Raising the transom

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 2:51pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It's not so much the 4 stroke (although that would be nice) as the lack of availability of suitable 20" engines. I'm just not willing to wait for years to find a 130-150HP 20" engine that's 10-20 years old and backed with a warranty by a dealer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 3:40pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And that is the exact position I was in...
I had given up... back to locating a 25" and had the glass/ resin etc in the shed
Then struck it very lucky one came up down Taupo.
I cant emphasis the very lucky part.
 I still have the Trademe and couple other sites email notifications when one is listed.
Nothing since.
So time frame...
 There is an old post here when I advertised the 115 hp.. that was a good 6 months after getting the 150 hp  so look up the post  date, when that was, then .. maybe 2 /3 yrs looking before that..

Based on that, I go the rebuild transom height to 25" and go the good 2nd hand / new choice that suites you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 4:06pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fair enough. If anyone knows of a good boat builder in Wellington who might do that kind of thing I'd appreciate the tip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 7:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I suggest visit a couple reputable marine service/ workshops managers  who they use. Have a bit of a chat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 4:07pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've got the 1.95% financing from Yamaha so might go the easy option on a new motor :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:37pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve put the contact details of a very experienced boat builder on your other post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 12:21pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that Kandrew.

I went to Redhot Marine in Wellington this morning and talked about the engine size. They had someone look at the boat and said that for my purposes the 130HP should be okay. Might go the expensive but easier route :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 4:58pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Regarding raising the transom, it's not going to be a quick job, so picking figures out of thin air let's say it costs $2,000.

That's $12,000 total. A new 4 stroke 130HP Yamaha is $22,000, so $10,000 more.

The difference in price is certainly not peanuts, but it results in a brand new engine (12 years younger), with a 4year warranty, and less hassle than arranging the raised transom and then getting a replacement engine.

If I sell in 5 years time I'll be selling an old hull, but hopefully still in good condition, with a 5 year old engine and 7 year old trailer. Might get a reasonable price?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 7:21pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like you’ve done your homework. Nice motors 130 Yamaha, good luck and catch plenty of fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:29pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks mate. Not sure if it really makes sense or I'm just justifying myself... but anyhow, it's good to hear other thoughts on the subject.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 10:29am
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ultimately I think it comes down to what you can afford at the time and what price you put on enjoyment. I think if we all did the numbers then I wouldn’t make sense to own a boat. There is a lot of peace of mind in owning a new motor. Sounds like the boat is in good condition and the trailer is good. I say go for it and don’t worry about resale value. Just enjoy it.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:57pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yep, kind of my thinking too DIY.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 9:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like the boat is in good condition and the trailer is good. I say go for it and don’t worry about resale value. Just enjoy it.

Yes.
The thing with the commander hull,  well powered it is a top of the line salt water hull and very stable at anchor
Wife and I spent many over nighters around the gulf islands.
The glass hull gives comfortable ride . espec when nicely powered
Fishers 3 guys well would be nice little more deck space compared to modern boats..
Damn easy for solo launch and retrieve, even in cross winds and current.. even for a semi disable 70yr old.
Not too heavy to tow distances.
Glass easy cheap maintenance/ repairs.. no welders needed...just 4" grinder/sander and a old paint brush.
 Handles west coast bars on sensible no hero days, a swell fine for 5.5m hull.
So much so, for while been looking to replace with soming bit longer and more deck space at the right price.. the more been looking thinking about it and still hitting the bar/ coast very regularly, Im now thinking ..
 Down side:
 Do I really need to as the commander is doing everything I want except  trolling economically (as against longer hull) in broad bill season, and a little more comfortable heading out into the SW west coast swell more comfortable for the 30 min trip... And taking 3 + grandchildren and 2 adults, fish is bit cramped, but works. would like to take 4 of the 6 at a time... and they will be grown up, growing up to their own lives very quick...

Which I think is also along your long term thinking.
 And my current thought has been greatly influenced by you and this thread.
Im sticking to our commander as well, unless win lotto.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 10:14am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Sounds like the boat is in good condition and the trailer is good. I say
go for it and don’t worry about resale value. Just enjoy it.

Yes.
The thing with the commander hull,  well powered it is a top of the line salt water hull and very stable at anchor
Wife and I spent many over nighters around the gulf islands.
The glass hull gives comfortable ride . espec when nicely powered
Fishers 3 guys well would be nice little more deck space compared to modern boats..
Damn easy for solo launch and retrieve, even in cross winds and current.. even for a semi disable 70yr old.
Not too heavy to tow distances.
Glass easy cheap maintenance/ repairs.. no welders needed...just 4" grinder/sander and a old paint brush.
 Handles west coast bars on sensible no hero days, a swell fine for 5.5m hull.
So much so, for while been looking to replace with soming bit longer and more deck space at the right price.. the more been looking thinking about it and still hitting the bar/ coast very regularly, Im now thinking ..
 Down side:
 Do I really need to as the commander is doing everything I want except  trolling economically (as against longer hull) in broad bill season, and a little more comfortable heading out into the SW west coast swell more comfortable for the 30 min trip... And taking 3 + grandchildren and 2 adults, fish is bit cramped, but works. would like to take 4 of the 6 at a time... and they will be grown up, growing up to their own lives very quick...

Which I think is also along your long term thinking.
 And my current thought has been greatly influenced by you and this thread.
Im sticking to our commander as well, unless win lotto.

I didn’t know you chased game fish steps, how well do you do. Boated any this season. Yes a 4S is much better for dragging plastic around. Did you consider this when you brought the 150hp 2S.

The reason I’m interested is When I used to fish for broadbill many years ago, we never trolled for them. Drifting with big whole squid baits right down on the bottom was the way to go.

Do I really need to as the commander is doing everything I want except trolling economically (as against longer hull) in broad bill season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 3:57pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I didn’t know you chased game fish steps, how well do you do.

No have never done it or got any gear to do so, and know very little how to Up until only few yrs back,  retired a cashed up in Auckland and moved to the west coast havnt been close to these areas, or ever considered it.
 My total experience is:
1/ listening to locals about their days out there over beers
2/My son and when he goes out with his m8s.
3/ Seen a couple around the 30/45 m mark having a swim around, thru out couple tuna lures on a basic king fish rod/tld25. Main conservation wasat the time.. "what the hell do we do if we do hook one, and if do catch , what do we do then..."
4/ Where pulling anchor on 30m mark as time to get back inside the bar (tides etc) and one jumped about 50m out off the stern.
5/ help cave one up and smoked a few slabs.

So all that sounds a lot but in reality little more than zulch.

The reason I’m interested is When I used to fish for broadbill many years ago, we never trolled for them. Drifting with big whole squid baits right down on the bottom was the way to go.

I rem someone say that to me once before, think was you KA, and can run a couple snapper droppers at the same time??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:15pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I didn’t know you chased game fish steps, how well do you do.

No have never done it or got any gear to do so, and know very little how to Up until only few yrs back,  retired a cashed up in Auckland and moved to the west coast havnt been close to these areas, or ever considered it.
 My total experience is:
1/ listening to locals about their days out there over beers
2/My son and when he goes out with his m8s.
3/ Seen a couple around the 30/45 m mark having a swim around, thru out couple tuna lures on a basic king fish rod/tld25. Main conservation wasat the time.. "what the hell do we do if we do hook one, and if do catch , what do we do then..."
4/ Where pulling anchor on 30m mark as time to get back inside the bar (tides etc) and one jumped about 50m out off the stern.
5/ help cave one up and smoked a few slabs.

So all that sounds a lot but in reality little more than zulch.

The reason I’m interested is When I used to fish for broadbill many
years ago, we never trolled for them. Drifting with big whole squid
baits right down on the bottom was the way to go.

I rem someone say that to me once before, think was you KA, and can run a couple snapper droppers at the same time??

Nope not me never discussed this with you. I’ve actually never spoken to you steps, but I was interested in the reference to trolling for broadbill in your post above.

Your a lucky man to have seen a broadbill on the surface, they are mainly caught around the 500 metre plus mark, bit deep for snapper as well. May have been a marlin you spotted but again not common at the 30 to 40 metres either, beautiful fish in the water aren’t they.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A few get caught out west these days Kerry. Remember when the only time to catch them was at night on a full moon?Times have changed eh, we always need an open mind when it comes to fishing!  Personally I have no desire whatsoever to even attempt to catch one of those brutes. I'd like to give marlin another shot though.  I have problems justifying investing my weekends into chasing them when the harbour is so full off trevally, snapper and gurnard Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:41pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Anyway, off topic again. Sort yourself out Smudge!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:48pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

A few get caught out west these days Kerry. Remember when the only time to catch them was at night on a full moon?Times have changed eh, we always need an open mind when it comes to fishing!  Personally I have no desire whatsoever to even attempt to catch one of those brutes. I'd like to give marlin another shot though.  I have problems justifying investing my weekends into chasing them when the harbour is so full off trevally, snapper and gurnard Big smile
we used to troll for marlin out from Raglan in 14 foot Ramcos but that was when I was young dumb and bulletproof. Most fish my mates caught then were only around 140kg, I remember someone chucked in the raglan dump, what a waste.

10 miles off the raglan coast in a 14 foot tinny what were we thinking of.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 6:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

True story here. A CSFC club member landed 2 marlin from a triple hook up off the Waikato bar in a tiller steer 'river boat' an FC 430 (I think). He was fishing solo. He has crossed that bar literally hundreds of times though and knows his stuff obviously.

Page  <123>