First rock/beach casting rod advice

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 11:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3 ounce you can also go down 15 kg shock leader, can bring some tomorrow if keen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 2:42pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok interesting... I put my sinker directly on the braid to do some practice casting and still getting issues.

I think the braid is looping/knotting immediately as it comes off the spool and gets stuck in the eyes.

Mostly when I wind it in, it's fine. But occasionally there is still one or two tangle points I have to untangle.

Will have to respool with new line I guess.

Think my new braid got lost in the mail, but if it ever arrives I'll go with 22lb braid and 10m of 50lb shock leader
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 2:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

You most likely have line twist. If you reel out 100m or so with no terminal tackle - no sinker, leader or swivel and wind the line in slowly using your fingers for tension that will take care of it. If you have line twist you will see the line curly up when you leave it to hang.  Line twist is caused through either winding the line on incorrectly or winding the reel in while the drag is slipping.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:00pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

3 ounce you can also go down 15 kg shock leader, can bring some tomorrow if keen.

You are a nice guy. I could offer some but I'm to lazy. 
Have he contacted you and taken the offer ?
Cos reading what he is  doing is very painful Ermm 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:06pm
Bronze
Bronze

Really appreciate the offer but I'm gonna bumble through this myself even if it causes some readers agony
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe, fair enough Jo Bloggs at least it will sink in when you get it Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:33pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by mejobloggs mejobloggs wrote:

Really appreciate the offer but I'm gonna bumble through this myself even if it causes some readers agony

Hope you change your mind and take the offer and quick, offers like that don't come offten from experiance fishos like thatWink Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 10:51am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I run 2 sets, a 30lb & 20lb braid with tapered leader, 40lb. I get my mate Mike at Riders Sports, to tie it on for me. 

The knock you hear when casting is because there are not enough wraps? winds on the reel, minimum of 6, is needed, this will eliminate that, when that crack, knock comes back is prolly cause leader has gotten shorter over time. Is how I found that out..so Tie on another leader... Fg is a great knot but not the bee's knee's. Made you look like a pro, Fuuu fg bro da man!! Don't ask my mate what he uses but it's good... Also that knock you hear, would be more noticeable on low rider guides.

Don't bumble your way thru, when you don't have to. Offer was a great one... I started taking young people & older with me, who want to learn or at least catch & get a feed to take home for the fams... great buzzz. The look on their faces is priceless...

good luck...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 2:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great advice from ShaneG, RockCrashing and John Ra. Check out this post from John Ra 

I have fished with John and he is a very capable fisherman and one of the nicest guys, take his advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 9:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m out was drinking way too much last night and giving random advice and pming smudge at close to midnight .. really need to have a look in mirror.
I used to surfcast a lot but my advice is probably way out of date. Still happy to have a casting comp with whoever but really should just shut my trap. Thanks Rocks Chrshing for nice words, I probably don’t deserve em, although lighter casting leader would probably be good start, as smudge already identified last night. You need a good knot though… there I go again thinking I know something!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 5:09am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm sure you know plenty ShaneG!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 8:34pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hmm had my first crack off after reducing down to 15kg shock leader. 15 metres leader. 4oz sinker

There were no twists or anything that looked like the remains of a knot, so I'm pretty sure the line failed, not the knot.

Was using this
https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/black-magic-premier-supple-monofilament-line

It's just mainline but I thought it'd be strong enough.

Should I be using "Trace" mono? Though that was just marketing but maybe it's genuinely better?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 9:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Before Smudge beats me to it.
Knot my problem but knot is your problem. Easiest way to fix , tie short double in braid 6cm  to to 10cm with a surgeons dropper loop, then tie 15 kg mono in with a “no name knot” or similar knots with other names (like San Diego jam.. and others) .
Or learn how to tie a proper fg knot, which is harder to learn but proper modern way to probably do this mono to braid and the strongest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 9:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

The FG mono to braid knot is still there and working well .

The mono snapped at the other end near the swivel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 10:00pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sinker above swivel? Might smashed it. Tie an improved clinch in swivel. Possibly put lumo bead before swivel but shouldn’t need it if sinker rests on swivel when cast.
If ledger rig with sinker at bottom of rig is irrelevant.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 9:49am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Two other things that could have happened apart from knots:

1. Tip wrap.
 If the line is looped over the tip then it would easily snap 15kg when casting.  You hear a loud crack as well.  I have a habit of lifting my finger holding the line up and down when set up for the cast.  If there is no feeling of weight from the sinker then the tip is wrapped.  Still miss it once in a while.

2. Line abrasion. 
This could be from either a sinker rubbing hard against a knot (applies to a running rig & beads help solve this).
The knot itself may not have been lubricated when drawn tight causing the heat from friction to weaken the line. This won't show a curly tail, just a straight break.
Or the line may have been rubbing on a rock or something the last time it was out.

Personally I think tip wrap would be the most likely cause.  It happens to everybody and the reason sinker manufacturers stay in business.   Some quality rods use an "anti-wrap" tip which are great at solving this problem. 

Page  <12