Would it make a suitable tow wagon !!!!!!

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would it make a suitable tow wagon !!!!!!
    Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 12:53pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Am thinking of moving to an EV & one of the makes under consideration is a MG HS not a full time EV in the true sense or for that matter a hybrid but has dual fuel option ... either petrol or battery power.

Do not have any concerns regards power from the 1 . 5 cc turbo charged
petrol motor which can switch to dual fuel in sync if required.

My main concern is both motors power only the front wheels therefore is the weight on the tow bar likely to lift pressure on the front wheels making them prone to the front wheels not gripping particularly when hauling out from a steepish slippery ramp such as Mungakura on the Kaipara.

Have not had any problems with my last 3 wagons but they have all been
4 WD & 2 . 4 cc capacity,

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 1:20pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just remeber MG is now just a cheap chinese brand, so as far as towing with a ev or even a hybrid myself far too early nothings proven its self so far......some one on the radio the other day talking about a toyota EV that is rated to tow 2000kg but it was about 80k
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 1:30pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Deal with a few farmers down this way , they are buying the Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid( not the plug in model - petrol/elec). I know of one that tows a quad and sheep in trailer everywhere .
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 1:38pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

just remeber MG is now just a cheap chinese brand, so as far as towing with a ev or even a hybrid myself far too early nothings proven its self so far......some one on the radio the other day talking about a toyota EV that is rated to tow 2000kg but it was about 80k

Yes you are correct ... the Chinese company brought the brand name ....
however .... they are hard to fault re the overall finish ... puts most other
makes to shame & they come with a seven year warranty including the batteries & unlimited kms ... how many manufacturers can match that.

Guess the Chinese move into the Pacific could be of concern if they became aggressive & they pulled their business interests in the wider pacific ... NZ included ... would that mean no spare parts.

Guess that scenario could be a two way street given the number of Chinese owned farms, milk processing factories & forestry etc. etc. in NZ at present. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 2:31pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

buy jap not chinese they have no resale value.they are crap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 2:56pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by scuzzymoto scuzzymoto wrote:

Deal with a few farmers down this way , they are buying the Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid( not the plug in model - petrol/elec). I know of one that tows a quad and sheep in trailer everywhere .

Went for a test drive in a RAV 4 ... was impressed with the power it had but of course they are comparativley sizeable motors which to a certain degree  defeats the purpose of going electric or hybrid.

The efficiency of various systems can be gauged by the size of the govt rebate which in this instance is Rav = $2300 & the MG = $5750.

Toyota now have a rather unusual way of operating in NZ inasmuch as cannot buy off the yard ... have to order one & wait for delivery from Japan
currently around Jan / Feb 2023.

The more I look into buying new the more I am convinced is probably best
to stick with the Outlander VRX as has done only 60K, has most of the toys & does everything that I want ... so thinks "Why Change ?"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 5:16pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza, my gut feeling right now would be to sit tight unless there is a need to change. The market is overheated in all directions.
That will have to reverse in due course and it will become once again a buyers market.
The margins of Govt discounts have already been captured by the manufacturers - raising prices at the point of export. Was always going to happen.
If you have a good system right now, I would sit and wait. farmers have been buying utes before the sin tax kicked in. But again, there are no discounts in that market. They are just avoiding a further tax.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 8:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a totally unqualified opinion on that Bazza, not based on any sort of fact. Don't get one. At least not until you've seen a few at the boat ramps.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 9:55pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

buy jap not chinese they have no resale value.they are crap
x2
Plus you would be supporting the world's greatest polluter.  Sort of ironic.
Having said that small purchases of terminal tackle and accessories are OK Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 10:11pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just curious, why do you want a hybrid/electric vehicle?  We're looking in to a change of vehicle for the wife and considered an EV, but from a purely financial point of view they don't really seem to make any sense yet.  Sure, you can be all green and claim that you're saving the planet, but you are paying a big price for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 4:13am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Just curious, why do you want a hybrid/electric vehicle?  We're looking in to a change of vehicle for the wife and considered an EV, but from a purely financial point of view they don't really seem to make any sense yet.  Sure, you can be all green and claim that you're saving the planet, but you are paying a big price for it.
EV/Hybrid .Hmm going green to do your litle bit to help CO2 levels great. But think about who have suffered mining the cobalt/lithium for that battery and who keeps pumping plumes in to astmoshere ,China/India and the pollutants from Russia/Ukraine war wont be helpng and the thousands of polluting ships bring your stuff to NZ. When a EV price equals that of an ICE vehicle then might start thinking about one.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 5:47am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I read an article which said that for an EV to have the same Carbon footprint as a normal vehicle they have to do somewhere between 12,000km and 151,000km. It depends largely on the make up of the type of power generation, so in NZ gets down to the lower end of scale. I didn't see mention of recycling though, which is 25% higher for EV.

Replacing a perfectly good vehicle to go green, doesn't make sense to me because the manufacturing of a vehicle creates a lot of carbon.

If you need to replace a end of life vehicle, it's different.

Anyway, getting back to the original point. I would have large concerns about front wheel drive. I wouldn't go there with some of the ramps I use, rear wheel drive is bad enough with my heavy tub.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 9:03am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would expect trouble with front wheel drive, particularly on that steep Mangakura ramp, at low tide.

Speaking generally - we have bought a Toyota Yaris hybrid. I am mightily impressed - dropping from our Outlander 4WD 2.4L reduces fuel use from 7.4 to 5.2 L/100KM - the hybrid reduces it further to 3.1L/100Km - thats a combined saving of 60%.
The extra cost of the hybrid is only $2000 more than the standard drive. So it is well worthwhile getting a hybrid.

I wouldnt try to tow my boat with the Yaris - the Outlander is staying for towing the boat and occasional long trips.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:20am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Have decided it is best to go for a non plug in 4 WD hybrid for several reasons despite the suitable options being reduced & models like the Toyota RAV 4  that currently has a June 2023 delivery time .... crazy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 5:57am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

4wd is a good option. Buying a new wagon at the moment is cheaper than buying a 1 year old one, so the better option.

I know a guy who ordered a brand new Hilux, walked into the yard to pick it up and the salesman offered him $10,000 to leave and order again. He had buyers queuing up that would pay huge sums to buy it. Like you say, Crazy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:43am
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slightly off topic 
pretty old school myself love diesel 4x4wagons,V8 cars,bikes and so forth.... never owned a boat and have no intentions of doing so (surfcasting is were its at). Will be keeping the hilux utes and quads..
All this talk a about electric cars an so forth the question is what about the boats and the motors ?????.. Boat owners are going to be screwed soon, if the government can make $$$ from this they will.. 
Can see a new business coming up Surfcasting Charters for frustrated ex boat fisherman Wink   

on a serious note what do you guys think the future may hold for boats and motors? 

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good question Scuzzy. I think we will stay with convention petrol engines in the short term but there will be some big efficiency gains. If anything I think hybrid technology would be more realistic than full electric outboards.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Turnright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 3:13pm
Turnright View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We already have electric boat motors minkota for a start, just in the rather small size, I can see bigger ones coming soon. Not for me though, I do like the hybrid technology but definitely not keen on full electric in cars or boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 5:44pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

a company in northlandhave an electric inboard through a normal stern leg on the go . You can't tell it's electric till it takes off . No noise . I believe they are also onto the outboard vibe . good on them .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 6:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I guess the best aspect of electric boat motors are that it is a reasonably constant load. With a near flat torque curve an electric motor really suits a boat. The reason I go for the hybrid option is it is easy to jump start a petrol engine
Page  123 5>