Minn kota Installs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minn kota Installs
    Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 3:22pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any one installed one of these on a 7m boat ?

Costs specials items ie batteries etc?
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 3:36pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Call Fishing Boats NZ http://www.fishingboatsnz.co.nz .
Speek to Rhys Sutton, i'm sure he will be able to answered all questions on options and installing ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 3:54pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 4:40pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - have a mate with a 7m Surtees and Minkota. Works fine. Yes - you will send some time and $s sorting batteries. it mat be a bit over 7m, but not 8m.
My mates big regret is getting the shorter shaft option. Yes - in theory it is long enough for the boat - sits about 300mm under water. Enough. Except when fishing in a chop and it keeps coming up out of the water.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 5:06pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On a boat that size or for any minnkota install, in fact any electric be prepared to spend the dollars.
It will pay off.

Get the largest thrust, for you I think that's the 130lb.
Longest shaft.
Remote system.
Largest high quality power cable on the shortes distance, which means battery position.
Use lithium batteries, that's an ouch number as you will see.
Use lithium for ease of positing, size and weight advantages there and they can generally handle the pounding being further up the hull to bow.
Have a good power system charge from your motor, generator, solar. One or all three.
And a good landbas charging point that's easy to use.
And a good security lock system that allows you to remove if required back home.

That's my starters for ten.

Oh and, they are the bees knees for a fisherman.
Unless you buy a outboard motor which can simulate everything but the noise level.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 5:36pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Guys,, another mate who is a keen boaty / fisho priced on up for his Tristram and I think he said it was bout 19k, does this sound right? He also said batteries and charging system were the killerConfused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 5:39pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is a how long is a piece of string equation - as Mattoo has outlined.
What grade batteries, what voltage motor, how many batteries, auto deploy or manual etc etc. You can see how this story goes.
I believe there is a cheaper version of same out now - a guy at our beach just installed one. Don't know any details.
Alan
Edit - my guess would be $19k is getting up towards the top end.
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 5:47pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another possibly silly question, what about Yamahas Helm master as our rig has a digital throttle Yammy on it, I understand it wouldn't be as quiet but batteries wouldn't be an issue..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 5:50pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It will need at least 36volts to drive it, don’t forget to add the weight of the minn kota, batteries, charger and accessories to your total boat weight including gear, people, fuel when working out motor size needed.

I would also go for a onboard AC charging system, then you can plug it in no matter where you are.

But yes I would think ball park 15 to 20k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 5:52pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Kandrew
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 5:54pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tjm.
You've answered your own question.

Advantage, less gear to maintain.
Less theft chances.

Evinrudes was the best tool for twin motors.

Noise is your issue, only if your shallow hunting.

Price, probably higher than the full minnkota package.

I recently priced one for myself.
It was an ouch.

Lots to take in eh.

Time is on your side.

Reflect, study.

Keeping asking questions.

Try to get on some boats with those tools.

Hands experience is the best learning environment.

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 5:58pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks again, yeh nice to have but the costs for either set up are high
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:21pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For what its worth I have a 12v model powered by a 130ah AGM battery bought from the solar power companies that's still going strong after 3.5 years of regular use. From memory it was around $300. It is also charges from the outboard using a VSR switch. The original wet cell only lasted 1.5 years.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 8:38am
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My dad has one on him 7.5m Surtees hardtop. Don't know total cost but it has revolutionised him fishing. They are spendy but you won't regret in the long run.
Only advice would be to get a manual deploy if you can, the auto deploy seems to have a few issues.