Special Needs Charter Suggestions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special Needs Charter Suggestions
    Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:19pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi,

Any recommendations for Auckland fishing charters for special needs pls? Am thinking a half day.
And thoughts/suggestions from people who have supported are welcome as well (e.g. should he just take the electric wheelchair incase gets tired - how long should we go out)

My father in law was hit by a car at a level crossing almost 2 years to the day ago.

He is now an incomplete tetraplegic which means he can walk with a walker and has 24x7 carer assistance.

Prior to the accident we went fishing on my small boat 4.4m fibreglass and he wants to get out on the water again.

Seriously considered options for my boat including getting extra people for getting on and off including swimming/walking on a sandy beach back in! My concern is about getting out and the big step required out of the boat onto the pontoon where i launch.

So looking for a walk on walk off solution that has a gang plank or similar.

Thanks in advance.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have fished with people in a similar situation. One was on a charter aboard Diversity back in the day with Graeme Sinclair. He told us what to do and how to do it but he's literally done that 100's of times.

I have a friend who is a quadriplegic and he is a real achiever. He's a mouth and foot artist and an ex Wheel Blacks coach. He has shot for NZ in the Special Olympics - he's done a lot of stuff. He also works as a motivational speaker.

He has his own boat, a 5.5m jobbie. He drives a VW custom van with a wheelchair lift. He is fiercely independent. He uses an electric reel and It's pretty much a full time job looking after him. It take three of us to load him on the boat.

He wheels down the pontoon, we put a 90 litre chilly bin sideways inside the boat. One guy on the back of the wheel chair and two in the cockpit controlling operations from there. Basically we put the big wheels onto the chilly bin and step it down from there. Then we strap his chair into a corner and we're away! 

We only need two able bodied on the boat but 3 at the ramp at both ends of the journey and he needs a hand with filleting etc.

I know that's not what you're asking about but the moral of the story I guess is to get a charter that has dealt with that before. On board Diversity we had to lift the angler over the handrail which took four of us on each side from memory. I wouldn't like to do all that stuff on a rough day but yeah it can work and trust me, these guys abolutely enjoy every moment of it.

Having put my friend Grant onto a couple of PB's was awesome.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 10:40pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

https://www.wish4fish.co.nz/ Tauranga based. It would be a big day, but not unreasonable to drive both ways in a day (we do it often enough in reverse).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:16pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Smudge.

Your mate sounds like inspirational.
Pop has his own electric chair and purpose built car to take it. He cant drive it himself but is mobile enough.

Will check out Diversity.

Thanks again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:17pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Skoolinfish.

It is a big day and likely will choose someone closer to home but if we happen that way will keep them in mind.

Thanks again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 2:08pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Hookedline&sinker Hookedline&sinker wrote:

Thanks Smudge.

Your mate sounds like inspirational.
Pop has his own electric chair and purpose built car to take it. He cant drive it himself but is mobile enough.

Will check out Diversity.

Thanks again.

Am fairly certain Diversity ceased operation several years ago.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 2:35pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With Diversity the ownership changed, Damo sold, but thought it was still operating out of GH? 

Being a cat it was certainly more stable.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 4:06pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fishful Thinking Fishful Thinking wrote:

With Diversity the ownership changed, Damo sold, but thought it was still operating out of GH? 

Being a cat it was certainly more stable.

Yes Damo sold the charter operation & went back to running the gym at Manly which now appears to be a fishing gear franchise ... not sure if the gym still operates at the rear.

Years ago Diversity was a regular sight going in or out from charter expeditions but have not sighted it for several years now or at its'marina berth for that matter ... likewise any signage ... so would be ultra surprised if the business is still running.

Damo used to put up very useful reports on this forum as well but a long time since we have seen any.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 4:19pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Last heard of on the forum 2011

A charter business under the Diversity name is listed as operating
in Aus in the Kimberly region ... so maybe is the same boat & was sold offshore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:11pm
Silver
Silver

Noted thanks Bazza and Fishful Thinking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 9:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes sorry Diversity has been out of operation for a long time now
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 10:54pm
Silver
Silver

No worries smudge. will keep looking around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:23am
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/shoreboyz-christmas-charter_topic96466.html

Diversity group all right, back in the days you didn't have to worry about banter and no puritan fishermen who lost their sense of humour with their bait. Fun times. Hard to believe it was that long ago.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 3:05pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hookedline&sinker Hookedline&sinker wrote:

No worries smudge. will keep looking around.
might be worth a try,catamaran out of KawaKawa Bay Auckland

021 261 3781

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 5:48pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks PCJ