What spin reel would you pair this rod to

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What spin reel would you pair this rod to
    Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 7:48pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

12 -30 lb vip.
Have an hold spinfisher 850ss spooled with 15lb for surfcasting, think line might be a bit light.  There is 750ssm at marine deals quite tempting. Old school rod which is very soft in tip but quite bit of power down low there I suspect. Have a twin power 400 living in garage, with pe2 on it, semi retired and fit for action but seems bit small for such a rod.
Procured tonight off my brother for its weight chardonay plus what I drank.
Was thinking 6 also bottles of good one to be fair.
Also he had a lovely 6 -10kg livefibre rod (maroon one), sadly built off spline, great blank though and old perfection guides - need to go., Probably reel seat needs to come off isn’t right. Had kings on it  but reckons pulls right/ to starboard, or probably port if facing astern, and see that as annoying.  I probably wouldn‘t  notice and just turn the rod a bit. Might be worth another good bottle of Pinot noir.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:39pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shimano Baitrunner 6000 of one flavour or another according to budget. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:51pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Come on MB why that reel. And how much are they… and why are they the best value. Will be straylining mainly by the way, maybe odd lure flicked for kahawai for livie.
Mate took new new okuma baitrunner back last week .. didn’t like it, but looked like sweet reel when bought round to show me.. He is a fan of those shimanos bait runners and one of best rock fisherman around.
Let me know why think shimano 6000 above the others. I’m open minded shimano fan as well but caught some big snaps on penns for 30 yrs. Also jig with a Diawa eggbeater that 15 yrs old and its still taking good kings despite not being anywhere near their top of line stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:21pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not the best, but pretty reliable. I've just respooled my 12000D, purchased in 2012 and still runs and looks like new. I assumed you'd be bait fishing with a rod like that, so the Baitrunner option makes life easier in that respect. A 6000 seems about the right size and weight for that rod. I like my Penn reels too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:35pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Not the best, but pretty reliable. I've just respooled my 12000D, purchased in 2012 and still runs and looks like new. I assumed you'd be bait fishing with a rod like that, so the Baitrunner option makes life easier in that respect. A 6000 seems about the right size and weight for that rod. I like my Penn reels too.
nice thanks for reply, might have look at them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:43am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'd be looking at something like a Thunnus 8000 or similar sized Penn reel. I haven't owned a new Penn for many years but I believe them to be pretty good reels. I'd go with a bait runner type reel either way. I
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:02pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is what you need, reel only

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/penn-spinfisher-vi-6500-live-liner-and-ssm-boat-spin-combo-7ft-8-10kg

As a cheaper option

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/penn-fierce-iii-6000ll-live-liner-spinning-reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:23pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep Kandrew leaning towards a penn, favourite for longtime 650ss old American made spinfisher. Also have penn fierce 2 6000 series non bait runner. Both are great even more recent one is seemingly indestructible even on decent kings. But this is not a penn advert and respect smudges thunnus recommendation.. don’t know as much about them. Had early shimano bait runners but they all broke down eventually whereas the spinfishers are all still taking big fish. Never really been a bait runner fan. But a lot of new reels with good drag can’t be made to fish light drag required for wary fish taking bait, unless have bait runner function. Also want something 6000 to 8000 size.
Plus I am a scrouge. Although did deliver 4 bottles nice chardonay to brother tonight for rod, only probably equates to 3 bottles as would of drank a bottle of his last night. Would have bought rod for $65 in garage sale had I seen it, so fair.
Will have a think, have plenty of gear to take tomorrow but hate seeing good rod in one of racks without a nice fitting reel on it. Reel choice is actually pretty limited in NZ at moment. 

Another reel enjoy fishing with and bought very cheaply on hunting fishing sale table (something they seem to no longer do) was a Diawa Legalis 6000. It’s awesome, was little over $100 new. Goes very well on an old Starlo stick with PE2.
If could go back in time would put a new gold gs9 gold Diawa on it, never owned one but seemed to be a great reel. Watched few good surf fishos use em over the years, but always thought would be good big snapper bait reel from boat as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:16pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

yep Kandrew leaning towards a penn, favourite for longtime 650ss old American made spinfisher. Also have penn fierce 800 series non bait runner. Both are great even more recent one is seemingly indestructible. But this is not a penn advert and respect smudges thunnus recommendation.. don’t know as much about them. Had early shimano bait runners but they all broke down eventually whereas the spinfishers are all still taking big fish. Never really been a bait runner fan. But a lot of new reels with good drag can’t be made to fish light drag required for wary fish taking bait, unless have bait runner function. Also want something 6000 to 8000 size. Plus I am a scrouge. Although did deliver 4 bottles nice chardonay to brother tonight for rod, only probably equates to 3 bottles as would of drank a bottle of his last night. Would have bought rod for $65 in garage sale had I seen it, so fair.
Will have a think, have plenty of gear to take tomorrow but hate seeing good rod in one of racks without a nice fitting reel on it. Reel choice is actually pretty limited in NZ at moment. Another reel enjoy fishing with and bought very cheaply on hunting fishing sale table ( something they seem to no longer do) was a Diawa Legalis 6000. It’s awesome, was little over $100 new. Goes very well on an old Starlo stick with PE2.
If could go back in time would put a new gold gs9 gold Diawa on it, never owned one but seemed to be a great reel. Watched few good surf fishos use em over the years, but always thought would be good big snapper bait reel from boat as well.

Yea fair enough, I’ve got a bit of everything shimano Penn diawa Abu even a Okuma 8000 spin reel for stickbaits. Like them all but I tend to buy a reel because of the way it feels and looks.

I’ve got a shimano D series baitrunner 4000D and it’s a awesome little reel can’t fault it at all, so maybe a larger model might be better for you.

I’ve got a spinfisher 8500 liveliner I have been using for live baiting kingies but even with the liveliner drag set real low I still get kings that drop the bait because I recon they can feel the drag.

I used to livebait with a spinning reel, bail arm open and I ran the line back through a plastic release clip like this, didn’t get as many dropped fish. Might set it up on one of my stick bait rods.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1954914781/Downrigger-fishing-quick-release-clips.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:27pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah the newish penn I like is actually not penn fierce 8000 it actually a penn fierce 2 serries 6000 size most of writing has worn off. It pretty much stopped 35lb plus king the other day in it tracks from anchored boat, has pe 3 braid on it after took a sight fished piper. Man it’s strong reel, never felt under gunned.
Is on a 10-15kg cheap finor lethal rod out of special bin. Reel got off Greg/Gofish for $120, Rod from H&F was $60 probably why have 10kg spin and 12 kg overhead as well. We’re that cheap couldn’t pass em by and turned out to be awesome rods. Would put em up against anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 10:09am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Re: Shimano 6000 vs 8000 reels. I believe the reel is the same size, but the spool is deeper on the 8000. This is either annoying when you find one filler spool of braid isn't enough on the 8000, or a bonus when you're trying to cram as much line on as possible.

I have an irrational dislike of non-Shimano "Baitrunner" reels going back to the early days when the copies were pretty rubbish. Maybe this isn't the case anymore.

I highly rate the Penn Slammers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 5:52pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just spotted this on TM not a diawa gold but still got a few fish left in it.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/sports/fishing/salt-water/boat-reels/listing/3434290518

Should buy it myself but I’m looking for a narrow lever drag for sliders
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 9:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes Kandrew thanks seen that and tempting. Might go for another later model penn 6000 penn fierce though. Daughter hooked up. 100kg plus bronze whaler this morning on our old fierce and was on it for over 10 minutes from anchored boat, shark did one very spectacular leap. Reel handled it superbly, even with several 100 meter runs. Eventually managed to wear or bite through trace. But reel still smooth as afterwards.
Mate just dropped round to show me his new penn clash 5000, very nice reel but at $350 quite a lot more than I am looking to pay. Also want 6000 size for 20lb mono line or pe 3 braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok so this is what we went with. Was all in for another fierce but when wandered in to marine deals late this afternoon was immediately drawn to the old spinfisher black and gold colours and couldn’t resist. Time will tell .. maybe 20 years will be able to tell if as good as near old 30 year predecessors I still fish with.
30lb braid 150 meters on 20lb nylon backing to stop big snappers and kings. Although unlikely to catch many in the lounge.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:53pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks good, well matched to rod. Glad I don't live close to Marine deals, they take enough of my money LOL

I own the same reel in 2500 size, closer to 4000 in any other manufacturer's currency. Haven't used it much, but no complaints. I had pretensions to a heavy softbait outfit, but it always gets left in the garage as the lighter gear is much more fun to use.