MPI: Fishing regulations change consultation

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 7:06pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty sure 35+ years ago that there was no minimum size.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 7:48pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=Alan L]I liked your list :-)
I will vote for you as next MoFisheries.
Couple of small items we need to discuss prior to tho.
Re an earlier from Sumdge re Kingi size limits,
I seem to recall them being 500mm previous to 750
Alan
[/QUOTE An increased minimum legal size (MLS) to 75 cm (from 65 cm) for recreationally caught kingfish was introduced on 15 January 2004. Kingfish were added to the 6th Schedule in October 2005 for all fishing methods except setnet and in all areas. 

Actually thought it went from 700 to 750,so my king back in 1993 was perfectly legal at 700,,only ever caught 1.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 7:51pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, 65 cm seems more likely - but my memory is sh.t these days.
The timeline seems about right.
I think you are right.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 12:32pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

10 Hook max on all kontikis, no set nets , increase Kingy size to 80 cm and 1 per person ( dont want to end up like the states were they catch baby fish)

Should also ban set nets and long lines from rec boats- why by a boat if you need to use a long line or net whats the point of fishing gear- learn to fish ---   

my views only( pulled a few set nets off the beach and burnt them, theres areas were lazy people stake them at low tide)

Nothing will change- the so called groups that represent the rec fisherman/members  should set there own rules and stand up.....
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 5:47pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like the idea of one kingfish per person, wouldn't mind seeing puka drop too.

Never understood the need for 25 hooks when your daily limits are much less.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 6:49pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Puka are scheduled to drop - if it all goes thru - 2 per person. Plenty.
Had puka for tea tonight.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 5:49am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Puka are scheduled to drop - if it all goes thru - 2 per person. Plenty.
Had puka for tea tonight.
Alan

I was under the impression that Hapuku had been dropped for FMA ares 1 & 2. Didnt Legasea also post up that this had been passed by MPI but as yet not gazetted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 6:51am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea post 18 October 2021
New changes regarding management of certain fisheries are now in effect following ministerial decisions made at the start of this month.
This includes changes for Hāpuku/Bass fisheries 1 & 2 (HPB 1 & HPB 2). HPB 1 spans the west and east coast of the upper North Island, and HPB 2 spans down the east coast from roughly around East Cape down to the bottom of the North Island.
In his latest decision, Minister David Parker noted the unanimous sustainability concern for HPB 1 & 2, and all submissions received supported catch reductions.
The Minister chose to set cautious TACs and allowances, reduced the TACCs to mitigate the potential sustainability risks, and added new regulations to control recreational harvest.
For HPB 1, the new TACC for these fisheries is now 140 tonnes (down from 480.8 tonnes), and a recreational tonnage of 58 tonnes has been set, with a daily catch limit of 2 per person per day.
For HPB 2, the new TACC for these fisheries is now 80 tonnes (down from 266.2 tonnes), and a recreational tonnage of 38 tonnes has been set, with a daily catch limit of 2 per person per day.
We supported the Minister in reducing the TACC in HPB 1 & 2, and to set aside a recreational allowance to ensure hāpuku and bass are taken as bycatch only in the commercial and non-commercial fisheries.
But we’re not done talking about hāpuku and bass. We’re concerned a TACC of 140 t for HPB 1 is still too high to ensure a bycatch only commercial fishery. Our LegaSea Hawkes Bay team has been expressing concerns about population declines to the Ministry for many years.
In the coming months, the New Zealand Sport Fishing Council Inc will release a hāpuku and bass policy refining our stance on the sustainability of these species. Keep your eyes peeled!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 9:39am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Craig - as far as the HPB 7/8, the proposal is 2 Puka per person, aggregate of 3. Think same applied to areas 1&2.
The HPB 7/8schedule is due to operate if approved) Oct '22.
I am guessing the same applies to 1&2 - unless already operating? Don't think so. I recall I checked the regs before last puka fish in Dec, and same old regs were on their website.
Regards
Alan 

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 11:09am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 11:18am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That was taken from the ministers letter announcing the decisions made in last Septembers fisheries review.  The whole thing can be found here

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 12:41pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Kevin S.
So now it gets really confusing. According to that link the new limits for Puka are in effect as of Oct 21.- Ministers letter.
So I check the MPI website now, and they are still the same old rules.
Maybe I can't read right.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 4:04pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Thanks Kevin S.
So now it gets really confusing. According to that link the new limits for Puka are in effect as of Oct 21.- Ministers letter.
So I check the MPI website now, and they are still the same old rules.
Maybe I can't read right.
Alan

Kia ora Craig.
Thanks for reaching out to us. The recreational daily limit for hāpuku and bass in Quota Management Areas HPB 1 & HPB 2 is still 5 per fisher. Following a review of the science and a public consultation, we’re in the process of reducing the recreational daily catch limit from 5 to 2.

So how long does it take to make changes to regulations. Depending on which social media site you view, they would have you beileve that these changes are already in place, eg Legasea page. Even the ministers own letter suggests the changes were to be in effect last October
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 5:28pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - what do you go by - the Ministers letter stating the changes are effective as of Oct '21, or the MPI website?
Either way, in court you would be safe on the old limits.
But basically a complete stuff up.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12