Studs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studs
    Posted: 30 May 2022 at 9:19pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just got  a pair of wading boots for the Tongariro winter season.     Years ago I screwed  12 mm round headed screws in the soles of my neoprene waders and am certain they have saved my life many times over.    After 4 seasons they are still working making wading in fast water on slippery boulders a lot safer.  Although they are not stainless they have not rusted or pulled out.     The heads are a bit flat but still grip on rocks.     I have now screwed about 60 of these screws in my new boots as you will see on the attached photo.     They cost only about $10 and do not add any noticeable  weight to the boots.     

Cheers

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 10:41pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks like they will do the trick nicely rainbow.Do some people also use felt on the soles of there boots for the same reason.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 7:18am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by White snake White snake wrote:

Looks like they will do the trick nicely rainbow.Do some people also use felt on the soles of there boots for the same reason.

Unfortunately felt got banded about 10 years ago. Was probably the best grip on slippy rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 8:12am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where did you get your screws from, Rainbow?

I still have a pair of felt-soled boots and use them on the sane stream only, for last 20 years.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 5:19pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I get them from a local engineering shop      12mm round head for Phillips screw driver.    To save time I used an electric battery drill.   All done in half an hour.     There are shorter ones also in case the sole is not thick enough.    Don't go stainless not worth the extra money.

I have seen tungsten and aluminium cleats that cost a fortune.  

When felts were legal I also screwed a few into the felt sole at heal and toe , which made my boots grip even better

Cheers

Rainbow   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 4:55pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Rainbow - need a few more studs for Tongariro. Getting a bit less stable as a 74 y/o but still keen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 10:40pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I also have noticed stability is waning when wading as I get older   Two knee replacements don't help.    Will turn 86 in a few days.    The studs and a wading stick are my most trusted  fishing mates in the Tongariro.      I don't go in much deeper than just over my knees and can make up the rest with good casts.     

A couple of years ago I hooked a fish on nymph gear and as I prepared to land it I stepped on a round cannon ball and landed on my back in knee deep water.    My neoprene waders kept my afloat and while hanging onto my rod the fish  slowly pulled me out into deeper water.     I managed to scramble up and shaking the water from my sleeves I stepped on an other loose boulder.   This time I dived in head first.  Surprisingly the fish was still on.    Again I got up now much wetter and finally landed the fish.    A guy fishing further up the pool had watched this comedy and came down.   With a serious face he asked:" While you had your head under water did you see any fish?"    Luckily by that time I had regained my sense of humour and we both had a good laugh.   

Cheers

Rainbow  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 7:15pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have to hand it to you, Herb, you are a legend for not letting age get in the way of your passions.
No doubt genetics plays a part in longevity, and the way you live your life in terms of diet and exercise - but not many of us will be tramping around the Tongariro and kayaking out to catch tuna at 86! Happy upcoming birthday.

in terms of the thread, more great sensible problem solving from you.
I couldn't believe the difference felt soles made to wading the Tongariro after years basically in gumboots on those rocks (my Magnum waders). I was finally able to cross and fish the bouldery reaches up around the old Cliff Pool etc with confidence. I have a permanent ankle disability from an old rugby injury, so slipping in between rocks was agonising and dangerous for me.

I don't think the ban on felt was justified, but I'm not didymo expert, so...

After reading a lot of reviews I imported a pair of the Patagonia 'tractor' boots with aluminium bars across the sole and in my opinion they are just about the equivalent of felt in terms of grip. Pricey (even at the considerably lower price I paid in the US) and heavy clumping along on long walks in the middle and upper reaches, but as you say, the grip when it counts might save my life (or at least a re-occurrence of my old injury).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 8:14am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

I also have noticed stability is waning when wading as I get older   Two knee replacements don't help.    Will turn 86 in a few days.    The studs and a wading stick are my most trusted  fishing mates in the Tongariro.      I don't go in much deeper than just over my knees and can make up the rest with good casts.     

A couple of years ago I hooked a fish on nymph gear and as I prepared to land it I stepped on a round cannon ball and landed on my back in knee deep water.    My neoprene waders kept my afloat and while hanging onto my rod the fish  slowly pulled me out into deeper water.     I managed to scramble up and shaking the water from my sleeves I stepped on an other loose boulder.   This time I dived in head first.  Surprisingly the fish was still on.    Again I got up now much wetter and finally landed the fish.    A guy fishing further up the pool had watched this comedy and came down.   With a serious face he asked:" While you had your head under water did you see any fish?"    Luckily by that time I had regained my sense of humour and we both had a good laugh.   

Cheers

Rainbow  
Ever watched the movie, Ä River Runs Through It"? A young Brad Pitt, fishing family in Montana with some good fishing moments!
During the "big fish"year at Taupo. I hooked a fish in the Ranger's Pool on the TT and it took me downstream and landed it on the Lady's mile, about 500+ metres and that took much slipping and tumbling - felt soles in those days and nearly 20 years younger than I am now and I'm only 74.