Herb's Feather Duster

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herb's Feather Duster
    Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 12:03pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I am trying to shake off my Wooley Bugger paralysis.     During the lock down I must have tied at least 200 Buggers of all sexy colours and have got into a serious fly tying rut.     For the last few winters I have gravitated to wet lining and have given nymphing a back seat.     You can only look at an indicator for so long before they start to parade past you in your dreams.     There is no question that the Buggers are the go to streamers on the Tongariro but apart from the tail they lack movement especially in the often short spikey body hackle.     

One of the joys of fly tying is experimentation with ideas towards a distant end goal.     Right now for me it is how to incorporate maximum movement into my streamers on top of any rod manipulations.     The photos are of a couple of prototypes, which I am keen to try out on the Tonga in a couple of weeks.     I used two 6mm fluoro silicone beads, one in the front as an attractant and the other behind the hackle to give it some body and help pulsate the long fine hackle fibres.     I tried it under the tap and it worked but my worry is that the long strands might  wrap around the hook bend.     Will test that on a local river before my trip.

Cheers

Rainbow       
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 7:45pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting, Herb.
I always admire your innovative thinking when it comes to tying and fishing.

Other than the potential brittleness of marabou in sharp trout teeth, I can't see any issues with that tie. Some damsel patterns I've seen out of the US use clumps of marabou in the body. Mainly tied on top of the body, rather than fully around the shank.

I've seen 'schlappen' feathers - which have a lot of marabou-like webbing in them - used for a similar effect. The 'hackles' used in tying Woolly Buggers are supposed to be softish saddle feathers, not the stiff co*k hackles often used in commercial ties.

Another option you might like to try is to wrap rabbit strips around the shank - say for the front half of the hook, with a bead in front of the rabbit 'collar' and a few turns of sparkle chenille behind the rabbit (in front of the tail). 
The movement of rabbit fur in the water is magic.

You can either get side cut 'zonker' strips of various colours in shops, or as you strike me as a bloke who does his own pelts, cut sideways.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:11pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Tk    I have just found among my supply of furs and feathers some various size ostrich feathers   Amazing what you find when you are looking for something else.     I got them when I visited a commercial ostrich breeder near New Plymouth when these birds were promoted as the new Kiwi fruit on two legs.   There were that many shed feathers  lying on the ground that I could have easily stuffed a pillow.    That was a long time ago and I had forgotten I had them.   If you buy ostrich feathers you only get a big one with long fibres but I collected all sizes with different fibres.     Initially I was tying nymph bodies with them but now look at them as good for  streamers   The black fly is tied with one of the smaller  ostrich feathers.      One advantage of fly tying is that I don't worry losing a fly on a snag.    I often see anglers wading way out to their armpits to unhook a fly or pocking the rod down to do the same     Only last winter I watched a guy repeatedly pocking his Sage X into the rocks trying to save a $3.50 fly but ended up breaking  his rod tip.   False economy if you ask me!!!!    My flies are expandable as they cost me next to nothing.     I got 100 beautify streamer hooks from AliExpress for $7 and 100 silicone beads for $5.     My new 5 layer breathable waders and really good boots came to $360 all with free shipping.    A few years ago I got 68 bibbed hard bodied tuna lures ( had to buy some in lots) for just under $100 with just one of them costing $16 here     Talk about mark-up ripoffs.    These Chinese traders fall over themselves to please while I go to the local H&F shop and half the time they cant even say Hallo.      Just like the supermarket there is not enough competition.     Sorry about the rant but I hate getting ripped off.

Cheers

RAINBOW

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 2:22pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Different style of fishing but I’ve been tying wooly bugger ish patterns on small jigheads for a while. To get extra movement towards the head I mix it up a bit with hackles, chicabou, cdc, silly legs and more recently predator wrap. They all seem to work, always fun experimenting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 8:06pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good looking jigs     Do you use them on trout from a boat or casting?     I am sure they would work well on the canals  casting with very light gear.    Yes, experimenting is the fun part of the process from conception to creation.     

Keep doing it 

cheers 

Rainbow     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 8:16pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah just use them for trout around Tauranga and Rotorua. Casting from land find they’re at there best in slower water. Originally tied them to fish in the local canal but have done well in the stream mouths and streams of Rotorua.