Vacuum packing fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum packing fish
    Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:55am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bought an Innovation vacuum sealer a couple of years ago and it works well but found the fillets were a bit dried out.
Last month I processed a batch of snapper and there was an issue as a full vacuum wasn't happening. I found that I'd managed to have the power cable sit on top the rubber seal and created a dent so not sucking properly. I bagged several meals with a small amount of air
But, when I opened a bag yesterday, the fish were way better than usual with no juice in the bag - it all stayed in the fish and way way nicer.
Does everyone use the full vacuum or just seal? Or use the 'Delicate' setting?

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 9:23am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I purchased one last year and I must say the results are great, pull the fish out of the freezer 12 months later and still fresh. I cut my own bags, seal one end first, pack the fish, pull a vac and then seal once all the air has been removed.
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:02am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

I bought an Innovation vacuum sealer a couple of years ago and it works well but found the fillets were a bit dried out.
Last month I processed a batch of snapper and there was an issue as a full vacuum wasn't happening. I found that I'd managed to have the power cable sit on top the rubber seal and created a dent so not sucking properly. I bagged several meals with a small amount of air
But, when I opened a bag yesterday, the fish were way better than usual with no juice in the bag - it all stayed in the fish and way way nicer.
Does everyone use the full vacuum or just seal? Or use the 'Delicate' setting?

I had similar experience Boby with a budget priced unit from Supercheap Boby ... worked reasonably well until it gave up the ghost.

Have replaced it with an ultra affordable "Living & Giving"  from the Warehouse that the plastic bag of sealing rolls are not only well priced but seem to be considerably heavier than most.

On the downside they seem to be slower on the air extraction cycle & a bit of experimenting is required to make it 100% effective, plus the instruction manual is a tad less than totally helpful.

You are welcome to borrow mine to try if you want to see if it works well enough for you.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:43am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am very happy with mine - but have been using the 'gentle' and 'moist' settings. I guess this pulls less vacuum - but could not tell by looking.
But you observation has to hold some water (pardon pun). You are sucking a vacuum, and that pulls a lot of the free liquid with it. So you are drying the product out as you go. Water boils at 100 deg. But only at atmos pressure. Lower the pressure and it boils earlier. Pulling a vacuum is basically achieving something along those lines.
So you are probably correct - a less vigorous or partial vacuum probably leaves the fish more moist.
The trick might be to try and regulate that.
Some people on the forum here have reported good results just by dunking a ziplock bag of fish in a bucket of water and sealing.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:21am
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try taking the fillets and dipping in salt water. Place in freezer on baking paper on an oven tray or similar. One layer thick they "flash freeze". Once solid, off paper, into bag, vacuum and into freezer. Vacuum doesn't squeeze the fish etc., just modifies the atmosphere and improves keeping qualities.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jeff9305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 2:55pm
Jeff9305 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Once frozen fish has been defrosted, put it in bag with a bit of milk for 1/2 to 1 hour before cooking. Milk rehydrates the fish and gives it the freshness of newly caught fish.
Jeff 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:21pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a Russell Hobbs one for about 6 years now. Always done a good job sealing
I use the "wet" (or moist?) option and "turbo".
Have never had a problem with fish quality and always date the packs before freezing. Found one pack a while ago that was nearly 2 year old terakihi, came out just like fresh.
Also, I never wash fillets before packing, just a quick rinse after defrosting.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:34pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

I have a Russell Hobbs one for about 6 years now. Always done a good job sealing
I use the "wet" (or moist?) option and "turbo".
Have never had a problem with fish quality and always date the packs before freezing. Found one pack a while ago that was nearly 2 year old terakihi, came out just like fresh.
Also, I never wash fillets before packing, just a quick rinse after defrosting.

I could have written that post word for word, that's my experience too, but I don't rinse after defrosting.

Personally, I find the drier the better (within reason) when it comes to storing fish. I've taken this to dry ageing everything for 24 hours before freezing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:08pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couple of weeks ago I opened a pack of gurnard from last July.
It wasn't great - bit dry. Ate it. But had a 2nd pack I chose to use for burley.
I have had stuff at 3 mths that tastes great.
The gurnard had a lot of liquid in the bag after defrosting. Somewhere along the way it lost that moisture. Maybe the freeze/thaw?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:42pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishful Thinking Fishful Thinking wrote:

Try taking the fillets and dipping in salt water. Place in freezer on baking paper on an oven tray or similar. One layer thick they "flash freeze". Once solid, off paper, into bag, vacuum and into freezer. Vacuum doesn't squeeze the fish etc., just modifies the atmosphere and improves keeping qualities.

i learned this from Tony Bishop when he had Just Fishing in Newmarket - seems like a 100years ago now... !
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 11:14am
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BH, was 30 years ago I first walked in there from memory. Still got his book. Good team of fishos staffing the place.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 5:37pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

imho, if i would hv any air in vacuum bag i would resealed. Having air in vacuum bag is with fresh or even cook produce is like ..... would you like mild or severe food poisoning !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 7:12pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

imho, if i would hv any air in vacuum bag i would resealed. Having air in vacuum bag is with fresh or even cook produce is like ..... would you like mild or severe food poisoning !!!
The food is frozen - don't forget.
Then cooked.
Not incubated.
Alan
Legasea Legend member