Recs wrecking it

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recs wrecking it
    Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So a mate went out from Half Moon Bay ramp in Auckland on Saturday. 
He returned to find Fisheries Officers checking catches, and who passed on the depressing news that they'd caught 7-8 boats with illegal catches so far.

And as he was retrieving, the officers walked along the jetty and busted the next two arrivals with under-sized fish or other offences...

They, of course, claimed ignorance of the rules.

So that's 10 at least out of the boats that launched at HMB that day. A crazily high proportion.

And that's just the day the officers were there.

And that's just one ramp, with the likes of Kawakawa Bay infamous for crazy fisheries offences, such as boats with huge numbers of under-sized fish concealed under floors, in tyre wells etc.

Add in the double dippers (the little rubber ducky fishers who are out morning and night from any spot they can drive to) the wharf fishers who bucket anything that they can catch on their tiny bits of squid, the indiscriminate netters in our estuaries and beaches.

I salute the Fisheries officers trying to hold the line, and the fact they have to wear stab vests to do that job says it all, really, about the depressing aspects of modern New Zealand.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 9:01pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Very sad state of affairs alright. The punishments need to be much more severe
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 9:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very sad. We'll be the way of Europe and Asia at some point. People will be proudly posting up pictures of stingrays and eels they've caught because there will be f*** all else left. Don't think it can't happen here. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 9:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

From what I've seen, MB, the stingrays will be in their sights too, along with other species seldom targeted here!!

The forecasts that Auckland will reach a population of 2 million soon means the pressure on the fishery is going to keep relentlessly increasing. Might have to head to Northland Wink

I don't want to sound too doom and gloom, but that story from Saturday at the ramp disgusted me.

Meanwhile, I got to my normal suburban beach launch spot with boat in tow before daylight on Sunday to find two cars parked on the beach ramp/access point, and the occupants spilled out around the cars, boozing, playing music and basically trashing the place with empties, cartons etc.

"Here we go", I thought, suddenly feeling pretty solo and indicating with hand movements what I expected them to do so i could get down to the beach. Thankfully after a bit of staunching me out, they decided to move their cars, and my blood pressure started to dip towards normal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 3:43am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that’s hard to hear. On a plus the regular fisheries guy at my busy ramp said he had no undersized all day and plenty of fish to check. I may have been checked 4 times in my life around NZ after thousands of trips. But been checked more than that under a year in Whangarei. Really proactive and great with the public up this way. We would welcome you and share fishing spots when you bite the bullet and move North bud.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 7:39am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - such a sad story. I have been giving the fisheries guys grief this summer -for lack of action. But we are out on a limb location wise. And the poachers know it. It is depressing to watch what goes on.
More money spent of fishery protection, and some decent penalties would help a lot. Compared to what we splash oddles of cash on, I would be happy to see millions more spent on enforcement.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 8:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I salute the Fisheries officers trying to hold the line, and the fact they have to wear stab vests to do that job says it all, really, about the depressing aspects of modern New Zealand.

Thumbs Up

Not just the fisheries guys, font line police who are also under paid under staffed  and get balmed for not attending incidences, Hospital staff, that now lock doors at night and need security, under paid under staffed, then throw in teachers..

If we want these  'sytems' to have real effect, we need to be able to havev the ppl and resources to impliment them in a way it that ppl know if they do wrong, they have more of a chance of being caught, AND senticed in a manner appropriate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 9:09am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

that’s hard to hear. On a plus the regular fisheries guy at my busy ramp said he had no undersized all day and plenty of fish to check. I may have been checked 4 times in my life around NZ after thousands of trips. But been checked more than that under a year in Whangarei. Really proactive and great with the public up this way. We would welcome you and share fishing spots when you bite the bullet and move North bud.

Well, that's a bit of bright news! Glad to hear it's not as rife everywhere. The big city seems to bring out the selfish, dog eat dog mentality in people in many aspects of life.

My wife grew up on a farm in Northland, so whenever we crest the Brynderwyns and get that glimpse of Bream Bay etc she really feels like she's coming home. Maybe one day! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 10:22am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What TK saw is the tip of the iceberg. I know we don't want to catch up with the rest of the world but I rather enjoy a couple of shows on Sky about the Texas and Louisiana Game Wardens. They certainly know how to look after a resource. Every person who fishes needs a license and I assume that license money pays for the enforcement. Its said a million people fish at least once a year in NZ so at even at a nominal fee of $25 that is a fair amount of funding. The sale of boats and gear confiscated would add to that. If we want a heathy fishery I'm afraid the time has come to pay for it. We already pay to hunt birds and fish for trout. I'd be quite happy to pay for a saltwater fishing license provided it was across the board with no exceptions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 11:02am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I watch that show sometimes, while I agree with the sentiment I don't think we would see any gain from licensing. I think of it like this: there is a component in my rates that covers footpaths. There isn't a footpath within 15 km of my place. 

I think the revenue will be lost in a giant cluster of bureaucracy. 

I know it's not fisheries but on Sunday I saw the Harbourmaster on the Manukau Harbour for the first time ever. 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 11:32am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just need to get tough. If there's any contravention, instant confiscation of boat/car/tackle. No ifs, buts or bull**** excuses. Use the proceeds from the sale of confiscated items to fund further enforcement.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 12:07pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We see this all the time off the beaches/rocks what do you do ,  guys go out put 2-4 kontiki lines out , nets staked at low tide in holes, guys taking more than limits we see it the time and nothing happens. The amount of fish we see dumped on the beaches is crazy- some just dont care
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 1:05pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

From what I've seen, MB, the stingrays will be in their sights too, along with other species seldom targeted here!!

The forecasts that Auckland will reach a population of 2 million soon means the pressure on the fishery is going to keep relentlessly increasing. Might have to head to Northland Wink

I don't want to sound too doom and gloom, but that story from Saturday at the ramp disgusted me.

Meanwhile, I got to my normal suburban beach launch spot with boat in tow before daylight on Sunday to find two cars parked on the beach ramp/access point, and the occupants spilled out around the cars, boozing, playing music and basically trashing the place with empties, cartons etc.

"Here we go", I thought, suddenly feeling pretty solo and indicating with hand movements what I expected them to do so i could get down to the beach. Thankfully after a bit of staunching me out, they decided to move their cars, and my blood pressure started to dip towards normal.
Do not worry my friend. 
The Hauraki Gulf Forum in conjunction with co-governence will sort all these problems out. Thumbs Up
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 2:10pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Do not worry my friend. 
The Hauraki Gulf Forum in conjunction with co-governence will sort all these problems out. Thumbs Up
sort the problems outNow that's funny.Do what they are good at sitting on one's hands.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 4:20pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I watch that show sometimes, while I agree with the sentiment I don't think we would see any gain from licensing. I think of it like this: there is a component in my rates that covers footpaths. There isn't a footpath within 15 km of my place. 

The footpath example is a good one smudge. Having said that there are probably others who question why a portion of their rates contributed to the construction of a road to smudge's house, a road they will never use.  

You and I have debated the pros and cons of licensing previously so I'll not commence another chapter other than to say what I've said before.  At a cost of $25 - $40 per annum per angler what have you really got to lose.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 4:38pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

The footpath example is a good one smudge. Having said that there are probably others who question why a portion of their rates contributed to the construction of a road to smudge's house, a road they will never use.  

You and I have debated the pros and cons of licensing previously so I'll not commence another chapter other than to say what I've said before.  At a cost of $25 - $40 per annum per angler what have you really got to lose.

Soon start paying when its gone.Oh thats right,"its our birth right".Still to see it written in the statuary books
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 5:06pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for starting conversation TK,

Thumbs Up,

Its a whole change of mindset needed,
My level of optimism is pretty low,

I finally unravelled the mystery of why [you no where] my favourite 'kingys in shallow spot 'suddenly from last year become a desolate wasteland,[off all species, including stingrays!],

The area has been heavely fished by a commercial longliner[as they can do anywhere in the Gulf at any depth from April 1 every year].

Just one dude and his Mum in a little cubby, but bugger me were talking hundreds of baited hooks, retreved and rebaited over and over and over.

And heres the frigging bucket of salt in the wounds, the Dude doesnt even live in Auckland!
Frigging lives in Thames,
Farts over here, Helps himself , and buggers off. 100% legal.

Heres a quote[before anyone starts defending] from his mouth to a local;

'Mate, went and set 150 baits over on that sandflat, but all i caught were heaps of stingrays".

Anyways,
thought i d share,

RIP, Coastal fishery
RIP.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 5:30pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - a mind set change all round. Could not agree more. But then you get the Comms pressuring MPI at every turn. Had first hand experience of that last yr during the Puka review consultations.
Then we get recs behaving as posted. Everyone seems to think it is not them but someone else that is depleting the fish. I have this discussion with my rec mates constantly - take what you need, leave the rest. One of my good fisho mates still doesn't believe the fishery is struggling. He would be one of the best fishos I know and will catch when others struggle - so he just does not see it. It becomes a bit of a sore point from time to time and sometimes I just lay down the law (my law) if he is on my boat.
So it is a big task all round. Meantime............
And throw in minimal effect from MPI regulating the regs...........
I need another wine.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 6:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Soon start paying when its gone.Oh thats right,"its our birth right".Still to see it written in the statuary books

I think we may have debated boating licences FA. Regardless while I have softened my stance a little (no one cares what you think Smudge) and I would happily pay $25 to $40 a year to be able to fish, but in a New Zealand where Police won't even investigate a home burglary or even check out the firearms ownership of two guys we saw driving down the road outside our house with one of them on the roof with a rifle - we even gave them the rego number, and I pay for my firearms licence - what really will change? The poachers will always be poachers. The change of mindset that is needed is nothing to do with fisheries, it is our response to all crime.

As a nation we don't respond to crime, we 'can't be bothered', the cops won't do anything anyway'. 'Leave him alone, he's ok doing skids - on a public road that has had a couple of skidder deaths - it's not his fault these kids have nowhere to go, we need a skid pad in this town'. We've all heard the excuses. I would have thought a man riding on the roof of a car on a public road at dusk was a crime worthy of investigation. 

So who is going to prosecute these people who are only trying to feed their families? 

No one, even if a fishing licence cost $200. WINZ will pay it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 6:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'll ask 2 questions here. Who has ever reported illegal fishing? Who has had a response?

Let me answer, yes I have. Any response Smudge? Well glad you asked but sadly no.
Page  123 4>