Advise for a total newbie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise for a total newbie
    Posted: 08 May 2022 at 12:00pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi everyone
Total newbie to kayak fishing. I have been out once on a tandem kayak to fish and enjoyed so much that I am keen on getting serious about kayak fishing. I have few questions I would like to ask

1. Safety - is it essential to be out there with someone else or is solo with all the safety equipment enough? I plan to take vhf and plb

2. Kayak itself - Are there any places in Akl that hire out fishing kayaks? I am guessing there are few reputable brands out there with different opinions by different people. I would prefer a sea trial before purchase if possible

3. Reels - is it worth investing in reels specific for kayak use? It looks like the reels get hammering from saltwater and would prefer not to use my stella or certate if it is going to ruin them

Any advise to steer me to the right direction would be greatly appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 12:35pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it's prudent to paddle with someone else when starting out. Having said that, I didn't and that goes for a lot of other people as well! It's a surprisingly unsocial sport. Kayaks have a habit of drifting at different speeds and directions. Sounds like you have your head screwed on re: safety.

Not sure about Auckland, but I would recommend contacting Rob Fort in Coromandel. He does hire and sales and is very knowledgeable about kayak fishing.

I would get a Penn Slammer III or IV for kayak fishing. Waterproof if you believe the marketing, but at the very least highly water-resistant. I had a Slammer III on my jetski for a couple of years and no issues. Still looks like new. It just got a quick wash down after each trip. Aside from dunking, gear gets way wetter on a ski versus a kayak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 1:31pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where in Auck are you based
East auck kayak fishing club & nth shore kayak fishing club have Viking 400 kayaks to use on club days, I think east auck has a reload as well... I think 20 bucks or free, cant remember... good bunch of guys in both clubs & they do regular day trips where newbies tag along
http://www.nskfc.org.nz/2022-calendar/NewTab1
http://www.eakfc.org/Club-Trips/Up-Coming-weekend-Trips
Both clubs are more active on facebook

Its always better to go out with someone else when starting out, but get some time on the water to learn your balance in various sea conditions. I nearly flipped my kayak first time out, when I flicked a bait out... the motion of me doing so I nearly went for an unplaned swim
I learned solo, stayed in close to shore & only ventured out wide when the conditions suited my kayaking skill level... just get your tides right, its no fun at the end of the day to battle against a running tide
https://canoeandkayak.co.nz do kayak courses to help you start out, I did the course years ago when I bought my kayak & can highly recomend it, especially the safety side of it... learn self rescue
The rest of your experience is just time on the water

Some kayaks are more drier than others in the same sea conditions
In my viking reload I would take out the stella, just rinse off after use & service yearly
Ive found the low profile baitcasters are not worth the bother of taking out on a kayak & yet, spin reels are ok, especially your certate with its waterproofness
Some of the bling gear that is used on kayaks, ppl just look after their gear, but is mostly spin reels of slammers, certates & stay away from cheap sh*t

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 8:39pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thank you guys for your input since I am based east Akl I think I should do the course first and hire one from the east Akl club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 10:33am
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Like other suggested, join a club and try a few models before you buy. That will save heaps, time money.
There're pedal version kayaks. Many find it very dry and stable, but it is heavier so a trailer or roof loader is needed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 11:13am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could hire/try at Fregs in Okahu bay

different style but could be learning curve??

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic