a conventional car to make and will use a whole heap less petroleum products in its lifetime
[/QUOTE environmental damage caused by mining of lithium seems worst than oil extraction. Lithium mining is in poorer countries out is sight out of media sight.
Page  <1 2345>