Cheap berkley jig heads at the warehouse

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap berkley jig heads at the warehouse
    Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 6:53pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don’t know if any of you soft bait guys have seen these jig heads at the warehouse, might be worth a try.

https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/berkley-jig-head-34-oz-30/R2702335.html?lang=default

https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/berkley-power-jig-12oz-30/R2380323.html

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 7:03pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

got some here.But found the gulp I have didnt hook on the worm part well,slips off. but sharp hook

Had a tub,lasted a while

Still wonder why fish go for rubber/plastic. None of the colours represent bait fish.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 8:32pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

got some here.But found the gulp I have didnt hook on the worm part well,slips off. but sharp hook

Had a tub,lasted a while

Still wonder why fish go for rubber/plastic. None of the colours represent bait fish.

Because it’s the colour and the way the soft bait moves in the water that attracts them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 4:25pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Had a tub,lasted a while

Two things which might help you out on your learning curve:

1. Gulp jerk shads and crazy legs are very slim in the body, so they tend to burst through any jigheads with a wide diameter or sharp 'holder' ridges. Look for slimmish jigheads for those bodies. I also chop the first 5-7mm tapered bit off the crazy legs bodies so the widest part of the body is up against the lead. 

Conversely, Z Man or Daiwa slip off the more smooth jigheads, and you're best to fish them on Ocean Angler Lightbulbs or TT Lures Headlockz (my preference) which have little gaps up against the lead so the first part of the body sort of clips into it.

2. If you've seen some of the small reef fish around our coast, there are some very bright red/orange species. Squid...Also an increasing number of introduced prawn/shrimp species, and worms/crustaceans which are non baitfish colours. What fish see is, of course, different to us. Which is why UV, fluorescence, lumo etc are things to consider. I've never seen a chartreuse sprat, but in certain light silver baitfish apparently shimmer a yellow/green tinge, and sometimes pink.
But also remember the red in lures is probably a brownish colour in water 15m plus, as it's the first colour to vanish in the depths.

I reckon, as Kandrew says, the attraction is a combination of movement, colour and sometimes scent.
The attractant the Gulps are soaked in is probably a reasonable part of the equation when fishing is hard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 4:55pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just brought another tub of nuclear chicken from the whare,think 30 in a jar and marked down to $13 so why wouldnt  I??  Watched a video on hooking soft baits and Yeah been doing it wrong. Had the hook coming out the slit rather than the shank in the slit. Suppose to be Sunday but Yeah knackered maybe I need to take sick day.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 8:32pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Paul, I find nuk chicken to be more of a spring early summer colour. See if they have any New Penny or Lime Tiger colour, good colours for the mussel farms as well.