What is your experience?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your experience?
    Posted: 29 May 2022 at 8:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I make no bones about it, my area of specialty is the Manukau Harbour and Auckland's west coast. I have only fished there since 1989 (I'm old ok?), but it's where I feel most at home. My first fishing was as a kid in Te Kuiti for eels, then Auckland's east side for sprats, parore etc as a kid, with some wharf fishing in the far north in the 80's. I graduated (?) to boat fishing in the early 90's venturing as far as Little Barrier initially then further afield as well as all the usual inner gulf spots, Ponui, Waikeke, Rangi, Rakino, Te Atatu, Kawau, Tiri etc etc. 

I haven't a lot of experience in the Kaipara, maybe 12 or so trips in the late 80's early 90's but it's an interesting place. I've done a little boating around Tutukaka - both the coast and the Kumara Patch, Gisborne, Whakatane (White Island and The Volkners), Great Barrier (of course), Tairua, The Aldermans (naturally). 

Again not a lot of freshwater experience but have fished Tongariro, Okataina, Kai Iwi lakes, Lake Taupo, a couple of local lakes in Franklin and Twizel for my only ever brown trout that wasn't even legal size Big smile. Ohhh and a few small SI rivers, and Akaroa harbour from a dinghy 

I have only fished overseas once and that was WA where I caught a samson fish and the coolest fish ever (by name at least) a black arse! Although I spent several hours watching some fishermen in Stockholm catching lax.

I think I've missed a few but am keen to hear where and what some of you legends have fished.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 10:10pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished lots of places in the world for everything from minnows to marlin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 4:36am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Growing up in Devonport wharf fishing sprats local beach jar fishing.small boats inner harbour..16 ish first trailer sailor Kawau.leigh.waiheke.coromandel.break 1996 to 2003 keel boat gt barrier bay of islands tutukaka Whangarei whangamumu.all snapper fishing kahawai.2021 started odd Manukau trip.once over the bar.yah been on the Tasman sea.suppose nearly 55 yrs around water.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 9:43am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grow up in Hamilton so surfcasted and boat fished raglan aotea harbour and marakopa. Fished both sides of coromandel from Thames up and down to Tauranga.

Uncle owned huia motor camp so holidayed there and fished that end of the manukau.

Sifted upto howick and fished the bottom end for a few years, then shifted to whangaparoa and have fished from cape Rodney across to barrier and lots of places in between. Moved out to hellensville for 15 years so fished the Kaipara.

Chased mud fish while I lived in Hamilton at most of the normal spots down as far as lake aniwhenua.

Fished in Australia and Fiji.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:20pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished when I was very young, when you could go there without your car being trashed, Fly fishing with the Old boy in the Ureweras, Later in the lakes around Rotorua spawning times at the stream mouths, Lake Taupo Fly fishing streams and river mouths, and trolling, Sea fishing mainly by boat at Raglan, Tairua, Gulfetc
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:24pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

QUOTE :- Smudge

Although I spent several hours watching some fishermen in Stockholm catching lax.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Unquote

Yes  I spent quite a bit of time watching fisherpersons trying their luck in Stockholm trying to decide whether to go fetch my gear & join them or not but never saw anyone catch anything so decided against it ... after all it was Sweden & plenty of better things to do. Nevertheless it was intriguing to see a salmon river winding thru the center of a sizeable city albeit pretty well concrete lined & the water hardly crystal clear.

Did fish in the mountain area, which was notable in the fact caught the smallest trout ever, was amazed it could survive as the permafrost had not thawed completely so water temp must have been near freezing, guy I was fishing with said where we were standing would have metre deep ice & snow in the winter.

As well as fairly comprehensively fished NZ have fished in :-
Tasmania
Nthn Territory
Xmas Is
Vanuatu
Solomons
Nuie
Kauai Hawaii
Samoa
Norfolk Is
Rarotonga
Colorado
Scotland
and probably one or two I have forgotten.

Hmnn had not realised how much time I have spent fishing .... maybe wife is right, there are plenty of chores around the property that could of been attended to .... ah well too late now.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 3:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, that's some effort alright Bazza! Sounds like the same river in Stockholm, catching salmon in a major city was pretty hard to believe until I saw it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:49pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It started for me around 5 yrs old, grew up in Pakuranga Auckland, spats off the wharf with the trusty bait catcher. Progressed onto eels in the local creeks. Boat fishing with my father in the Tamaki strait. Also fished Whangarei harbour and Bream Bay alot up to the age of 16. After that I was able to travel a bit further (own vehicle) and spent many weekends up Coromandel rock hopping. Then bought a kayak ( before it was called kayak fishing). Used it from the far north to the bottom of the deep south. A 12ft tinny was the next weapon. Predominantly used in Coromandel, Clevedon Flats, Bottom end Waiheke and Tamaki Strait. Did a season on a surface longliner targeting Bigeye Tuna out of the far north.
Which brings me to now. Currently got 2 boats, 4m glass and a Mac360 which covers the bases I'm into. Also now involved in an inshore tagging program (first of it's kind) and involved with volunteering for MPI fisheries.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:56pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

It started for me around 5 yrs old, grew up in Pakuranga Auckland, spats off the wharf with the trusty bait catcher. Progressed onto eels in the local creeks. Boat fishing with my father in the Tamaki strait. Also fished Whangarei harbour and Bream Bay alot up to the age of 16. After that I was able to travel a bit further (own vehicle) and spent many weekends up Coromandel rock hopping. Then bought a kayak ( before it was called kayak fishing). Used it from the far north to the bottom of the deep south. A 12ft tinny was the next weapon. Predominantly used in Coromandel, Clevedon Flats, Bottom end Waiheke and Tamaki Strait. Did a season on a surface longliner targeting Bigeye Tuna out of the far north.
Which brings me to now. Currently got 2 boats, 4m glass and a Mac360 which covers the bases I'm into. Also now involved in an inshore tagging program (first of it's kind) and involved with volunteering for MPI fisheries.
I did a day once on a longliner up in paihia, put out a thousand hooks and rebaited a couple of times, very big day I was pooked and had to drink a lot of beer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's awesome Kitno. We both forgot to add Ranfurly Banks to our experiences. No pics please Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 8:03pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, left out Ranfurly Banks. But if I was to list everything, I'd still be typing tomorrow.
18 hr shift is the norm on a longliner.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 8:16pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agreed I fished in a private pond in the US once, paid my money and got to cast some lures around at what I think might have been bass.

Went to a massive Basspro shop down south USA it had its own pond and stream so you could try the rods out.

I went to a gun shop once in some hick town in Mississippi and the guy behind the counter said if you want to try the hand guns just take them out into the car park and let a few rounds off into the air, he said just be careful someone doesn’t shoot back. I hope he was joking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 8:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Come on Kandrew! Let's keep to the subject, nothing to do with handguns here! 

Ohhh I have shot a 357 Magnum, so cool. Have not put any shots through a Desert Storm but it felt rather satisfying in my handWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 9:32pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Growing up in Devonport wharf fishing sprats local beach jar fishing.small boats inner harbour..16 ish first trailer sailor Kawau.leigh.waiheke.coromandel.break 1996 to 2003 keel boat gt barrier bay of islands tutukaka Whangarei whangamumu.all snapper fishing kahawai.2021 started odd Manukau trip.once over the bar.yah been on the Tasman sea.suppose nearly 55 yrs around water.

Ha ha ha,
Yeah, I remember jar fishing next to the old Devonport wharf.
Fresh hot tank loaf from the bakery for the fish and us kids.
Phew, how the years have flown. Tongue
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 9:41pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Ha ha ha,

I think Devonport Wharf was the first place I took my kids fishing at around 3 yrs old
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 9:53pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Ha ha ha,

I think Devonport Wharf was the first place I took my kids fishing at around 3 yrs old
Started my fishing of the wharves in Wellington when I was 5 (1965) with a plastic rod and reel LOL.
Fished the harbour, Makara, Paramata, Waikanae, Foxton Beach, Lake Ferry.
Used to come up and billet at Devonport when playing rugby at about 12 (1972).
Used to jar fish and jump of the back of the old two way ferry wash and ride the ferries back and forth for ages which could be done as long as you did not breach the gate on the Auckland side..
Sheesh OSH would have a fit now.
Fished the Sounds, Christchurch, Bluff. Nelson et al.
Fished Hawkes Bay, Bay of Plenty, The big Muddy Wink, The Coromandel, The Gulf (Most of the time now) Northland et al.
Nothing long term (except for the Gulf) but got around.
Each location with its own particular challenges.
Never had a boat, have always been a proffesional bludger unless landbased fishing. LOL
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 3:10am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ha ha ha,
Got in too jar fishing when 7 or 8 an old guy use too go to the beach by the wharf and I would follow him,never knew he was a nz great cricketer at the time "Vernon Scott" some days didnt need a jar as the kings/kahawai pasted the beach and the sprats launched themselves ashore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Orchidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:36am
Orchidman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished the Kaipara since I was 7 yrs old, that makes it 61yrs. Have fished the gulf, Manakau, and Northland  over the years but the Kaipara has my heart.
Spent the last 16 yrs working a charter boat fishing the harbour and over the bar, up to 5-6 days a week. Also have spent every opening day of the duck season on the kaipara for the last 61yrs........
Surfcasted most of the upper West/East coast as well but prefer being on the water, not standing next to it......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 4:24pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wheres "Steps" thought he would of enlightened us all by now??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 5:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wheres "Steps" thought he would of enlightened us all by now??

It's not a pissing contest Paul. He's free to join in and share. 

There sure is a lot of experience on offer here for sure.
Page  12>