Game rods

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 9:32pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How do you reckon this rod would go as a game rod BFB.  No troublesome guides to deal with. Smile  Having said that the use of windon leaders could be an issue due to the internal diameter at the tip.  The model in the pic is rated at 50-80lb.

On this occasion it was being used as a deep drop rod.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 9:50pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great post Bigfishbob. Really like idea of running shorter rods on corners makes bit of sense not just clearance when rigger goes off but shorter rod on stern also easier to clear and bring forward. 

I  know about calstars reputation seem to be go to for heavy tackle and know nz builders have used their blanks… certainly one of the best and arguably most proven. I have owned owned one sabre many years ago, a  6-10kg rod, a light weight, beautiful rod to fish with but managed to snap it on 8kg line on a big king going down into bricks. I’d think the best  blanks/rods from CTS, Composite, and Killwell like xantus, etc would rival the top USA blanks.

However never had pleasure of using them apart from Henk Gross’s custom killwell 37 kg to 60 kg rods he ran in Tonga.. were pretty solid rods and probably caught 100s of blues.

What have used though and probably most impressive was Seeker rod in Cabo on some reasonable marlin. Was sort of like a seven foot 6 ugly stick except had immense power you talked about, definitely high end graphite, top 2.5 ft folded down gradually and then you had about three and half feet of very solid rod lifting power to reel seat. Thing was light as potatoe chips as well, ideal for smaller overhead game reel with braid backing. Sensational rod! 

Another rod  I have with particualary nice action is a shimano t-curve 15kg rod , has lovely action on skippies but yet to be tested on local marlin here, but very popular option in Austailia on smaller stripees and blacks. I should really run it more here but bit of scardy cat.. and was pleased last good hook up had couple weeks ago on an average striped marlin was on 24 kg line, on an old 24 kg sceptre rod, and tiagra 50 wide. That said it is really nice to fight a marlin on really nice rod with good action and downsize the reel size a bit. I’d probably make more progress on that aspiration on doing that if was fishing more and also hooking more fish. :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 10:08pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They never took off for game fishing… may work … I used an okuma tournament spiral jig rod with trini 12 for catching skippies in weekend. Fun but not ideal and was banding down on bit of string to lessen impact strike.
Those interline Diawa’s are designed I think for jigging, although a mate used to strayline with them successfully for snapper with an SL20.
Thing with a marlin is 600 meters or so is probably  going to leave reel real quick so could generate a lot of friction on tip, the point of entry to blank, or in between. Also needs to be stiff enough to set game hook in lure, and absorb strike.. those interlines are also graphite from memory. Going bang on a marlin might be regretted.

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

How do you reckon this rod would go as a game rod BFB.  No troublesome guides to deal with. Smile  Having said that the use of windon leaders could be an issue due to the internal diameter at the tip.  The model in the pic is rated at 50-80lb.

On this occasion it was being used as a deep drop rod.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 10:24pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah those Daiwa Interline rods were a flash in the pan sometime ago. I used one once when fishing at White Island, it was a sample rod setup with braid. So it was difficult to know whether the extra sensititivuty was the rod or the braid since I hadn't used braid before either. I think that the lining up the centre may have had issues on longer fights. That photo is also a good example of some of the rods at the time, that I spoke of earlier, where the butt and mid section don't do much and the tip folds away quite suddenly. 

Seeker arrived on the scene after Sabre folded. It's funny just like we're all Ford versus Holden, the same parochialism exists between Seeker and Calstar, their are others there too now. I've seen some late model seekers and they didn't seem greatly different from the grafiter Calstars. Not much comparison between Eglass and graphite composite. 

Outside of Standup rods, Seeker, and Calstar do a wide range of longer blanks up to 10 feet for fish live bait and jigs. (They fish casting jigs as topwater baits). I had a couple of Sabre graphite rods, one was a 195-6 with a bait caster style intergrated handle and reelseat. It was a great 4kg rod, but is now on the bottom of the parengarenga harbour. The other is a 670H graphite rod, that I used as a land based game rod. Such a shame, I never caught anything on it!

I forgot about those early Shimano stanup rods, I had 15kg and a 6-8 KG versions they were very good rods at the time too, but seem to have been superseded many times over. 

Have to admit I've never used a modern CTS or CD rod. But fair to say there isn't as much gap between most modern rods and their american equaivalents now.   
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 10:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

They never took off for game fishing… may work … I used an okuma tournament spiral jig rod with trini 12 for catching skippies in weekend. 
Those interline Diawa’s are designed I think for jigging, a mate used to strayline with them successfully for snapper with sl 20.
Thing with a marlin is 600 meters or so is probably  going to leave reel real quick so could generate friction on tip, point of entry to blank, or in between. Also needs to be stiff enough to set game hook in lure, and absorb strike.. those interlines are also graphite from memory. Going bang on a marlin might be regretted.

You are quite correct that they never took off for game fishing however I don't think they were aimed at that market.  I'm not exactly sure what market they were aimed at, but whatever it was the punters weren't interested.  This model is not a jigging rod - not parabolic.  Yes the are graphite.  
The question about increased friction with these interline rods is something that fishos have often mentioned as a negative.  Game rods typically have four guides and a tip.  That distributes load on the line over five point load locations.  Interline rods distribute the load over the hollow length of the rod.  Is that more load at any given point along an Interline rod than a point load at a guide?  Too hard for me to work out.  I've read a little bit trying to answer my own question without substantiation either way.  What I did find out however was interesting.  Most people seem to think the max load on a game rod is on the tip.  That's incorrect as the tip is generally pointing in the direction of the line.  The max point load is 2 or 3 guides back as I understand it.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 10:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Yeah those Daiwa Interline rods were a flash in the pan sometime ago....

That photo is also a good example of some of the rods at the time, that I spoke of earlier, where the butt and mid section don't do much and the tip folds away quite suddenly ...

That is precisely the reason I put the pic up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 11:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

May well work ok FA but thinking about it my main concern would be line being stripped off going into a central hole (point of entry) across reel spool unloading line at both edges given how height point of entry sits in relation to most first guides or stripper roller on conventional rods. Then also spreading line back when retieving and not bunching it in middle of spool
You would ideally want a large cavity deep narrow spool game reel … maybe talica 50 (not that I’m a fan of those), or if smaller one of the deep spool narrow jig reels from avet. Not saying wouldn’t work, as with most fishing tackle problems there is a solution.

Bigfishbob other rod to be considered but likely hard to find sadly, would be now defunct Cousins game rods. I have seen them when Gofish sold em.. most of heavier ones were sold to hardcore sword and bluefin guys.. the heavier gamerods looked like awesome piece of kit. Probably also now highly collectable. Greg/ Gofish imported and sold quite a few in NZ, and I really should bought one of heavier ones, although scored a lighter 6-10kg hardly used snapper version second hand, very high quality rod for the money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 11:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

May well work ok FA but thinking about it my main concern would be line being stripped off going into a central hole (point of entry) across reel spool unloading line at both edges given how height point of entry sits in relation to most first guides or stripper roller on conventional rods. Then also spreading line back when retieving and not bunching it in middle of spool
You would ideally want a large cavity deep narrow spool game reel … maybe talica 50 (not that I’m a fan of those), or if smaller one of the deep spool narrow jig reels from avet. Not saying wouldn’t work, as with most fishing tackle problems there is a solution.

The entry of the line into the hole is not an issue as you suggest.  Measured with my calipers the diameter of the entry hole on the Interline rod is 8.16mm.  By comparison the entry frame width of my Aftco Big Foot (No. 47) first guide roller on my 24kg outfit is 6.38mm.

Anyway for those that may be interested there is one of the same Interline rods I have shown pics of on Trademe NZ.  Bidding ends Friday morning.  I have no interest in this rod.  I already have one and live in Perth, WA. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CiaraEirian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:08pm
CiaraEirian View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for sharing.
Download Farming Simulator 16 game at https://apksunny.com/farming-simulator-16/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jathamlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:01pm
jathamlewis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by CiaraEirian CiaraEirian wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
thank you for sharing!
Page  <12