Preventing rust on a new boat trailer

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preventing rust on a new boat trailer
    Posted: 13 May 2022 at 7:57pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would you do anything to a new galvanised trailer before it gets wet for the first time? Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:23pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi MB, I had this product recommended to me by the company that rebuilt my trailer.

https://www.crc.co.nz/Soft-Seal/6895-b7b7b944-0c6e-46ae-ba41-d069b501063a/

There’s also the lanolin based products that work fine as well, but I used the Soft Seal because it dried and didn’t get sticky and collected dust.

Check out the video on the link page, spraying on to a trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:53pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks, sounds like what I'm looking for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 2:00pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lanoline also works well and is much cheaper. Buy a tub from somewhere like NZ Safety Blackwoods mix with a little meths or turps in a separate jar so it flows better and paint it on. I 'paint' my springs with it, and also blots/nuts. For inside the trailer box section, Fisholine is great. Plug up the drainage holes and use a compressor to spray inside. Its going to rust inside first of course. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 3:05pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks jackal. I was going to ask whether you would be covering the whole trailer and whether to use spray on or buy a big can and paint.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 4:06pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You only have to apply the soft seal once.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 5:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Soft seal sounds good!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 5:37pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Soft seal sounds good!
yea I sprayed my whole trailer with soft seal, but as jackel says about also a good idea to coat your springs and nuts and bolts with lanolin couple of times a year. These are the parts that always rust.

The only thing with the Soft Seal is it does have a slight yellow clear look, maybe try a can first.

I grabbed a couple of cans of this lanolin spray from Supercheap while it’s on special.

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/sca-lanolin-spray-big-blast---600g/593523.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 8:51pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers. I don't care about the yellow look. Do you still hose the trailer down as per normal after each use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:08pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

spraying a protective coating on the outside is only going to keep it looking pretty.

you need to tackle the inside of the framing if youre going to make a meaningful difference to the longevity of the trailer
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:01pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Cheers. I don't care about the yellow look. Do you still hose the trailer down as per normal after each use?
I sprayed mind about 6 years ago and I just wash it down normally.

As bounty hunter says good idea to treat the inside of the box section as well, that’s where the lanolin is good for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm all ears!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 7:04am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sprayinging lanoline on trailer help, just be aware trailer will collect all dust and dirt from road.trailer will be black.
I do mine once a year
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 7:35am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes that’s where the Soft Seal drys and is not sticky.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:15am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think I'm sold on Soft Seal for the frame and Lanocote for fittings. Just wondering how to get product in to the internals of the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:15pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If the box section has been capped off at the end.There maybe small 6mm holes drilled in areas of the trailer when they galvanised it. You can try to get product in through there or if the ends of the box section are open, then spray it in through there.

The lanolin spray from Supercheap has a lot. Of pressure in the can and is quite high volume, my trailer is open at the ends so I use a long piece of plastic pipe and thread up the box section.

But some guy’s on here may have a better way which would be great to hear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:05pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:33pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:32am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been doing this on all our trailers for 35/40 odd yrs. Scored 2 X5L containers lanocoate grease way back then. Our boat trailer is 40yrs old  yet to have a weld repair other than couple mud guard support ripped on a fence post.

Trailers are well washed and water blast then let dry for few days.
 If any surface rust, wire brush and phosphoric acid (rust kill) without the white epoxy additive.
 Do not put the acid on any good galve areas, it eats the galv.

I 1/2 fill a jam jar with lanocoate grease and near fill with turps/ kero. With old brush slowly build up a soln of grease about 1/2 the jar.
Then paint well into springs back of wheels hubs etc. Remove the wheels , makes access for painting and spraying easy later.
Using a elcheapo super cheap panel beaters body under spray gun.. has a spay tube about 10/12".... 1/3 fill gun with lanocoate soln and top off with turps....I have topped off with fisholene fliud before.. cause 'was there'
My box chassis chassis rails are open each end
Important: hand a rag over the other end of the chassis rail from end going to spray do not then lanocoate will end up over the cars, neighbours windows.
Spray up one end the from the other, doesnt take much.
Spray chassis cross members , springs etc. forcing what hasa been painted further into springs and crevasses.
 Whole process takes about 20 min not including painting springs.

Do not spray winches .

It remains tacky for a while..
 After couple days in the sun its just tacky...doesnt pick up dust etc, but do not go over dusty metal roads for a week or so.
It leaves a slightly brown ting to the trailer.. not pretty but on the other had becomes a point of conservation as what it is and that the trailer is actually cared for.

I have tried the lanocoate in a can .. you will use a lot cans and just doesnt get deep in places really needs it, like a gun and compressor...and stays tacky far longer

Down side.. bit of over spray on the hull.. not really noticeable, but if fussy wipes off easy with bit turps and rags.

So thats 30 odd yrs of actual real hands on personal trial and error experience, and results, originally based on my grandfather spraying his farm machinery with waste oil in the 1950s and before.
 Hope some may find it usefull.

Page  12>