Knives

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 9:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep in mind bone handled knives get really slippery, very quickly.

Yeah.. ok for the table and carving the sunday roast.. get into breaking down a animal or fish, or cutting up a shoulder to mice or casserole 
 I think you may find couple of those knives maybe the old ivory???
 The carving forks caught my eye.. wondering if they still has the flip up bit on the back...

Think you may also find that other than maybe a couple, none of those knife steel alloys are designed to hold lasting working edges..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 6:58pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

... The carving forks caught my eye.. wondering if they still has the flip up bit on the back...

They sure do.
I checked them out today.  There are a few knives that could be of interest although I acknowledge my proposed use is not what the manufacturer would have envisaged.  Longish blade carving knives could become skinning knives.  Steel quality ....... no idea?  The cleaver is very solid, made in Germany, Ox Head I think was the brand.  Online auction ends this Sunday.

kimber7wsm - I already have more knives than I need, some quality, some cheapies and others hand made by my grandfather who worked for the NZ Railways making replacement parts for their locos.  I think it would be fair to say I'm a bit of a collector of things of interest which just happens to include fishing gear and accessories.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 5:33am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Absolutely fair enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 9:17am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

An old bone ivory flip on the back,as display, anyone who is in the 'know' will appreciate it. The come out to cave for a special occasion..
Find on with the flip up still there has been very rare for long time now.

Side note on them thu.. never understood  why they where around back in the day... Back then most ppl had more than basic knife skills so why carve back towards ones self. These days makes sense most ppl no longer have these basic skills ????

Longish blade carving knives could become skinning knives.  Steel quality ....... no idea?

yeah a big wide snapper, whatever fillet and the filleting knife a little short, pain in the butt...
Now if just using for skinning, as I have said before , the right blade steel for the right job, drop a 30/33 deg edge preferably convex, and it will go thru skinning a bin of good west coast snaps nps. But use it for much more and will not be long before the steel comes out and maybe the stone later.

The cleaver is very solid, made in Germany, Ox Head I think was the brand.

I love a good cleaver, got couple up on my display board, a carbon steel in the kitchen...both around the 35 deg concave edge and can do anything from carve to split a carcass spine.
Watch asians use cleavers, way under rated in western society. I grew up close to a Chinese family, always fascinated and envied their cleaver skills... and try as much as I did/ do never got the hang of it.
Page  <1 234