Knives

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knives
    Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 3:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a few, nothing super flash but they work well. What you're used to are what seem to work best. Here's a selection of some favourites that I sharpened today. Some hunting knives, some utility knives and of course some fishing/filleting knives. You can never have too many. Anyway, these are my favourites but I have many more.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 3:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Two are hand made, one by myself and one from my mate. Can you guess which ones?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 3:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There are only four with wooden handles (scales) Smudge!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 3:51pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The clever and the one by the stone??

Feel as though I missing out.Only have 3x 2 bait knives and 1 filleting kept in the garage so her indoors doesnt use it.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Like fishing rods, you can never have enough. I would have two or three times as many, those are just the ones I use. They aren't all fishing knives though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:45pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I have repeatedly have watched a video of guy seemingly effortlessly filleting snapper of varying size using a brand of locally
manufactured knives, cutting thru scales,belly & back pin bones honing them only occasionally ... they are not expensive so decided I would buy a range of about four of them along with a diamond honing stick.

Maybe my technique is lacking something but none of them perform
for me like those in the video & slicing thru the bones & scales remains an effort as does removing a tidy fillet after doing so, plus they seem to require regular honing with the diamond sharpener.

Am hoping on this occasion will prove  to be the exception to the common saying " Cannot teach an old dog new tricks" 

Post edit :- Not suggesting there is anything wrong with the brand ...
can't be as smudge appears to have three in his collection, so I must be using mine badly !
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There is no need to slice through bones. I do chomp through the pin bones but that's not so bad and I do fillet gurnard with one cut. Doing the same with snapper - especially big ones isn't such a good thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:16pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Two are hand made, one by myself and one from my mate. Can you guess which ones?
4th from the left and 3rd from the right ?

You should put up a pic of all the knives Arron has lost off the boat LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

The screen isn't wide enough for that Skoti
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

The screen isn't wide enough for that Skoti

And yes, 4th from the left (Neil) and 3rd from the right is my own creation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 10:06pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Like you smudge I've collected a few knives over the years.  You do go back to the old favourites one of mine being a homemade carbon steel knife I inherited from my father.  I expect it was made by my grandfather.
What is the knife with the orange handle?  My first thoughts were that it was a Swibo but the blade shape doesn't look right.  Fish skinning knife?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 10:33am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Like you smudge I've collected a few knives over the years.  You do go back to the old favourites one of mine being a homemade carbon steel knife I inherited from my father.  I expect it was made by my grandfather.
What is the knife with the orange handle?  My first thoughts were that it was a Swibo but the blade shape doesn't look right.  Fish skinning knife?

It's a Svord Kiwi Machete. It's like a 3/4 size machete. I did have a Swibo but I left it on someone's boat I think. Or at someone's place. Or it could still be hiding somewhere. Good knives
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 1:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

I see Svord knives are made in NZ.  Are they any good?  I don't recall seeing them in my neck of the woods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 4:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I see Svord knives are made in NZ.  Are they any good?  I don't recall seeing them in my neck of the woods.

Yes, they are made in NZ & not only that they are made in Waiuku which is where I am. I have never been to the factory & I don't even know where they are Big smile but yeah somewhere local to me. They are predominately hand crafted (on a mass produced type scale) carbon steel knife and are pretty good to be fair. Of course you pay a premium or a knife like that and a lot of people grizzle because they rust. Wacko

That is the nature of carbon steel but I think some salespeople possibly miss that snippet out.

As a practical knife IMO SS is hard to beat. You just wouldn't be allowed to use a carbon steel knife as a professional butcher/filleter these days due tio the rust issues, but they are still cool. A good quality stainless will keep an edge. Carbon steel knives need way more attention than stainless knives and really they are no better. They are just cool because you have to look after them Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 5:12pm
Platinum
Platinum

Waiuku ........... it's been a long time since I was in your neighourhood.  In fact it was in 1970.  I was part of an educational tour / visit of the steel mills.  I clearly recall the words of the guide as we were wandering through the plant.  He said 'if the alarms go off don't bother running, the explosion will wipe this place off the face of the earth'.  That was about the full extent of the safety talk.  How times have changed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 5:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Waiuku ........... it's been a long time since I was in your neighourhood.  In fact it was in 1970.  I was part of an educational tour / visit of the steel mills.  I clearly recall the words of the guide as we were wandering through the plant.  He said 'if the alarms go off don't bother running, the explosion will wipe this place off the face of the earth'.  That was about the full extent of the safety talk.  How times have changed.

Hehe I went there as a school kid about that time, now I work there. It hasn't exploded yet Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 6:40pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As I am **** with knives, what would be a good ss filleting knife and where would I buy 1 from? Cheers
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

The Victory Diogenes 22cm has a good reputation.  Others will have their favourites.  Here is a link for you.

There is also a slim blade model.

Some more info here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:07pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Victory Diogenes 22cm has a good reputation.  Others will have their favourites.  Here is a link for you.

There is also a slim blade model.
Have the slim blade model,does the job considering I am not a great filleter,neighbours love my heads and frames with the amount of flesh still attached
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:49pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They seem pretty reasonable price wise, is it worth paying more for a filleting knife, better brand quality?
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Page  123 4>