Swellmap - new version's accuracy

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish n' giggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swellmap - new version's accuracy
    Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:11am
Fish n' giggles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is it me or have others noticed that Swellmap's website format has changed and forecast rating is a bit all over the show?  

I drove past Harbour Bridge this morning at around 9am and it is close to mirror condition on water and checked the Swellmap rating and it is 1 out of 10 (1 being worst).  Confused 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 5:18pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would describe the new format as a pigs ear..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 5:32pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like an updated version that has been launched.... that is only half complete.
I wonder why they messed with it. It was perfectly usable as it was.... ok not 100% accurate all the time... but still gave you a reasonable idea in conjunction with a couple of other forecast sites.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 6:22pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Doesn't work for me.
Typical of trying to fix something that wasn't really broken. It can only come out worse.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 6:42pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

More importantly .... this long wkd looks rather average out wide  (hauraki gulf) from what I can gather.
Sat arvo may be ok.... but not flash.
Is that what you other punters are seeing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 6:45pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My swell map for Sunday - in fact all the next days, is boating rated at 1. Thats as bad as it gets.
I am looking at a sea that is do-able right now and rated as 1. My mates both pulled up some other forecast this morning and noted Sat arvo improving and Sunday Primo.
Swell map says 1s all the way thru. ridiculous.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 7:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and you can still pull up the 'Legacy' website which has different ratings for the same location on the new maps.
Bamboozled.

Windy.com here we come...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 7:28pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gave up on SwellMap a while ago. Moved to Windy, now PredictWind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 7:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

This thread is starting to read like a description of a rest home TV room after cabbage soup for lunch.Smile

On my Far North trip, we found it was a case of trying to get a bit of an impression/best guess from averaging three or four different sites, take that with a grain of salt and basically react to the on-water conditions once we got out there.

none had very accurate forecasts for that area, I guess because they're mostly international forecasting models using data from limited actual sites?

I've read some on here say at least Swellmap is a MetService-owned product, but that doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of accuracy - even smack bang in the middle of the Waitemata...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 8:42pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was very dissappointed when I looked at swellmap yeterday, I use the site a lot, one click and you get wind, swell, chop, tides and and even a sun/rain indication. Not liking the new layout, does my head in when things get upgraded for no apparent reason.
I see about 10 years ago this happened and there was a thread on here about it, maybe ithe new layout will grow on me.
Pity theres not an option to use the old layout
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:35pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When going out from Tutukaka I now ignore Swell map and Met service "ratings" but instead look only at the swell and chop forecast which is possibly more accurate?  Plus of course informed by what i see when out for a walk.  I've been out in lovely 2's, plus crappy 8's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:05pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SwellMap ratings make no sense. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:21pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah not a fan of the current "Upgrade"... Windy.com for me. Just hope they don't also change a winning formula!
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 7:31am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Swell Map ratings have generally been pretty good for me. They are (were) my Go To. Especially for planning a possible trip 2-3 days out. Something has changed to totally screw what they are doing to the point of useless.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 9:47am
Reel Magic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think they are trying to emulate the w@nker kotahiroad to zero version for the sea. Make it all 1's then nobody will go to sea which will reduce drownings.

www.reelmagic.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 12:34pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL.
In these days, anything is possible. I certainly would not be boating based on the swell map forecasts currently, and yet I considered chucking the boat in this morning - because the sea was decent.
I checked the swellmap surf page and it still seems to be in the old format - they havent managed to bugger that one yet.
If you have a surf spot near your location you could use that one.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 7:39pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a look at swellmap and clicked boating ,scrolled down and only gives wave direction and hieght,wheres the wind??

Think I will stick with Windyty/predict wind
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 8:23pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use the app which I downloaded on my phone and there are no changes to that, still looks the same.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 10:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Gave up on SwellMap a while ago. Moved to Windy, now PredictWind.

Hi MB, I presume you're subscribing - which service did you go with? I see there is a 'basic' and then quite a step up in the US$ cost to the next level.

Interestingly the folk i stayed with in Rangiputa said Windguru's free forecast for that spot is the most accurate - but that it's very specific ie. you can't expect the same conditions up the coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 8:16am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm using the free version, phone app and desktop, but have created account. 
Page  12>