Preventing rust on a new boat trailer

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 11:43am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Bounty Hunter and Steps, just the sort of information I was looking for. It's a wonder that this isn't standard practice, or even something manufacturers do as part of production.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 12:23pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe there are some trailer manufactures and ppl who repair offer a similar 'after market service' . like buy a new car and they offer to put special protection over the paint and upholstery..
But yes I go along with what you say.. its like selling life jackets with out crotch straps.. an after market addon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 6:46pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If ya went aluminium ya don't have to worry about any of that spaying on oil, grease, lanolin, turps, kero, or what ever to combat rust.....just say'n.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:48pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

If ya went aluminium ya don't have to worry about any of that spaying on oil, grease, lanolin, turps, kero, or what ever to combat rust.....just say'n.

If I'd just bought a super yacht, it wouldn't have been an issue either.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 6:20am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'd be spending the rest of my life looking for fatigue cracks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 8:33am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd be spending the rest of my life looking for fatigue cracks.Thumbs Up
Good practice regardless if galv or alloy

Funny you mentioned that.. one of my regular crew is an engineer, few yrs was fascinated at the mareati club ramp ramp by several of the alloy trailers.. mumbling about anelling welds , correct alloy /stress and lot other stuff way beyond my understanding. One pulled up beside us at the washdown and he pointed about 2 or 3 cracks .. they guy said the trailer was only a few months old but had done a few long trips.This was quite a few yrs back , things most properly (hopefully) changed a lot since then..
 On the other hand, I still check my galv chassis tyres even before a 5 min trip to the ramp..
So in retrospect doing so in my books is a positive regardless if galv or alloy.

Seen a few cracked galv trailers at the ramp also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 8:23pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep was waiting for someone to bite with the ol stress cracks argument.  There have been alloy trailers around for years now.... They have the designs pretty well sorted by now. Just go to the boat show if ya wanna see just how seriously manufactures are taking aluminium as the go-to material for there trailers.
Don't wanna hi-jack the thread MB... Was just chucking it out there for a bit of conversation.
But yes... absolutely they are expensive. Once you have one though .... You'll never go back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 7:18am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Schampy, I was being a little tongue in cheek. As you say the manufacturing of the ali trailers has come a long way and there appear to be some very good designs out there now.

It would still be a consideration and would recommend researching the manufacturer before purchase.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 7:13pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Update. I bought this kit as recommended by Bounty Hunter: https://www.wyatt.co.nz/shop/PAINT/PROTECTIVE+PRODUCTS/Rust+Related/Pro+Form+DIY+Inner+Panel+Cavity+Wax+Rustproofing+Kit+PF21242?sku=PF21242.html

Applied it tonight. Slightly messy process with at least one explosion of product in my face, but treated a standard trailer. Put it in all the holes until it was leaking out the other end (sounds so wrong!). 

Started applying CRC Soft Seal. Couldn't get the 4L bottles locally, so just spray cans 500ml. Easily got through a can. Will probably need another two. Very obviously yellow when applied. Not necessarily a bad thing because you can see what has already been covered.

Also have a can of Lanocote for fittings, but haven't got around to applying it yet. 

That should do it!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:14pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One more question. In my experience, the winch gets worst affected by corrosion. Treat it with anything?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 8:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its the winbch drum I have found gets the most corrosion damage.
I layer up lanocoate , leave few days then load wind the riope back on every couple years.
 The rest of my winch and post is pretty clean.
 The winch bushes are about $1.75 plastic.. dont lube or get CRC petroleum products into them. They are meant to be sealed. I mix a bit of inox food grade grease and oil together and inject thru the seals with fine syringe.
If you get the noisy/ shudders on pull out...the 1st set gears/ bushes to look at is the idler gear/ shaft...inject that will sort.. dont bother with the rest for next few yrs....
The gears I keep pretty well greased up, every time I grease the motor bushes, check bearing buddies etc.
 I also have a short 2 T tie down from the bow eye hooked back over the winch. Pull boat up with winch, pull up the tie down then back the tension off the winch a little...take the load off the drum plastic bushes.
Then re check the rear engine well tie downs.. these also hold the boat forward.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 10:01am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Steps, Lanocote it is then. Rope may get a bit sticky, but probably a price worth paying.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:55pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This lanacote sticky thing..
I use the pot grease then diluted with old turps or kero.. this evaporate slow which means gives lot time to soak / spread into cavities cracks etc.
As to sticky, yep for a few days.. then its sort of sold sicky for a month .. then its just brown marks...

And stick rope.. you unwind the rope, slap the lanacoate in ... then wind it back up TIDY  under bit of load from out over the hitch side.
Loaded .. I used to use the old bradford with the handbrake just on...
Reason, and have no idea why it works.. when wound on tidy it has a memory and will do so everytime.

And while got the rope unwound
My rope is about 2 to 3 turns still on the spool when hook the boat at the end of the roller trailer.
I work very hard at being lazy .. I found this out.. old posts when sorting ratios weight etc to pull the Commander up with a 18v drill..
It works out that once the 1st layer is wound on the spool , the next layer is around 1/3 heavier .. next layer 3/4 nearly 2X the weight...next think was well over 2X
So hence my rope is only as long as need, makes that last 'Im sick of this  'meter"' easier...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:56pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks again!
Page  <12