BaCon

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BaCon
    Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 10:08am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Curing for 12 days, the weather, rain & wind so decided to let curing the belly for extra few days.
After washing the belly from cure, dried and air refrigerated overnight.
Cooked at 140Cel/285F. Maple & hickory wood used.
Cure: Himalayan Salt, brown sugar, fresh thyme, maple sirup and my secret ingredient... Kecap Manis :)
Just before smoking have decided to sprinkle little on top my favourite rub, Cimarron Docs, its smoky, spicy & sweet and that was a good call.

And now time for the pictures...LOL

After 12 days curing and turning every day.
The small piece piece weighted 1.250grams and after curing & smoking the weight was 880grams. Time to cure some more,lol 

After washing the belly refrigerated overnight in open box. Here in the past I've made big mistake by only rinsing the belly, the outcome; the bacon was always too salty. 

Second-guessing my wireless probes, lol  
The plan was to pull it at 62-64Cel, lol

They say; resist temptation, don't cut & eat freshly cooked bacon, ROFL 

This morning finally going to have my own thick sliced home made bacon for breakfast Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 1:26pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now hungry.thanks RC. Oh well might give chicken a go saturday .Tandori style
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 1:53pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice  ,nothing better than thick self cured bacon with eggs and home made worchester sauce ! Have just done two small front shoulders off a nice little wild caught pig in rum and que rib rocker rub and oakridge bbq  habanero death dustwhich is warmish to say the least ... also a couple off mutton shoulder chops of which i was given about 20 off for my dogs ! They haven't had any yet.. I rubbed them with olive oil and tuscan seasoning and have guava and fejoa on also . will do these on Sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:08pm
Gold
Gold

PCJ, you know i like tandoori chicken, lol
If i could assist with my favourite marinade for tandoori... just ask, will give you the short or long version :)))
LBP, i'm very pleased that you managed with no problems overcome the posting picture issue... and what a picture it is mate. Lov what you doing, this rub is great for pork imo, wild boar thats a next level, great;)
And all the goodies on the chops. Please don't forget to post lots of pic when the cooking is done Thumbs Up   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:58pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone wrapped potatos/kumara/pumpkin wrapped in tinfoil and placed on rack or coals??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:22pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Has anyone wrapped potatos/kumara/pumpkin wrapped in tinfoil and placed on rack or coals??

Yes, in coals. Also whole or half butternut works very well. And onion with skin on directly into coals or wrapped in foil. If left in skins, it can be simply squeezed out when cooked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:24pm
Gold
Gold

Are you thinking with some butter, salt & some herbs ?
Have done on open fire in camp, should work well in barrel imo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:29pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could be interesting cooking,have special mix for veges I want to try.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 7:12pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Butternut pumpkin, cut the top off and pull the pips out, then fill with a mixture of garlic onions and cream. Put the top back on and cook in your smoker.

Yum 🤤
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 7:52am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey mate,

Have done this plenty of times.
Works a treat.

If you are going to be doing a pumpkin, might I suggest something.
Don't peel the pumpkin.

Cut an opening at the top just big enough for someone with a small hand to dig the pips out with. The wife generally works well in this occasion.

Don't mangle that piece you cut out as you want this to slot back in after pips are out so that it basically steams from the inside.

Fill the inside of the pumpkin with creamed sweetcorn and a 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese or Mozzarella (or whatever cheese takes your fancy - you don't want an oily cheese though). Add some diced bacon bits into it as well with a good dash of Paprika or if you fancy some cayenne.

Wrap and secure well in tinfoil - remember this thing gets soft when it cooks and you don't want the finished product falling apart in the coals.
Alternately do in an oven or crockpot - but you miss out on that smoky vibe.

It's a show stopper - the comments about taste and presentation are always amusing.

Have at it - enjoy Thumbs Up

EDIT - didn't read to bottom of the posts and see this has been suggested already. Apologies for doubling up Embarrassed
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 9:02am
Gold
Gold

I like the recipe Jaapie. One question, wrapping the pumpkin well in tinfoil from the beginning... how much smoke flavour do you get? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 9:21am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Hey mate,

Have done this plenty of times.
Works a treat.

If you are going to be doing a pumpkin, might I suggest something.
Don't peel the pumpkin.

Cut an opening at the top just big enough for someone with a small hand to dig the pips out with. The wife generally works well in this occasion.

Don't mangle that piece you cut out as you want this to slot back in after pips are out so that it basically steams from the inside.

Fill the inside of the pumpkin with creamed sweetcorn and a 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese or Mozzarella (or whatever cheese takes your fancy - you don't want an oily cheese though). Add some diced bacon bits into it as well with a good dash of Paprika or if you fancy some cayenne.

Wrap and secure well in tinfoil - remember this thing gets soft when it cooks and you don't want the finished product falling apart in the coals.
Alternately do in an oven or crockpot - but you miss out on that smoky vibe.

It's a show stopper - the comments about taste and presentation are always amusing.

Have at it - enjoy Thumbs Up

EDIT - didn't read to bottom of the posts and see this has been suggested already. Apologies for doubling up Embarrassed

No worries mate, stuffed pumpkins are very tasty and your recipe looks good as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 10:05am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how long should I cook it for?? last hr of cooking?? have brought the cream ,squash,garlic/onionand have some well cured brie or is it camembert in the fridge,probly past use by date but who will noticeBig smile

Have chicken marinating overnight and smell good now.Guessing 2 1/2 hrs as barrel temp gets to about 75c according to thermometre supplied
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 10:16am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how long should I cook it for?? last hr of cooking?? have brought the cream ,squash,garlic/onionand have some well cured brie or is it camembert in the fridge,probly past use by date but who will noticeBig smile

Have chicken marinating overnight and smell good now.Guessing 2 1/2 hrs as barrel temp gets to about 75c according to thermometre supplied
I normally cook it in the oven for about an hour so work on the temp your smoking at.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 10:24am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

I normally cook it in the oven for about an hour so work on the temp your smoking at.
Thanks will try placing in foil for 1hr,might stick on rack rather than coals, Slowly turning Fnet in to Grandmas cooking showSmile was going out but forecast yesterday didnt inspire me.+ late home
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 8:14am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by <i>RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

I like the recipe Jaapie. One question, wrapping the pumpkin well in tinfoil from the beginning... how much smoke flavour do you get?

Good question - I usually wrap the pumpkin 4/5 way up the sides with the lid part uncovered. There isn't a lot of smoky flavour from the actual smoking - more from the bacon to be honest, but it does have a funky colour ring around it where smoke hasn't been able to penetrate the foil.
Another hack is ALWAYS wrapping shining side of foil inside.
Apparently this reflects heat inwards??
Not sure how they ever scientifically came up with this but it certainly does work in my humble opinion and cuts cooking time down a bit.

You want at least double wrap (heavy duty foil) at the bottom to hold the pumpkin together.
Remember this gets soft when it's cooked. Depending on size and obviously temperature, it takes about 1.5 - 2 hours in a relatively hot fire.

Starting in oven and transferring for the last bit to fire makes good sense.
Alternately, adding lifting strings (easier to get out) you can put the foiled pumpkin into a crockpot on high before finishing in fire.

Try it if you get the chance - it really is quite different but in a very good way.

Good luck mate. Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 8:39am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wrapped the pumpkin in foil and placed on bottom rack,cooked 3 hrs in the end,put in with the chicken,came out well,sliced it and used the mix as a sauce.Wouldnt change a thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 10:25am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Quote Jappie :-
Good question - I usually wrap the pumpkin 4/5 way up the sides with the lid part uncovered. There isn't a lot of smoky flavour from the actual smoking - more from the bacon to be honest, but it does have a funky colour ring around it where smoke hasn't been able to penetrate the foil.
Another hack is ALWAYS wrapping shining side of foil inside.
Apparently this reflects heat inwards??
Not sure how they ever scientifically came up with this but it certainly does work in my humble opinion and cuts cooking time down a bit.

Unquote :- Interestingly enough the mono "magic" foil that is more expensive due to its' claim to be non stick & overall superior advises to ensure the dull side of the foil should be next to the food.

The only comment I can add is that I am going to get told off whenever I try to use it because "That is the expensive stuff ... use the normal cheaper one " !!!!!!!! 

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 3:32pm
Gold
Gold

Thanx very much to all of you, PCJ, Kandrew & Jaapie for the idea and recipes. Initially i thought it's nice creamy dish in a pumpkin shell. Then when Jaapie mention bacon, paprika and some cayenne ... i didn't sleep that night well LOL
This morning after writing long list of my favourites ingredients which imo will go well with pumpkin i went shopping. Not easy to find nice pumpkin, visited four shops and in the end got three small pumpkins, the label say "Butterkin" looks great but is damm small after taking the core out. Hope i can stuffed all the goodies in Ermm  
Tomorow looks like a nice day for outdoor cooking Big smile  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:31am
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yesterdays cook turned out all right . The dog food mutton chops got 5.5 hrs and the pork got a full 12 . After seeing the pumpkin recipe i thought why not . Had one of the small orange ones in pantry , i only put the creamy corn , onion , garlic and some fat off the chops into it  ,fully wrapped in foiland it got 3 hrs.. also couple of spuds and a kumara for just over an hour.. and all is tasty as ..The final product photos are not that good , it's amazing how much beer you have to drink while cooking!!
Page  12>