Would it make a suitable tow wagon !!!!!!

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:31am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Back to the original topic .... decision has been made !!

Have ordered a Toyota RAV 4 XSE. as ticked most of the boxes required.

Earliest delivery 04-04-23 can but hope hope I last long enough to get to drive it !!!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:51am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Bazza

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 5:02pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Earliest delivery 04-04-23 can but hope hope I last long enough to get to drive it !!!
This would be your luck Barry.

Finishing off the day with some scrum practice when a electric vehicle ran out of power 100m from the charger.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 7:18pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

The RAV 4 as you well know Paul does not need recharging so long as there is fuel in the tank or in a can.

Nevertheless with my reputation for mishaps you could well be right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 8:26pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the new RAv appears to be a very well received car - im sure you will love it when it arrives
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Turnright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 10:10am
Turnright View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I work at a toyota dealership in the workshop, they are pretty cool cars and i like the hybrid technology, I'm sure you will love the rav
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 10:45am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

PM sent
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 12:33pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Reply from nzta below ... a long time coming but guess is better late than never. 

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kia ora Barry

Thank you for your email regarding towing recommendations, I apologise for the delay in reply.

Tow ratings given to a vehicle by the manufacturer specifying the gross trailer weight braked, unbraked, or both, that the vehicle can safely tow. Although the law does not require these tow ratings to be followed, the NZ Transport Agency recommends that they be taken into account. (Note – if you have an accident while towing over the recommended weight your insurance may be void)

Further information regarding towing can be found on our website here;

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/glovebox-guide-safe-loading-towing/guide-safe-loading-towing/#howmuch

I hope this is of assistance.

Ngā mihi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 5:24pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reply from nzta below ... a long time coming but guess is better late than never. 

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kia ora Barry

Thank you for your email regarding towing recommendations, I apologise for the delay in reply.

Tow ratings given to a vehicle by the manufacturer specifying the gross trailer weight braked, unbraked, or both, that the vehicle can safely tow. Although the law does not require these tow ratings to be followed, the NZ Transport Agency recommends that they be taken into account. (Note – if you have an accident while towing over the recommended weight your insurance may be void)

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/glovebox-guide-safe-loading-towing/guide-safe-loading-towing/#howmuch

Ngā mihi
What I and other have said on other threads, but we all do it.Until there is a major failure/accident rules wont be enforced. 500kg non braked is baisally a box trailer a 2 bags of cement
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 8:55pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kia ora Barry

Ngā mihi

it seems that the NZTA correspond-er is less informed that most of us

vehicle manufacturers are under no obligation to determine what their products can safety and legally tow - witness various and dis-similar ratings for the same vehicle sold across world retail markets. Manufacturer tow ratings are for their warranty purposes only.

insurers can only decline you on a legal basis - not what the NZTA 'recommends'

and then to be directed to a 'glovebox guide' when your inquiry was obviously asking for a legal definition - should have pointed you to the legislation which only requires the ability to stop from 30kph inside 7m in distance 

that one line is all you need to know for your legal position when towing a 'light trailer' on the road.

No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:21am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ask your insurance company and tell them what the vehicle is and tow weight,will I be covered, is probably the right place to start with?

State insurance my exclusions.
` Unsafe or unroadworthy You’re not covered if the vehicle is being used in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition, and: 1. the condition of the vehicle contributed to loss or liability, and 2. the driver should have been aware of that condition and that the condition could result in damage to the vehicle.

Could that used in a over vehicle weight manufactures guide? Remember they will wriggle out of a claim if they can,their legal team is bigger than yoursSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:52pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Change of plan !!!!!!!!!

Delivery of the RAV4 was getting further & further away so began to look at alternatives.

Over the years I have owned two Chinese built SUV,s .... both were ok for the money but
decided never again ... also claimed would not buy a newly released model of anything & 
as far as fully electric vehicles were concerned .... no way would I buy one of those.

So guess it is logical that I have singed up for a fully electric Chinese built SUV, one from
the first shipment into NZ of the brand, namely a BYD ( build your dreams ) Atto 3 that 
comes with a 6 yr bumper to bumper fully transferable warranty, 6 yrs battery warranty &
7 yrs roadside assistance as well as 480 km range. Never heard of it, I hear you say but
don't feel bad about that ... neither had I until about 10 days ago !! 

Stupid ... maybe ... here judge for yourself.

Oh ... forgot to mention it qualifies for a $8,625 govt clean car rebate ... a good deal I reckon.

https://www.bydauckland.co.nz/byd-atto-3?utm_source=DV360&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=ATE_NZ_ANDREW_SIMMS_BYD_ATTO-3_202207&utm_content=300x250

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 11:32pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good for you Bazza, I hope you dont end up with "early adaptor remors". 
From what I can see the author to the article you linked is independent, and as such is hopefully not beholding to BYD. 

As an aside I have been fanging the autobahn in Germany for the past 3 months, plenty of electric vehicles towing over here, granted they are premium moels and in the slow (100KPH) lane. Europe is moving quickly to reduce ICE vehicles, including the masses of trucks that transport EVERYTHING, hell even the local postie has an electric Deutch post van...
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 3:00am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure Bazza,for the $$ think the Outlander phev would be more attractive to me,.

Hope your not going to plug it in at home charge.You are charging by wind or solar not using our fossil fuel power stationSmile.

speaking of which, Gleeson n cox busy carting imported  coal to huntly this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 10:17am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Paul I think you will find if you add up the final cost of various EV,s you will find, as I did that the Mitsi Outlander PHEV VRX is comparatively much more expensive due to the fact

The VRX is the top of the range model & priced accordingly.

Being an EV therefore still burns fuel the govt rebate is considerably reduced.

Things like ORC & minor items such as floor mats are non standard.

Etc.

It seems as tho nowadays the only difference between most models from various manufacturers is the badge on the grill apart from BYD who have a radical departure from the norm & to a lesser extent, MG.

Pricewise the three contenders under (my) consideration ie MG, Rav4 & BYD were
pretty well in the same ballpark pricewise.

I currently run a very low kms petrol VRX owned from new & intend keeping it for 4wd & towing until it can be established the Atto can handle such tasks. If not will have to be content to park up & play with the myriad of "toys" & functions that come with the BYD most of which I will have no idea of how to operate! 

Only time will tell I guess.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 12:21pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Congratulations Bazza, I think you will be happy with your decision.

There was a thread on here a couple of months back on EV's that I will update as to my own experience as an EV owner - all positive.

Talk to your electricity supplier - most of them will offer a discounted night rate if you tell them you want to charge your car and Contact offers 3 hours of free power 9pm-12am daily which will be enough to recharge 2x your daily use if you have a wall charger.  Also, most Warehouses have free 22kW charging which will give your BYD 1/3 charge in 1hr.

In terms of answering the subject question if you use a concrete ramp and have a small boat no problem.  I would not risk retrieving on sand in my car (or any front wheel drive car for that matter) but I would have no hesitation with a dual motor ev or awd ice vehicle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:40pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Apex Predator Apex Predator wrote:

Congratulations Bazza, I think you will be happy with your decision.

There was a thread on here a couple of months back on EV's that I will update as to my own experience as an EV owner - all positive.

Talk to your electricity supplier - most of them will offer a discounted night rate if you tell them you want to charge your car and Contact offers 3 hours of free power 9pm-12am daily which will be enough to recharge 2x your daily use if you have a wall charger.  Also, most Warehouses have free 22kW charging which will give your BYD 1/3 charge in 

We have contacted Contact Energy AP & found out true to the old adage of "No such thing as a free lunch" that if we took advantage of the free power slot then our daily rate would increase thereby scrubbing out any savings ... bringing to mind another adage namely "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" nevertheless will investigate the discount option.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 10:04pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hope this opens

https://bydauto.co.nz/

Range of 420 km's for std model ... the extended model gives 480.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/byd/atto-3

Gets a bit confusing ... above review is for Australian models but for NZ is much the same
& apple carplay, android auto & intelligent connection system will be retro fitted  ... apparently
are all set to go but waiting for rights to be approved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:15pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

... I currently run a very low kms petrol VRX owned from new & intend keeping it for 4wd & towing until it can be established the Atto can handle such tasks ...

I am somewhat confused why you were intent on buying the Atto.  If you are keeping the VRX as a back up vehicle, the delayed delivery of the Rav 4 you mentioned in an earlier post would appear inconsequential.

It is difficult to not buy products made in China these days but given the choice F#$%K China.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:12am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Fair call FA ... not sure what the situation is over your way but buying most popular vehicles here is riddeld with confusion & uncertainty.

EG need to sign a "agreement to purchase" then lodge a deposit where upon you go on a waiting list & the rules such as delivery along with the govt rebate could change at any time.

Therefore I chose to sign up for the two options as deposit for most brands is refundable but at least guarantees a place in the queue albeit the delivery date keeps on moving further away eg RAV 4 is close to a year away. Nevertheless I opted to  keep my place in the queue until such time as I decide which way to go & at the worst can probably sell any new NZ
compliant vehicle at a profit as the only multiple vehicles dealerships can import are used vehicles which often sell  for more than a new one due to a shortage of the latter.

For the record, having owned two Chinese built vehicles I have largely shared your opinion of them however have always believed one day they would improve to the extent they would have a huge impact on the auto market & now inclined to think that moment has arrived with the BYD.

After all they have gained that place after starting up a mere 5 yrs ago.

Page  <12345>