How to join lines without having bits poking out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to join lines without having bits poking out
    Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 11:01am
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm trying to join a nylon trace to my braid line.

Tried a few different knots on youtube... maybe I just suck at tying knots but I always have the ends poking out.

I cut them as short as possible, but they often catch when casting.

I probably could solve it by having a much shorter trace, so it doesn't get line on top of the knot... but I'd love tips to make my knots more "streamline"

Using 0.5mm nylon trace and 0.28mm braid if that matters
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 12:57pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very carefully melt with a lighter and roll with fingers,
how long a trace do you use??

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 4:11pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:03pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bang on, Alan. FG.

Those Salt Strong vids are the best and clearest, and I firmly believe the tension method is easiest to learn as a beginner - the loose loops method is harder to get right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:03pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep FG...just make sure with all braid knots you pull every turn ,1/2 hitch up well before the next.
 Im not a fan of burning back with a flame , espec on very fine threads..the amount heat just next to the flame is rather great and heat not good for the surrounding lines.

The concept of finishing with several 1/2 hitches has nothing to do with knot strength.. it is just there if the last hitch comes loose, you notice, and even if dont notice there are a lot more that need to loose...
That 1st 1/2 hitch after the FG sets the knot, (and applies to a bimini twist,) secures the knot. The rest just insurance in case that hitch loosens.....and gives a nice lead into the thicker part of the know when go thru the rod eyes.
IF you have pulled every twist or knot up as you go.

You can use the rod and the reel break to tension one end.. foot on the other or a loop tied in end braid and around your little finger to replace the TV remote in the video
Unlike the video , pull each figer of 8 turn up tight as you go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:27pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What you need to do, and I don't think it is in the Vid, is , at the end of the FG - when you do the half hitch to finish, PULL THE WHOLE THING TIGHT. As tight as you can. This sets the knot.  Like TK, I pull the thing tight, each wrap, as you go. Keep tension on. The rest is cosmetics. The knot is done. But pull the thing hard before cutting the last of the mono off. I melt the last bit of mono , but I suspect not needed. Then also not in the vid, I finish with a bunch of reversing half hitches L-R-L-R, after the mono, then double back same. Then finish with a double half hitch and I use a drop of supa glue on that tag end. I know many don't like it. It just stops the tag end coming free after multiple times pulled thru guides. And the two layers of half hitches smooths the transition between thin braid and thicker mono. If I was still at my rods as this morning I could take several pics of them all rigged with FG knots - braid on reel, mono leader. Some been there a yr or more, and used weekly if not more.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

yes, you and Steps are both right, and yes, that need to pull tight after the series of wraps is in the Salt Strong vids. 

They're very clear that the hard pull at the end of thewraps, pinch, and the first two half hitches, is the key to the whole thing - and that the knot is essentially done at that point. Which is why you can cut the mono/fluoro. 

They do a 'mistakes with the FG' vid which highlights the lack of doing that as the most common error.

As you say, all the Rizutto finish flourish etc is not part of binding the braid wraps to the mono/fluoro. But it does tidy the knot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 8:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the Rizutto finish flourish

Correct me if wrong but I thought the rizutto was basically a 1/2 hitch but one goes around 3 or 4 times....sort of like the surgeons.
Not simply doing a series of 1/2 hitches. ????

I use the rizutto a lot tieing mono/ fluro... but when put in braid as it pulls up it tends to bunch into a ball rather than lay flat. this makes a lump rather than a nice formed lead thru the rod eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 10:37am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Rizzuto finish is the best way, it forms a slight ramp to the finished knot so it goes out the eyes easily when casting.
Yes Steps, basically a half hitch with 4-5 wraps around one leg BUT do not just pull tight. Unwrap the loop so it actually forms a wrapping just below the finished knot. If you go around 4 times, you will need to unwrap 4 times, you will notice the 2 legs will end up side by side, just pull end tag and knot is finished.
Really it is just a nail knot
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 11:20am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A rizzuto is the best way to finish IMO as it won't come undone as a half hitch is prone to do. I'm just trying to tie the knot in my head but if you start the rizzuto with the wraps furthest from the knot (easy to get it right when you don't have to think about it) it will bunch up. Try it the other way and it will work fine
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 11:21am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Oops I started that post and left it. By the time I posted Kaveman has replied and explained it way better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 12:04pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep Kev is totally onto it, just like a nail knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXiHdR8kFU

And when I use it on heavy mono and braid on my stick bait rods I always burn a little ball onto the end of both the mono and braid for added protection.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 12:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

very good summary, guys. Definitely more of an effective 'lock'.

The Rizzuto is certainly easier with higher PE braid - each 'unwind' should sit alongside the one next to it, and that's easier to see and do with thicker braid. With braid that's PE less than 1 that I sometimes use softbaiting, I can't see the winds of line very well as my eyesight gets worse.the Rizzuto becomes a bit of guesswork.

But as discussed above, it's all really about tidying and easing the transition from the diameter of the fluoro and knot to the thinner braid, not actually the effectiveness of the knot strength itself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 2:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can't see the winds of line very well as my eyesight gets worse.the Rizzuto becomes a bit of guesswork.

Yes thats my issue as well.. Im blind in the center of my left eye and right eye is reasonably ok...
 Been getting injections every 4 to 5 weeks in both eyes for the lat 3 or 4 yrs.
Another 2 injections tomorrow.
 Oh and salt on my glasses doesnt help Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:52am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeas the rizzuto helps with the transition and doesn't unwind as the half hitches invariably do and I guess supaglue will help with that.