Surfcasting Lures? Or Softbait?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lrs96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surfcasting Lures? Or Softbait?
    Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 9:56pm
Lrs96 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys - looking to move away from traditional baits and looking to get lures or soft baits for surf casting.

What do you think does anyone have experience with this?

Would I be required to work the soft baits in or slow retrieve etc

Is it feasible to let them hang out there in the surf?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 7:12pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not sure if this is related to your question on the softbaiting forum, but it's an interesting one in its own right.
Softbaiting in surf is fairly common in the US (for stripers etc) and in Australia, but hasn't been widely practised here that I'm aware of.
I've seen the odd social media post about it.

But there's every reason to think kahawai, trevally, gurnard and maybe snapper, would be suckers for softbaits in the surf environment. Possibly an untapped resource, just need to put in the time and effort at the right time of day, and in the right places.

Judging from your other post, I'm guessing you don't have any softbait gear at the moment. You'd probably need to use a particularly long rod suitable for casting say 0.5oz jigheads a fair distance, and lightish braid.
I have a 9ft Shimano Raider 7-45g lure weight travel rod picked up in Australia to fish lures for tailor in the surf over there, that I have sometimes considered trying softbaiting or small metal casting in the surf with here - just haven't really had the right opportunity.

I did try attaching a curly tail softbait to one hook of a ledger rig when surfcasting in the Far North over sand, but had no luck on it. Having said that, I only got one bite that morning - a 9lb snap on the half pillie on the other hook - so it was tough fishing to try the softbait in.

I think fishing a softbait set up with a small curly tail softbait in something like New Penny colour (trundled slowly) and a paddle tail in a baitfish colour (retrieved a bit faster), would be successful.
As with any surfcasting, finding deeper gutters and channels would be the way to go, rather than casting into heavy breaking waves.

If you have success, let us know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 9:50pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As appealing as it sounds to cast softies off the beach, I think metal jigs are the way to go. Traditional hex wobblers for kahawai and slow pitch jigs bounced off the bottom for snapper. The reason I say this is that metal casts further. Something around 40-60g would be my choice. A matching 9 - 11 foot rod would be ideal, although I imagine the upper end of that scale would be hard to find in NZ. I've had limited success with this approach, but can't say I've tried too hard. 

I'm sure softies would work too if you can get them under the fish's nose, but again, I'd be looking at heavier weight jig heads, 28-56g. The new Bleeder jig heads in 2oz with a 7 inch Zman would be a nice combination for this kind of thing. 

I don't think hanging softies on bait rigs would be too successful with the possible exception of Gulp on a good day, but real bait would be better.

Regardless of the approach, I think the fundamental problem with land based lure fishing is feeling reasonably confident that you are getting lures to the fish. On a boat, it's easy with fish finders and being able to move around from spot to spot. Bait fishing from shore is different since the fish will come to the bait. With lure fishing, it's easy to get disheartened, but what a cool way to catch fish if you can do it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 10:35pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe a bigger bait like a slugo or 7in gulp rigged on a dropper rig cast out and slowly worked in with a long jerking type retrieve.

You will need to use a large worm hook to rig the bait on.

A better option would be a 60 or 100 gram micro jig like this casted out on the sand and slowly retrieved. Orange is a good colour.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/edge-free-fall-jigs