Loading Braid on an Electric Baitcaster

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eirever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loading Braid on an Electric Baitcaster
    Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 2:22pm
eirever View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all. have been reading this forum for some time and joined up just recently. Makes me realise I'm really still a novice Embarrassed
And as you would have it, my first post is a call out for help.
Ive been surfcasting off and on for over 50 years, Wellington, Marl Sounds and since retiring, the Bay of Plenty.
I recently bought a drone and an electric reel, for a number of reasons including the matter of not being able to cast as far as I once did.
Anyway, I digress.
I had a friend who has used baitcaster reels all his life load 800 metres of 80lb braid on. But never an electric baitcaster. Looked good until I find somehow the braid has got crossed over on the reel during loading and after pulling out about15 metres of line, it jams up.

I haven't tried threading the pulled out line under the line crossing over it as I wonder if it actually self corrects if I slowly pull out enough line. Then again, I don't want to find another tangle when the drone has pulled 600 metres off the reel.

Whats to do? Is there an easy answer to this or am I going to have to cut the line at some place.
Cheers
Tony
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 2:46pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can't see how it is possible for the braid to get crossed over while braid was loaded on the reel.  Uncross the line and try again.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 4:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't see how that could happen either unless the end of the line went through all the guides and somehow the last little bit crossed up.

Did it birdsnest at all? If it did then just carefully pull the end of the line using only enough drag to stop the reel over running.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eirever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 5:45pm
eirever View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys. I cant work it out either, how it happened I mean. Ive done a lot of googling before trying to explain it here. The closest explanation I can find is what seems to be termed 'line burrowing'. However when I pull the line out to try and free it, the leader is buried under a crossed over piece of line and without picking at it with a piece of wire Ive made up, it is tightly snagged.

I think my only option is to take it into a shop that does line loading and let them see it.
I'll put the answer here if/when I get one Ermm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 6:15pm
Platinum
Platinum

If the braid wasn't wound on the spool tightly (under load) then it is more than likely burrowing.  Mono can do the same if wound on too loosely resulting in the the line digging in / burrowing when the drag tightened is up.
Try and loosen a single strand of line and then rotate the spool by hand further loosening the strand of braid.  You will eventually free it up.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 6:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Eirever, try what Fish Addict says first, that is what I was trying to explain.  What area are you in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eirever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 8:55pm
eirever View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes, I'm doing exactly that and have a made a hook on a bit of wire to pick up the braid.
I was just hoping there might be an easier answer.

The problem started about 10 metres into the reel and by holding a loop of braid off the reel as I pulled more off, the 'crossover' disappeared after about 5 more metres.
Unfortunately a few metres further on and back to having to hold it off the reel. It took about 30 mins to pull the first 70-80 metres off and I have 800 on the reel.
A boring 4-5 hours to check the whole load.
At least with the electric wind it will be a relatively quick rewind.
Providing the dog doesn't come out to the shed and decide to sleep on the nice red braid mattress in the middle of the floor.

Thanks for your input. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eirever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 8:58pm
eirever View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Smudge. I was actually already doing that as it was the only option I could think of but seeing a long jo ahead and getting a bit short tempered over it, thought there may have been a simpler answer.
We're in the Pyes Pa area, Tauranga.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 9:16pm
Platinum
Platinum

It should start to get easier as you progress as the line has only dug into some of the underlying layers.  I think I'd be looking at winding the line on the shed floor onto a spool or another reel.
It sounds very much like the braid has been wound onto the reel with insufficient tension.  That being the case it would be wise to remove all the line and then wind it back on as tightly as you can.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 9:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by eirever eirever wrote:

Thanks Smudge. I was actually already doing that as it was the only option I could think of but seeing a long jo ahead and getting a bit short tempered over it, thought there may have been a simpler answer.
We're in the Pyes Pa area, Tauranga.

OK a bit out of the way for me, Fish Addict has exactly the same thoughts as me. If you could send the reel to me in Auckland I'd happily sort it for you but lets see where this goes first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eirever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:24am
eirever View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You bloody beut. Thanks for the offer smudge.
Fish Addicts comment about a shed floor covered in line had me digging thru some old reels last night to wind this one on to. Found an old Penn baitcaster but it wouldn't hold the 800 metres..
Think I'll head down to Hunting and Fishing and see if they can help. My mate who did the job is so embarrassed he offered to pay, but of course I wouldnt take him up on that so he will supply the beer on our next overnight Smile.
I hadn't told him about the problem but last night rang him to see if he had a spare large reel and had to explain. He agrees its this so called line burrowing and is encouraging me to rewind the lot as he probably didn't keep even pressure on the line as it wound on, plus he played with the speed of the electric wind quite a bit that might have increased the likelihood of a problem.

PS.smudge. Love yours (and others) veg garden tips too . Up until 10 year ago we lived on small acreages with big veg gardens, horses and 'stock'. Taken us a few years to adapt to living in town on 750sq section. Health challenges regrettably forced the change.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eirever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 11:12am
eirever View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well that was easy. Good result. Took the reel to Hunting and Fishing, Chapel St, Tauranga.
An overnight and they took all the line off and rewound. I only put 800 metres on, but rewound I wouldve got 1000 I think.

A cheap lesson $30 for the rewind.

Cheers guys.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 12:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for letting us know the outcome eirever. Just remember that we only know this stuff because we've been there ourselves. Especially me, I'm a slow learner Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eirever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 11:17am
eirever View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for your input smudge. Ive been fishing for many years but have usually got our catch using the KISS principal. A rod, hooks, line and sinker. Never a problem, I either caught a fish, or didnt.
Now that Ive gone a bit techo with the drone and electric reel Im starting to wonder if Ive bitten off more than I can chew.
Am in recovery mode after a bit of hospital procedure that has had a few unadvertised consequences (prostate biopsy).The electric reel was a Christmas present and is still unused. The drone arrived the night after the biopsy and the only action it has seen is sitting on our driveway while I practice the setup etc and the neighbours admire the flashing lights.

We have a motorhome and I usually camp out on the coast between Pukehina and Matata for fishing. Used to do quite well and bring home a feed perhaps 2 out of 3 times. These days it seems the only snapper caught are out past the 400m mark. Kawahai can be anywhere even quite close in at times of course. Hence the electric gear. No cupboard big enough for a kontiki so am giving the drone a try.
Hopefully, in time, I'll have some bragging reports and pics.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 9:47am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good luck eriever, look forward to some pics