Knives

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 3:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I look forward to the day when I have a fish big enough to justify some of my knives. Big smile

A lot of personal preference when it comes to knives, mine aren't anything flash but I'm a little spoilt for choice. They are nice to have
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 4:15pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HaHa " Smudge" read that your son is a butcher.My Nephew is one as well and all I can say is.Bring your own knife as his never get the attention they requireLOL
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 4:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

HaHa " Smudge" read that your son is a butcher.My Nephew is one as well and all I can say is.Bring your own knife as his never get the attention they requireLOL

Scotty (my son, not Skoti my mate) can sharpen them alright. Certainly better than me but I am very much DIY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 5:31pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Scotty (my son, not Skoti my mate) can sharpen them alright. Certainly better than me but I am very much DIY
Should of Added his butchery Knives are good,but bait knives Hmm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:23pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the input guys. I have ordered a swibo but in the meantime have learnt that I already had a pretty good knife I just needed to sort out the sharpening skills😳. Bought a diamond steel thingy and has made all the difference. Cheers.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:33pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Absolutely love knives. Have a Buck Knife collection proudly displayed on wall of our kitchen.... which her indoors isn't exactly doing backflips about.... but its only a few compared to what I have.
Have given up buying nice knives for spear fishing. They are simply too easy to lose. The cheap little $7.00 numbers are ok and good enough to iki a fish and gut it while in the water... but they are cheap for a reason. Have snapped 3 so far....The last one broke off under a bloody Paua of all things.
Im not superstitious but I always scuba dive with a small titainium  knife clipped up on my shoulder....iv had it for decades. Its like a good luck charm. I check that that's there before I check my air. 
.....Like I said. Not superstitious at all.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Have snapped 3 so far....The last one broke off under a bloody Paua of all things.
Im not superstitious but I always scuba dive with a small titainium  knife clipped up on my shoulder....iv had it for decades. Its like a good luck charm. I check that that's there before I check my air. 
So last time I dived this summer I lost my knife I have on my leg. Had it for so long. Never had to use it, but a good strong sharp knife. Clipped the duckboard as I climbed out, split the plastic sheath and wobbled down to the bottom.  it was a bad day, but no way to get it back. Feel like I am missing a friend.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Of course you aren't superstitious! It's a knife!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:09am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The most important part to sharpening, is maintaining consistency of angle. Do that and you go along way to having a sharp edge.

Hard steels require fine grit, soft steels coarser grit finishing with a finer grit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 11:16am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a black and white subject at all.  I think first thing is to find knives that are the shape and flexibility the suits you and your filleting and then think about your sharpening method and how good you are at it.
If you are learning or using any of the pull through systems you may as well buy a softer and a cheaper knife.
(also some of the softer (surgical) steels more rust resistant than others)
A fair amount of people I sharpen for really appreciate sharp knives and get fussier and fussier about their knives so gradually get good with steels (and develop muscle memory) or buy stones or other things. At this point they look after knives better as well and get more value out of quality and expensive knives. 

And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 7:29pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Can vouch for the fact that Derek REALLY knows what he is talking about when it comes to knife sharpening !

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 10:04pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a hankering for nostalgia.  Has anyone reshaped and sharpened one of the old fashioned bone handled table knives as a fillet knife?  Most that I've seen are SS and were manufactured in Sheffield England.  The blades generally have a bit of flex which I like but have no idea whether they would keep an edge as a filleting style cutting knife.  Hardness of the steel could be an issue?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 8:30am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Best you save those as scallop knives
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So lonng post as adding the hows and the whys.
 You can slowly reshape on a stone by hand with take lot work..

Re shaping of a knife quicker, if want it to maintain and edge, stainless or other wise requires several steps.
The moment you put a grinder or sanding disk on you create heat on the edge. This heat takes out any annealing.. hardness of the steel edge.
Then once the shaped has been established and a reasonable edge, the blade gets heated till red hot and checked with a magnet till it is no longer magnetic is a good indicator. Then dunked quickly in a container of oil to quench till back to room temp.
This now becomes very hard and brittle, hard to put a edge on and if used as a lever will snap very easy.
 The next step is to put in an over for few hrs at anything from around 200 to 400 deg.. depending on the alloy and how flexable and harden you want the edge...
Generally the less flexible the longer a hard working edge will be maintained.

These processes are done before the handles are attached...for obvious reasons.

Keep in mind professional butchers, fish mongers use stiffer boning / filleting knives as they keep the edge better and longer.

Hope this helps your understanding as to what you are intending to do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 11:02am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by slayliner slayliner wrote:

Best you save those as scallop knives

Hmmmm ... might be  few years before any scallop knife sees any action these days due to Rahuis.
Will be interesting to see in years to come if they ever get lifted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 11:09am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

I have a hankering for nostalgia.  Has anyone reshaped and sharpened one of the old fashioned bone handled table knives as a fillet knife?  Most that I've seen are SS and were manufactured in Sheffield England.  The blades generally have a bit of flex which I like but have no idea whether they would keep an edge as a filleting style cutting knife.  Hardness of the steel could be an issue?
Steel knives(carbon) hold their edge better. Young fella recently brought a set of Japanese Steel knives(antiques)And took them to a guy in Glen Innes where he professionally sharpened them,uses them for his sushi or thinly slicing meats. Do not wash,just wipe clean,definatly no dish washer as edge will go.Oil with vege oil occasionally. Over 100yrs old and good as the day made. Do not try to sharpen bring them  ,in 6 months and I will give them another run.
He has the knife(carving set)from the old set  shefield set of mine must go pick it up.The box thats lined with forks/spoons etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 2:57pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm after an opinion - Recently bought myself a bit of a meatier blade for those bigger fish, but the knife has a standard factory edge. Was wondering if anyone uses a convex edge for filleting? Happy to sand down if worth the effort
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:03pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My query about sharpening / reshaping old knives was triggered by the pic below.  This collection will be auctioned in about a week's time.  There are some interesting shaped knives amongst them and some would not require reshaping.  I'll check them out next week I think.  Estimated auction selling price is given as $100 but I'm picking that could well be low.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:05pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

My query about sharpening / reshaping old knives was triggered by the pic below.  This collection will be auctioned in about a week's time.  There are some interesting shaped knives amongst them and some would not require reshaping.  I'll check them out next week I think.  Estimated auction selling price is given as $100 but I'm picking that could well be low.

not sure on Aussie prices but nz be $200 start
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 5:56am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not wanting to sound rude, but that $100 or more could easily buy one or two knives that are already exactly what you want. With good rubber handles, that fit your hand well.

However, if you want a project that soaks up some hours, go for it.

Keep in mind bone handled knives get really slippery, very quickly. That sort of thing sticks in you mind when you've slipped just the once and becomes a very important consideration. Ask me how I know. Ouch.
Page  <1234>