Auckland Area Fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auckland Area Fishing
    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 4:31pm
fitzy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As a long time forum reader I'm amazed at the scarcity of fishing reports and intel these days. Other than a few stalwarts in the Under 12 foot section and a few in the Unders 20's theres very little to be seen.

As a first step then a quick report from Sunday.
Launched Okahu Bay at noon with son his mate and mates father (both novices)  and headed to Waiheke - Church Bay area but only tiddlers. 

Wind was a bit gusty which limited options and headed to Billy Goat Point and found enough shelter about 150 m south of the point. Dropped burley in 18 meters and got 3 rods out. Fish started turning up after 20 minutes or so and was steady fishing.
Ended up with 8 snaps 38 - 44 cm and a good trev. Put quite a few back around 35 cm.

Headed home about 4pm to avoid the wind vs tide scenario. All in all a good day out.

Lets share the info so we all get a feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 5:16am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks fitzy. I haven't fished that side in years.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 10:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had day off yesterday, haven’t been out much off my local of late. Launched later than anticipated (due to drinking too much night before and marital relationship building in morning) off castor bay, to meet 2 other small boat fishos who all thought was a pretty good weather window so all  took day off.
Got few snaps early off bays.. one nice 50cm and few smaller ones on big kahawai slab baits then got on to a large shark , stayed on for a while before being bitten off. Got a nice livie,  so headed out at full speed.
15 minutes later meet the maties nth side admin bay. Few little workups. Lost my livie first deployment. Mate gave me couple of live macks. I had better spot for kings I thought might try there, they hadn’t seen any kingis only large kahawai.
Got to my spot and  first bait gets taken by large kahawai in minutes, following it to boat is an even bigger king, but the kahawai is bleeding heavily so comes to boat to be made into snapper bait.
 Anyway second mack deployed but king is gone. Second live mack deployed this is also taken by a  kahawai. This one not bleeding so gets re-deployed. It’s also a big bait but was confident big king I had seen could eat it. 
After one drift , I motored back to my spot and redeployed my still lively big kahawai. Sad story short, another boat comes into area half way through second drift, and not 20 meters from my upcoming drift, hooks a kahawai on soft bait gear, 60lb plus king appears engulfs kahawai, softbait and all,  and busts them off.
Oh well 30 kg king caught last year, probably ain’t happening this year… although might try again, although suspect this was this years opportunity.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 8:22am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff Shane, one of your preferred methods I think you said was to drift your kahawai with a large hook in his neck, but with no weight on your quite heavy trace and line, you're not a sinker and red balloon guy...the Kings could be around for another month or two, no?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:36pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have to agree with you there, I still put a report out for here and Rags when I can get out but it seems of late more members are interested in political and covid stuff these days, possibly because of the multiple lock downs we have had to put up with.

Lets see more reports please
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 4:38pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Have to agree with you there, I still put a report out for here and Rags when I can get out but it seems of late more members are interested in political and covid stuff these days, possibly because of the multiple lock downs we have had to put up with.

Lets see more reports please
Yep My fishing has become very restricted due to covid,staffing issues.HaHa chucked the job in on 1st January,1 week off and they pleaded for me too come back.Now busy in office/driving/covering staff etc. Mon to fri yeah right,Now where does Sunday fit in Mon to Fri??
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Tug boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 8:32am
Tug boat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I enjoy reading the reports but don't usually contribute mostly because I find when I do try I have issues with the site not allowing me to reply. Anyway after logging in/out a couple of times here goes.

Sat 20th Feb - Launched Maraetai approx 5:30am, fished Z man soft plastics around park point for a couple of hours. Not much action apart from 1x 35cm snapper. Water was murky so probably needed a scented bait. Picked up the family approx 8:00am and set up a berley trail between Maraetai and Waiheke. Picked up some nicer snapper to 45cm on the Outgoing. On the incoming things picked up and picked up a number of nicer 45-50cm models. Nice to see both of my boys pick up PB snaps so they were very happy.

Tues 2nd Mar - Launched Maraetai approx 8:30am and set up a berley trail in the same spot as above. Picked up a few snaps to 35cm but fishing was slow. Pulled anchor and went out Rakino way and same story, another few snaps and one very nice trev. Had a livie in the water at both spots but no takers.

Work ups everywhere but moving fast so hard to cast to. Also saw lots of schools of bait/anchovies in closer to Maraetai so looking forward to being able to cast to a few kahawai off the land soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fish n' giggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 12:19pm
Fish n' giggles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out with the wife and kids last Friday (25 Feb) after work, and launched at Gulf Harbour close to 6pm with the aim to let the kids have a swim at Shakespeare Beach then a quick dinner and try our luck in catching some bait fish and maybe a snapper if lucky.  Birds started to congregate at around 7pm very close to shore in around 5m of water, they were chasing small anchovy on the water.  Managed to land 6 fish by 8pm, biggest went close to 50cm.  Happy family all round Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

Good stuff Shane, one of your preferred methods I think you said was to drift your kahawai with a large hook in his neck, but with no weight on your quite heavy trace and line, you're not a sinker and red balloon guy...the Kings could be around for another month or two, no?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

Kings definitely around another mth or so, March April hopefully the best. Big kahawai livies round reefs and workups. Piper good but lot big kahawai around, so best sight fished to a visible king.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Charliewobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 7:43pm
Charliewobble View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First post here for a while, 
great to find people talking about this area. i have a 12ft Fyran 15hp, go as far as A bouy. usually im one of the few early worms on the water at 4.30am 5am at my secret spot then off out to Abouy for a King.
Sunday just been i was a little later than normal hitting the water at 6am from takapuna, i noted only 4 trailers in the parking , odd!. Secret spot revealed 5 Snapper from 32 up to 40cm. Off out to A bouy with some piper, man was there some sign on the sounder, and sure enough the kings were following, but they were small. Hooked and realeased 2, one was taken on one of my own design jigs, so awesome to fight these beasts on light gear. Bait fish (anchovies) were every where however like out at 40 metres i found the predator fish not very hungry. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tug boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 7:10am
Tug boat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

16/03 - Took half a day off yesterday and went for a quick fish with my wife between dropping off and picking up the kids from school. Launched Maraetai and fished Sergeants channel for approx 3 hours for 8 fish 35-45cm (was only keeping 35cm+).

Had a big bait tossed out for the 2nd 90mins and had a great run with the clicker on, struck and came up tight and then proceeded to get a blistering run...... followed shortly by the hook pulling.

Very enjoyable session.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 1:02pm
fitzy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Delayed report from last Saturday. Invited out on friends launch and headed out to 45 metres east of Kawau. 
4 fishing most of time and had 22 in bin in an hour.
Headed back in for lunch and filleting at Rangi lighthouse.
Great to be back on the water.
Had 3 fish 12 lbs + so dropped them off to Marsics in Glen Innes. Sensational smoking job might the best smoked fish I’ve ever tasted

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 10:53am
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Long time, no report, so here goes.

We have been up in the Bay of Islands since March so haven't spent much time around Auckland however, we are back now and enjoying the waters here.

We launched Bucklands Beach yesterday around 6.30 and headed out to Maria/David Rocks area, stopping only to pick up some live bait on the way out. We only have a small boat so don't get out deep often, but the forecast was great.

We had a livey deployed for a kingy all day but no interest other than losing a few to snaps.  Interesting that quite a few were hit hard, and came up dead and chewed but not taken.  It's almost as if the snapper were aggressively smacking things that moved but not actually hungry - pre-spawning behaviour? 

Anyhoo, we chased a small workout behind the Noises and picked up a couple of snaps on a slider and a strip of salted kahawai,then tried for kingies closer to the rocks, then out around some pins, or rises in the bottom. No kingies but a steady stream of good sized snapper on the softies. The other thing that worked well were the small jack macs, hung live and bleeding on an 8/0 hook on the bottom. 

We then tried right at the Aahaha's but nothing doing in spite of a lot of sign.

With plenty of fish in the bin we headed back but were distracted by some good sign not far from the Aahaha's and were treated to some spectacular sb fishing with most around 36 - 40cm, kissed goodbye and sent back to breed. Eventually my wife was worn out from hauling up fish so we headed back in with ten snaps from 34 - 56cm and a trev on board.

Best softbait was the zman bruised banana 5" shad (but we only tried two colours).

Crazy number of boats out there and had to keep a constant watch when underway with boats approaching from both sides.

We were hoping for some good work up action but no complaints (no-one listens anyway).

Cheers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 4:42pm
fitzy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Quick report form yesterday. Shot out late afternoon, quite windy but found a spot near Woody Bay, Rakino.
Used up some old bait from freezer and got 15 + in 90 minutes kept 4 all 40 cm +.
Gusty SW wind got up about 6.30 so headed home, shame as bigger fish just starting to turn up.