Help johnson 90hp cranks but no spark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishingfordaysz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help johnson 90hp cranks but no spark
    Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 8:32pm
Fishingfordaysz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello brought my first boat and need help motor cranks but no spark its a johnson 90hp any help will be much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 9:17am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1st thing  is put the engine in for a full service...
That will  fix the above.
And check out gearbox oil, timing correctly which cant be done well without tanks a special props... also which if not can cause serious component failures running into high 100s dollars... and water pump sensors etc etc.

And coast guard membership.
You are out on the water.. no local AA guy in a ute having a cuppa under a tree.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishingfordaysz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:09am
Bronze
Bronze

alright will get the engine full serviced don't want to be out at sea and get stuck and yeah il get them to check all those as well thanks for help
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:19am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The very first thing you should check is that the kill switch hasn't been accidentally operated.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 11:29am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was it running when you brought it?? If so as smudge says kill switch check if was running on purchase give previous owner a call as too possible causes
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishingfordaysz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 5:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

Would u know where the kill switch is located?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishingfordaysz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 5:30pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yes the motor was running when purchased, I had to replace steering cable and also the starter motor, ever since we installed starter motor we have had this problem with it cranking but no spark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishingfordaysz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 7:37pm
Bronze
Bronze

update: Found kill switch now engine has spark thanks smudge now it sounds like boat wants to start but its not and its backfire and smoking but happy as it now has spark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 8:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Do you know the starting routine? It's been years since I've used a VRO (I presume thats what it is?) From memory its pretty standard. Pump up the bulb. Turn on the key, push it in and count to three before twisting the key to engage starter motor. It sounds to me like you aren't pushing in the key before starting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 9:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Maybe you need to raise the idle lever a little also
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 8:47am
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a 90hp Johnson, if I wasn't pushing in the key at the same time as starting it would never fire.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 10:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Push the key in as turn over"
And "the kill switch"

Anyone actually read the hand book / manuals?
The part how to start the engine?

pushing the switch activates the choke.. all engines require a rich mixture to initially  fire up on, lawn movers , chainsaws, cars, and of coarse outboards..

All set up right, the only other reason when doesnt re start after a time, is the bulb is not mounted vertical and fuel runs past the non return ball bearings..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 10:57am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Just to explain the key push thing.  Pumping the bulb pressurises the fuel line. The fuel line has a solenoid which goes straight to the motor - it bypasses the carburettor pretty much. When the key is pushed, the solenoid energises allowing a shot of fuel into the crankcase so it is an enrichener rather than a choke but both serve a similar purpose. Steps is right that the fuel bulb must be mounted correctly and must also be in good condition of course.