In The Line of Fire.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In The Line of Fire.
    Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 7:28pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The title to one of my all time favourite Clint Eastwood movies may be pushing it however....
At 6am this morning I was the third car in the carpark at the Awahou Stream. Getting into my waders/boots I repeatedly heard the distinctive "ping" of an air rifle being fired. Took a few seconds to find it as it was more like a certain scene in Saving Private Ryan, the muzzle appeared between two pulled curtains from the house that overlooks the area anglers walk across to enter the lake, fired, then disappeared back into the house to be cocked and fired again, he appeared to be targetting waterbirds sitting on the stream at the time.AngryAngry
As I walked across the area to enter the lake I called out he should be careful about where he aims the weapon as anglers walked across his field of fire and with the narrow gap between the curtains he would have a very narrow view of the area.
I got the usual reply of "what you say?" what you say?" And an in your face confrontation with the "I'll do what I want its my land!"
I repeated what I said about where he was firing got the do what I want reply and we allow anglers across here so watch out! The gun had remained inside he had at least the sense to do that!
I walked away started fishing then is the idiot going to target my vehicle? 
He didnt and the firing stopped.
I'll call Eastern Fish and Game tomorrow about this and go from there, but personally a day in the Kingcountry is far more appealing than dealing with this sort of individual! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 8:07pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Unfortunately our beautiful country is not lacking in clowns. At least he settled down and didn't have a go at your car, so I guess your message got through.

I thought I'd heard F&G had relinquished angler access to that stream because of conflicts with the residents? Must have been another place.

Did you get any fish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 9:11pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There's no lack of fish stacked up in the cool water. Successful morning but an all the more enjoyable afternoon at the other mouth.
See what F and G says will post a reply.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 9:23am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Police are taking a hard line on guns at the moment. Just call them and say there is a guy with a gun who is behaving aggressively. AOS will be there in no time. I'd imagine they'd handcuff him at gunpoint and ask questions later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 10:43am
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I thought that and would certainly had gone to the Police if he came out with the weapon. Just talked with F and G Eastern and they are going to make inquiries about the individual who from the description was not someone they knew and certainly had no power to threaten angler access which from the signs and from the conversation was no one they know (who have the power to do so) has denied angler access to the stream mouth from the carpark.
Not planning on returning any time soon due mainly to the forecast southerly for the next week but I will have a camera next time and get some pics if he repeats his behaviour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 11:27am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Years ago motoring into Tutukaka (on a boat) and heard a ping,  then a second went passed me and hit her-in-doors.  Had to stop the boys on board from paying them a visit and the missus didn't need that either.
Thought long and hard about it but phoned the police the next day who made contact and they appeared in court.

And i would do it again,  could easily have been one of us without an eye, (or them if we did visit).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:31am
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wonder if the sniper has gone? Might just check in the next couple of days....Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:22pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by O'Neill O'Neill wrote:

Wonder if the sniper has gone? Might just check in the next couple of days....Wink

Grab a airgun and fire back.😃
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic