DIY RAT test

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY RAT test
    Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 10:07am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Have just ( 2 persons ) completed a diy pandemic rat test which showed negative.

We are 99.9 % sure we followed the instructions correctly but were
a tad confused as to the little fold up cardboard stand that rates a mention initially but nothing thereafter as to what function it serves,
can anyone enlighten us please ?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 10:30am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

those things pickup a cold and if you are a bit of colour ,wast of time,so many people are off work because of the tests ,when they donot have covid but alittle of colour.we all went to work with a cold before this bullsh--t started.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:14am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I disagree Lingee. Yes, the RATs are not as accurate as a PCR test (higher false positive rate and also miss some genuine COVID) but they do have their place at the moment.  

I have done a RAT while I had a cold (not flu) and it came back negative.

My daughter (who works for a DHB) has been doing regular RATs and one picked up a positive COVID result when she was feeling "mostly fine - a little off colour" (her description). This was confirmed by a PCR test and then her whole household went down with COVID.  The impact on each person in the house varied but one was very severe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:22am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And sorry Bazza - I don't recall a cardboard stand being in any of the RATs I have done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 12:17pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All of the RATS I have used contain a stand to hold the qualitive membrane based immunoassay solution, whilst inserting the test probe and waiting the required time for the test probe and the solution to combine......

I suspect that is what the stand is for in your case...

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 12:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The cardboard stand is just a holder for the vial that holds the solution so it doesn't spill. Once you've fitted the teat to the vial, place it back in the cardboard holder for one minute before squeezing the drops into the tester.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 1:22pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Blow nose first as snot blocks tit we do a rat test everyday at work.surpridingly those are well fail and 2 days later have it good covid that is. They do work.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 1:45pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see that an Australian company has developed a smartphone app that can detect covid with over 90% success rate just by coughing into you phone microphone.  That could make life much easier for people who need regular tests.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:17pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok, just now i did hv a look what our work have given us.
Think Titahi & Smudge are right, what you're referring to is a stand/holder for the probe/solution.

Btw. I think you are very lucky geting the limited (cardboard) version SARS test, lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:35pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

same as what we have,stick up nose,in to tube for 1 minute  then wait 15.  if isolating wait 7 days and return to work then no testing until day 13 as symtoms still appear.

As for the APP kevin refers too,never going to work as based on how you cough,cough hard enough and you covid??

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 10:58am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Thanx RC & others ......... would appear various manufactures of the kits utilise slightly different components however it appears they all serve the same function ie to soak the swab vertically in the solution after having taken the swab however the instructions
do not make the the relative process & sequences clear enough imo.

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Ok, just now i did hv a look what our work have given us.
Think Titahi & Smudge are right, what you're referring to is a stand/holder for the probe/solution.

Btw. I think you are very lucky geting the limited (cardboard) version SARS test, lol
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 3:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Bazza, I hope you're not sick! My wife has come down with covid since our party and it only Just dawned on me that I forgot to let you and Wayno know.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street