Vehicle tow ratings

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:40am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Interesting Paul my XC90 weighs 6 tonne and has a unbraked tow capacity of 3.5 tonne but I know it will tow and stop a lot more.
Kerry if you were to use at you maximum weight/combined 9.5 tonne you are breaking the law,maximum for car licence is 6000kg now you need a clas 2 licence,Lots of grey areas.
A mate got a ticket towing his stock car behind a izuzu atlas light truck,got pulled in to a weigh bridge at Ohakea. Now has a class 2 licence fine waved.

The holder of a full Class 1 driver licence may drive any rigid vehicle with a GVM of not more than 6,000kg. If towing any other vehicle the aggregate (total) of the GVM's of both vehicles must not exceed 6,000kg. If it does a full Class 2 licence is required.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:05am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Interesting Paul my XC90 weighs 6 tonne and has a unbraked tow capacity of 3.5 tonne but I know it will tow and stop a lot more.
Kerry if you were to use at you maximum weight/combined 9.5 tonne you are breaking the law,maximum for car licence is 6000kg now you need a clas 2 licence,Lots of grey areas.
A mate got a ticket towing his stock car behind a izuzu atlas light truck,got pulled in to a weigh bridge at Ohakea. Now has a class 2 licence fine waved.

Sorry Paul got my numbers wrong there, it weighs 6060lbs so not metric tonne.

2735kg so 75% of that is 2047kg the specified tow weight for a braked trailer is 2700kg and unbraked trailer is 750kg which is basically a garden trailer.

https://www.aa.co.nz/cars/owning-a-car/towing/towing-weights/volvo/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:08am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2748kg big difference Kerry Smile

See BOB cats etc on trailers,must getting close,even some of those new caravans with the 5th wheel look close to over lenght

Width has been increased from 2.4 m to 2.55m think you can go to 3.1 allowing for beam of boat but must be marked lenght from memory overall 12m
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 10:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys for the cavtual numbers for tow weights etc... I know there are limits etc.. and as within them dont need to rem the actual off the top of my head...unless something changes

. I tried to get the tow hitch weight of my last trailer but it maxed out the scales. Wondered why I struggled to lift it

If dig will find most 'accidents' are not because of over weight but bad loading

Again a very critical but not legal and as far as I understand not covered under manufactures specs etc.. at best a 'recommendation'
If you have any issue with going down a hill and bit snake ....or snake at any time, reason will most likely be not enough weight on the hitch..
And even at illegal speeds up over 110kmh.. then you know you have it rightWink
 Think PJC posted some time back a U Tube on it.

For the general caravan boat, 2cub house trailer, around the 85/95kg vertical weight AT the height of the ball when you (approx same weight ) stand on it.
Standing on it height is even more critical on a duel axle..
Simply measured with bathrooms scales , a bit of 3x2 as spacer under the hitch.

Couple examples:
When brought our boat, duel axle, towing home on the motorway, got bit stuck in an outsde lane and had to feed back into the left lane.. doing so resulted in a slight , only slight snake for very short period.
 The Rubber winch post V had been shimmed way back with 4x4...Did the above with scales,
Re shimmed and next trip to the ramp which included hills straights open road, tested, and re shimmed 2 more times on way out and back...Could travel nps well over 110km /hr and not feel it on the back of the Big Horn.. except weight up steep hills.

Then upgraded to the SSangyoung ute...and checked ball height was lower .. heavier right? I thought so.. wrong!...This changes the balance and on a duel axle just a few mm can go from 85kg to 15kg nps... limit was about 60km even on the flat open road.
When the weight is take off the back wheels things change fast.
I did the bathroom scales stand on hitch height, normal load in tray (I was 86kg back then), checked the hitch and 15kg was on the ball !
Then worked out I needed to increase the ball height 45mm to get to 95 kg (85 being target , little heavier is ok.
 Removing the V rubber shim did very little
 Local certified engineering shop cut and re set to 37mm higher.. which was all that could be obtained due to the curve of the hitch... and in 'theory' with the scales would give me 80 to 85 kg... normal load in ute tray.

So once again I can whizz around cnrs up down hills and combo of these to 110km/hr nps...have gone to 120 and suspect, nothing actually there but by 'feel' that is absolute limit.

I had to tow a m8s digger and bobcat from Manrewa to Doubltless bay, about 500km think is couple months back.. told him when he loads up his trailer how to and make sure the ball height /weight is right... A dream trip..solid as.
Last moment morning leaving, he hired a heavy duel axle transporter and put a car on it, estimated the weight on ball, hitched to his ssangyoung ute and my wife to tow.
 She had never towed anything in her life except a mt house trailer around the block and learnt to back.
The whole trip, due to inexperience, not knowing much better, whys hows etc, and sensible caution she did not go over 75 tops 80km/hr and 70km going down hills.
She was Thrown in the deep end and did not drown..
Put someone bit gungho behind the wheel and would guarantee something bad would have happened..

So long post, bit of story, may be interesting or not, a little  real life reality personal examples to these things to think about ???

Bad loading , or more correctly , bad hitch weight will get you into far more strife than being outside manufactures tow 'weight, yet inside legal braking distance...And because bad hitch weight its then the insurance etc start jumping up and down...

Be inside the legal braking distance
Inside legal speed limits
Drive with lot distance up front.. enough that if look around, something happens ahead, you only need to slow, not use brakes..
With good hitch weight.

Not PhD BS stuff.
 and there are no claims or issues.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 8:39am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

The holder of a full Class 1 driver licence may drive any rigid vehicle with a GVM of not more than 6,000kg. If towing any other vehicle the aggregate (total) of the GVM's of both vehicles must not exceed 6,000kg. If it does a full Class 2 licence is required.
An important thing to note there is that it is the GVM, not the weight of the vehicle that they take.  I got caught out with a campervan, although it only weighed about 3.5t the chassis GVM was 5.9t so I couldn't tow anything without a class 2.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 8:21pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3500 is maximum for wof after that yr into COF material, Also dont forget to take the ball weight into account, i brought a cx5 because it could tow 2000kg braked BUT only has a limit of 85 kg down force on the ball, something that in OZ the cops are very tough on is the downward weight
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mo-Mac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 5:20am
Mo-Mac1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My dad taught me a great rule 40 years ago and I still hold to it. 50kg per tone in a single Axle trailer. I use this up to 2000kg trailers on my old prado and have never had a sway issue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:05am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Decided it would be prudent to seek clarification &  found :-

There is no legal obligation to comply with manufactures rating or is it a requirement for a WOF or COF therefore presumably not subject to being
an infringement offence.

Then on to my insurance companies stance which was less concise despite
being a 17 pg reply to the question which I took to be as follows :-

Non compliance with manufactures recommended ratings generally  speaking, because they are not a legal requirement, would not affect your
policy & the cover stated ( no pun intended ) in your policy.

HOWEVER if it was decreed that any accident had been as the result of exceeding the ratings then it is possible any claim could, or might be declined!

How many boat owners here are towing an unbraked trailer, or even if braked in excess of the 1500 or 750 kg relative rating are at possible risk of having a claim declined ... a rather scary prospect surely.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <12
Share Topic