Knives

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:56pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah that was a good informative link. Cheers
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 9:56pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Edit

Tonto2 - I may have confused things.
Has the knife in the pic below been rebranded as a Victory GA151/22? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 9:56pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And here I was thinking you only had a drinking problem smudge. Clearly I was wrong.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:08am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Personally, I never had much luck with the victory knives. Don't like them at all.

Knives are a bit like Softbait rods, what one person likes another hates.

I used to use a Victorinox Curved boning knife as I like a stiffer blade. It was a bit short on the bigger snapper.

I did get a Duel filleting knife (another NZ brand) through a deal at Marine-deals. I really like it for a flexible filleting knife. Holds an edge really well, easy to sharpen. The handle is really good, even when greasy. I find it much better than the victory range. It is the DK4B. I really like the look of the DK9, so might get one of those.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 10:53am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with post above I don’t spend a lot and I only have one of the burnsco electric sharpener which works fine for me.

I won one of these knives and have used it for a few years, suits me fine.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/filleting-knives/rapala-soft-grip-9-fillet-knife-and-sheath
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 11:33am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah it's funny eh, That's a knife I never liked. What suits some people is different for the next guy.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 1:21pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

... Knives are a bit like Softbait rods, what one person likes another hates ...

That sums it up rather nicely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 8:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Knives , choose the right hardness for the job and then sharpen at the correct angle for that job then correct knife skills.
 Right hardness is usually taken care of by the knife manufactures .. they assume you will be using the corect knife for the correct purpose
 A boning knife doesnt go across a bone, and around a 22 deg
A fish filleting knife, well the drop point area on mine is 22, and the area that goes thru pin bones is around 35 deg .
 A cutthroat razor around 18 deg.
A machete or heavy working knife 35 deg
 Carving knife 22deg, just dont run it across a bone.
The more square the edge the more robust, the finer the edge the faster it looses/breaks the straight burr.
 Stones must be kept milled flat...
 I personally prefer a convex edge rather that a flat edge from a stone.

We have  60s and early 70s carbon steel green rivers, stainless green rivers, victory (all made by Goddard's) Victorex boning knives and skinning knives. Sunday classic sheath knives, a Couple home made from high end $800 knives, numerous 1940s/ 60s gold engraved ivory handle cut throats and leather strops, machetes for garden and filleting big fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 5:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

After reading my plight about losing one of my good knives a (Swibo/Wenger) KevinS realised that was the knife that mysteriously appeared on his boat and he returned it. Thanks Kevin!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 10:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear the Swibo has found its way home Smudge.  Thumbs Up Kevin

What about knife steels / honers.  There are numerous types on the market these days made of different materials including steel, ceramic, diamond etc.  Are some better than others and / or are some suited to SS knives rather than CS?  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 12:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm not qualified to answer that one Kevin, I use a diamond type sharpener on the boat or for a quick and nasty sharpen on my other knives otherwise I use an oil stone and a smooth steel. I can get my knives pretty sharp but my son does a better job but then he is a butcher. He uses a water stone and a steel. He only works with SS knives
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 4:58pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

What about knife steels / honers.  There are numerous types on the market these days made of different materials including steel, ceramic, diamond etc.  Are some better than others and / or are some suited to SS knives rather than CS?  

Probably personal choice, but I have a set of diamond hones in different grades that I like.  I use them quite a lot in the workshop too as diamond will put an edge back on most cutting tools, including carbide.  I have found that using a diamond hone to put an edge back on a cutting tool can be better than regrinding an edge as you remove much less material.

My old dad was always keen on having a sharp edge on all his knives, but he was also fond of the grinder and oilstone.  When my brother cleared out his workshop after he died almost every knife he owned was a fraction of it's original size.  There were lots of pocket knives that looked great, but when you opened them up the blade was almost non-existent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 5:16pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Like you smudge I've collected a few knives over the years.  You do go back to the old favourites one of mine being a homemade carbon steel knife I inherited from my father.  I expect it was made by my grandfather.
What is the knife with the orange handle?  My first thoughts were that it was a Swibo but the blade shape doesn't look right.  Fish skinning knife?

One thing to note re the Svords is that they're a 'convex' blade, which requires a different angle to sharpen. If you're like me, that's damn confusing after using a range of standard edged knives.
No matter how often Steps has tried to explain the convex sharpening method, I can't get my head around it - just seem to make the knife more blunt.
If you have good hand sharpening skills, you may like a Svord. The plastic handled ones that the likes of H&F have are not that expensive, it's the wooden handled ones that are more pricey.

I use a Spyderco at the moment to sharpen my standard edged knives, and that goes okay. Though there was a thread a while ago which had a link to a US online review of sharpening systems that wasn't flattering about the Spyderco, versus some others. I think it's fine for a recreational fisho who fillets a few fish at a time. I was on the verge of buying another system, but couldn't justify the spend at the time.

I have some Victory high carbon and also stainless, a US-made Knives of Alaska 'Coho' stainless filleter which is really good, and a US-made Dexter Russell Green River which is high carbon steel (different maker than Steps' Green River, obviously). For choppers, i use some of my grandfather's old carbon steel knives.

I agree with the posts above that individual preferences vary wildly. It seems to depend on how you fillet (ie up and over the ribs versus through the ribs) and the type of fish you most often fillet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 7:16pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also brought a Knives of Alaska filleting knife for an Xmas present for my son.
Very  very nice... just the right amount of blade curve and flex for dealing to pannie size snapper.
My go-to for years has been a Duel.
But the squared off, grippy handle ,great blade and pin sharp point on the Alaska is far more comfortable if your hands get slippery.
I find myself using it more and more.
Son can go buy his own bloody knife.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 8:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great feedback guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 9:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

Personally, I never had much luck with the victory knives. Don't like them at all.

Knives are a bit like Softbait rods, what one person likes another hates.

I used to use a Victorinox Curved boning knife as I like a stiffer blade. It was a bit short on the bigger snapper.

I did get a Duel filleting knife (another NZ brand) through a deal at Marine-deals. I really like it for a flexible filleting knife. Holds an edge really well, easy to sharpen. The handle is really good, even when greasy. I find it much better than the victory range. It is the DK4B. I really like the look of the DK9, so might get one of those.

Very interesting, re the Duel. The DK9 looks similar to the Swiss-made Swibo curved filleter which is the same price at Top-gear. Do you know are they still made in NZ (they appear to be Whangarei-based) or shifted manufacturing of NZ-designed knives overseas?

is the difference between the B or the plain numbers the handle - acrylic v rubber - ie no difference in the blade materials?

I do find the Marine Deals 'why pay..' stuff a bit amusing. I can't see any shops with the B models at the top price they list. But to be fair, M Deals' sale price is still much lower than other retailers' full price.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:43am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good question TTK.

We brought a duel kitchen knife years ago for the Mother in law, and it was custom made. I assumed that they were all still NZ made. After your question I tried googling duel knives and it took me to a different website in Whangarei. I don't know what the story is.

It appears that the B denotes acrylic handle. I made a mistake with the model I gave when I looked it up on M-D the picture was the rubber handle version. It looks more like I've got the DK1. The rubber handle is really really good when your hands get greasy, offers huge amounts of grip, and fits my hand very well.

The DK9 turned up, but I haven't had a chance to use it. It's much stiffer than the DK1, which I like on bigger fish.

As mentioned I do like the blade for very good edge keeping capabilities, yet good to sharpen.

I agree about M-D, I don't really bother with them now. I find Smartmarine good. M-D do tend to keep a larger range of stock though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 8:45am
Titanium
Titanium

Good question TTK.

We brought a duel kitchen knife years ago for the Mother in law, and it was custom made. I assumed that they were all still NZ made. After your question I tried googling duel knives and it took me to a different website in Whangarei. I don't know what the story is.

Yes, the links go to Saltwater Connection, which is a great fishing/diving shop in Whangarei. Doesn't mean the Duels are not made in a factory somewhere in NZ, but it made me curious...
Victory, for example, has a factory in Mt Wellington and you can (or could last time I went there) buy with cash at the shop out the front of it.

While I have some overseas-made knives, I like to support local manufacturers if choosing between very similar products - given these economic times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As smudge knows , I have been around knives, and quite a collection, from old gold inlaid cut throats to machetes for 60 odd yrs.
Couple things about 'best knife ' stuff
 Regardless of brand / steel etc the by far the biggest fault of a knife is the users knife skills.. be it fishing boning , or caving the sunday roast. Just yesterday, filleting bin fish, a young guy why his " grappy edge victory" goes blunt, and why my victory went thru 15 big snaps and still had its edge.
2nd is how sharpened... like a chain saw, cut hard purirri or manuka a steep 30/35 deg , pine 25 deg. use a 25 on the hard wood and the edge breaks off real fast. The drop point end where the slicing flesh is 22/25 deg never run it across a bone or hard surface.. eg cut a pizza on a plate. The main blade above the hilt, where crash thru a few pin bones etc.. 33/35 deg
 And never wipe the chopping board sideways to clear a few scales whatever.
 And care.. When finished, re hone, and I give a light spray of canola oil from a aerosol. The slightest but invisible rust on the fine edge kills it before even using the blade.

I prefer convex edge for long lasting and hard work. Has a far greater robustness and fine cutting burr than a flat worked edge.

Next is the comfort to suit ones hand shape and size. A comfortable grip improves good  knife skills.

In the kitchen is a drop point late 60s green river and late 60s green river caving knife. A high carbon stainless green river chef knife and similar  victory. And a victory boning knife.

In the shed (leaving out the display german NCO dress bayonets, old sheath knives, german ivory handle gold inlaid cut throats etc.
 The working knives are 12 " machete (big fish) 25" (?) gardening. Got to for fish victory high carbon stainless, larger green river cabbage. Victorex boning , a flex green river filleting "( mainly used as a guest knife, I dont like the flex.)

And the boat, pams $5 stainless , a burnsco and some other stray  for bait knives.. These are still very sharp at the end of a day. And a longer Wiltshire (2nd hand shop) very sharp stainless caving knife.  They do the job as good as any expensive and or fancy knife with out exposing my good knives to crap marine environment.

Oh and sundry other knives like a silver bladed (yes soft silver alloy) pen knife used for when tobacco pipes where in fashion 100 or so yrs ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 12:30pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I won't show/share any of my knives with you guys.
I struggle to get anything sharp for long. I use whatever is sharp enough to fillet the fish. When that one is done I round them all up and sharpen enough til I have some sharp enough for fish - til next time.
Now off to do some gurnard - with my last knife that seems to work.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <1234>