Is my boat sitting too low in the back?

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 5:34pm
Sambo Black View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Kandrew

Yeah I think it is sitting low too. The boat dealer I purchased from is just saying to shift some weight around but I don’t think that will fix it enough.

My worst fear is a wet transom ☹️ but there’s only one way to find out.
I mentioned that to the dealer but they didn’t think it would be that. I hope that if it is they honour some sort of warranty and help me out.
I had thought of weighing the boat, engine and trailer also so I think I will do that and go from there. Attached is a photo of original stinger specs showing hull weight to be 435 kg, I’m pretty sure the engine is 180kg I would have thought the trailer be only 300 kg or so??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 5:40pm
Bronze
Bronze

Malcom in the middle.

I have tote tanks in the transom, 2 of them at the time of the photo about 40 litres of fuel. I find it hard to believe 40 litre of fuel and a battery would drop the stern as much as mine though.

I have attached a photo of another stinger sitting in the water and mine definitely sits lower than this one

I am considering moving my battery and any other weight possible forward though.

What hp motor was on your stinger? Did yours sit low?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:40pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sambo Black Sambo Black wrote:

Malcom in the middle.

I have tote tanks in the transom, 2 of them at the time of the photo about 40 litres of fuel. I find it hard to believe 40 litre of fuel and a battery would drop the stern as much as mine though.

I have attached a photo of another stinger sitting in the water and mine definitely sits lower than this one

I am considering moving my battery and any other weight possible forward though.

What hp motor was on your stinger? Did yours sit low?

Weight the boat first and make sure it’s not way over weight which will indicate a bigger problem. Sealed floor space full of water, I’ve had this on other boats and moving the battery won’t fix the problem.

Had that problem on a figlass, drained the floor I reacon there was 150 litres of water in it. I installed it couple of extra bungs down low on each side of the boat so I could drain it and it was like a new boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:59pm
Bronze
Bronze

Wow really?? 150 litres is a **** load

Where did you mount the bungs?

Would there not be timber down there that would have rotted?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 8:18pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There’s a lot of positive buoyancy in a large figlass, had a couple of cracks where the seat frames are glassed to the floor allowing water to get in. Floor was solid so I repaired the glass and sprayed on so new fleck coat.

I put the bungs on the outside at the bottom of the hull on each side, easy to get at.

I had the same problem with a 5mtr tinny I owned. Welded checker plate floor and one of the welds had cracked letting water into the rear left hand chamber. Boat sat wrong in the water and being a tinny I could hear it. Couple of bungs fixed. Had about 50 litres of water in that chamber.

You could check the insides of the bludge to see if there are bungs fitted there in the buoyancy chambers. You might be able to unscrew them and drain the chambers from there.

The other thing, when you get it sorted out you need to take that foil off the bottom of the motor and throw it away. Cause more problems than they are worth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 8:05am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all your knowledge Kandrew I will try and weigh my set up in the next week and I’ll let you know how I get on. I am going to try get a weight of the trailer so I can be as accurate as possible seeing as I know the original weight of the hull and engine.

Why do you say get rid of the hydrofoil? I have heard they are good for smaller boats at getting them higher on the plane but are pointless on larger boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 9:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And why is there a perma trim, 115 hp would be max power if a little over. A 115 on the back of a Commander, is bottom of well powered.
 Only time a perm trim is needed is with significantly under power boats... If changing the prop rake doesn't drop the bow, lift the stern.

Think about this ..
Manufactures do not sell branded hydrofoils.. but sell everything thing else branded.
A foil removes warrentees.
Cavitation plates do not have holes pre drilled or even marking to drill.
There is no mention of foils in their literature, brochures or installation and how to instructions and on install, service and repair manuals.

And yes follow up on KAs water in flotation compartments...often over looked. Tends to sit the stern low at rest and when under cruise if one side, one will move a person over to the other side to  correct lean (wheel alignment)  and will have a back of the mind  thought " hmm thats seems a lot weight change to make travel flat.."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 11:48am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sambo Black Sambo Black wrote:

Thanks for all your knowledge Kandrew I will try and weigh my set up in the next week and I’ll let you know how I get on. I am going to try get a weight of the trailer so I can be as accurate as possible seeing as I know the original weight of the hull and engine.

Why do you say get rid of the hydrofoil? I have heard they are good for smaller boats at getting them higher on the plane but are pointless on larger boats
I’ve had them on boats and they can cause a lot of issues in a following sea, big flat area for waves to apply pressure to. When you come off a wave and hit the next one depending on the angle the wide flat area of the perma trim can get pushed around by the wave and cause the boat to broach on the wave. Same thing can happen when your slowing down, your wake wave catches up to you and pushes the back of the boat around.

Can be a problem if your crossing a bar and get caught by the wave behind. Had one on a 5 mtr tinny, wasn’t the best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 12:50pm
Bronze
Bronze

Steps. Thats a fair comment, seems odd why put them on if they’re not needed.

Kandrew what you have explained definitely makes sense with the following wave pushing you around.

I don’t intend on taking the boat over any bar, especially while my arse is so low but I’ll definitely take it off and see how different the ride is.

My old boat had a foil aswell but I just thought the were the norm… shows how much I have to learn

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Malcolm in the Middle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 1:24pm
Malcolm in the Middle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mine had a 90 HP 2 stroke Merc and under floor fuel - so not as much rear weight as yours. We only ever had water wash into the outboard well if all crew moved to the stern to land a fish etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:45pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Malcom in the middle.

Did you have any other weight besides you Main engine back there? Ie : batteries? Auxiliary motor?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 6:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Unlike the vast experience of some boat owners on here I've only owned two power boats. Both had permatrims fitted. They do help an underpowered boat out of the hole. In my limited experience that is. I don't see a need for them otherwise. I'm basing that on the many times I've been on other power boats without permatrims, I've never been on a well powered boat (been on a few - well very many actually) where i though, gee this boat would go well with a permatrim Big smile

I have often wondered if we should have a credibility rating here, you know what I mean, fish species caught, boats owned etc.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 6:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Having said that, most contributors here certainly do have some good experience! That's why we're fishing knowledge online after all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 7:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

Too right there smudge! So appreciative of all the advice and help I’ve had! 👍👍

I have heard the same about permatrims. I never knew they were an ‘add on’ like steps mentioned though.
Pretty crazy they void any warranties and are bolted through the cavitation plate like that.

Enjoying learning about it all anyways
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 7:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah I do believe they are unnecessary on a well set up boat, but I have one on mine!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 11:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty crazy they void any warranties and are bolted through the cavitation plate like that

No its not crazy at all.. as we, smudge says used on under powered boats.. an under powered boat, tractor plane, whatever has to work lot harder and no reserve power for a slight slope ahead...loads up over loads powerhead even more... then throw a permatrim on , more load, more drag on the leg...
Hence why manufactures , hulls and engines, have specs and recommendations
 Now that doesnt mean one cant drop a small engine on say a barge or launch...they have momentum, which in effect becomes reserve potential energy, and it is propped with correct slip , and max rpms.

are bolted through the cavitation plate like that

Well one has to drill the holes, they are not there from the factory...

Going to throw this under to expand the concept in practical terms  a little further...
Batteries.. just  like an engine they are a source of potential energy and like engines rated in energy units.. stored and output. (little over simplified)
So lets say your engine is rated for 500 cca battery.. that runs the engine electrical components (coils power packs etc) fine... But start adding gps, transducers, lights, vhf, pumps, winches , capstains...Then the battery also becomes under powered for the engine.. power packs , coils start to run hot, and slow death.
 So if your engine owners manual, spec says say a 500cca , get a 650cca.

Same for engines..constant load with no reserve power thru the rpm range, not the best when need that reserve power.

I've never been on a well powered boat (been on a few - well very many actually) where i though, gee this boat would go well with a permatrim

I have and its not that uncommon...unless its a 30ft planing launch that when 3/4 way thru, building the wife wants a bath at the back sort of thing and to late to change layout design around to re balance..
Comes aback to several things.. engine height, correct slip, correct pitch (in that order) and if that all good, change the rake of the prop, and /or 4 blade to lever the bow down under power... which happens to lift the stern.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:00pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all I have weighed my boat……

So I did some digging and found that

My hull weighs approximately 435kg

Engine approximately 170 kg

Trailer has a name plate stating 260 kg and I have phoned trailer maker to confirm this (approximately)

So I have that totalling 865kg…

Now I still had a couple of things on deck when I weighed, these were

Auxiliary motor BRACKET only
Small size fire extinguisher
Approximately 10l engine oil
1x battery
Boarding ladder
Spare tyre for trailer
The only other thing was the steering cables and fuel lines, gauges etc

I have allowed maximum 50kg for all this

My total weight on the weigh scale was 1030kg

I think I now have a reason to be concerned that I have a waterlogged hull…

What do you all think?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:24pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep even if you doubled your 50kg for extras to 100kg, that’s still an extra 65kg which is a lot.

I would go back to the guy you brought it off and ask him what to do next.

Do the 506 have individual chambers or one big one. Looks like you may have to get the drill out.

PM me your number and we can discuss a plan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:55pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not necessarily an issue. From my observations of manufacturers advertising hull weights they are literally just the weight of the bare hull.......  it must be seen as an advantage to say you build a light boat.....easier towing etc.
So I would ask  does the 430Kg include  seats, carpet , wiring, lights, electronics, rod holders, windscreen and the other 101 things that go into a boat. I think it definitely wont include anchor and ground tackle, tanks, fuel , batteries, bait station , aerial(s), canopy  etc. so that extra 65kg would disappear quite quickly.

I know on my own boat I quite regularly bring stuff on board like a few books, another rod,  an extra ice box or whatever. So over time all that crap builds up because for some reason unless I make a concerted effort, nothing gets taken off again.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

Funandfuction

Yep fair point there mate I did wonder what the ‘hull weight’ consisted of.

However I allowed 50kg for the things I left in the boat written in earlier post, battery oil etc that was everything aside from what you mentioned that is fixed and part of the hull. ie: seats, windscreen etc

That leaves 115kg unaccounted for not 65kg so still seems too much to me?

I’d love it if I’m wrong and it’s dry but not getting a good feeling so far
Page  <123>