Few decent mahis from yesterday

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Few decent mahis from yesterday
    Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 11:21am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Took brother and sister in law out in their new boat for marlin fish yesterday. First time game fishing for them. I supplied rods and lures. We saw one marlin free jumping and few others hooked up. We came in early as fuel was limited but we managed to land couple of nice mahis off triple strike.
Also had a great light tackle session on saturday when swell was up in whangaruru harbour with some good snapper and trevally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow - awesome. Great looking fish.
What a way to start gamefishing.
How far north are you Shaneg?
Thats a good looking bull mahi. 15kg?
Alan
Edit - OK I see now - Whangaruru.
What water temps? 23?
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:32pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the update. Some top eating fish right there!
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:49pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Wow - awesome. Great looking fish.
What a way to start gamefishing.
How far north are you Shaneg?
Thats a good looking bull mahi. 15kg?
Alan
Edit - OK I see now - Whangaruru.
What water temps? 23?

Hi Alan just north of Cape Brett,  past a log in 200m, water temp 22.5 degrees. The Bull was about 13 kg on the boat‘s spring scales.
Cheers Grant, almost Tongan size ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 1:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a feeling they will be out gamefishing again very soon.
You better tell them not every day ends like that.
That log maybe drifting down my way?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 1:28pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done shane.Cant get any better eating than mahi.Good size too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 1:34pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They were sort of dissapointed I couldn’t conjure up a marlin. To be honest pleased we didn’t catch one. They were keen to take a marlin and share out with campers what couldn’t be handled by local bland bay smoker. Who I was unsure of capacity and availability to handle a marlin had we brought one in despite my brother in laws reassurances to me.Shocked
Anyway I actually can say I prefer a fried Mahi fillet on a molenberg sandwich, which have just had for my lunch, to smoked marlin. And there was already some quite nice smoked marlin in their fridge, donated by a neighbour few days ago.
As we came back to Auckland early this morning (left at 4am), bringing all our game gear back with us, until I return, I doubt they will out again after their first marlin for boat. 
Their boat is also now due for its 50 hour service and they also need to get better handle on their fuel usage/ capacity if going wide again.  The 200 litre tank was probably little over half full yesterday, maybe 120 litres,  and running big 200 four stroke yamhi on a 645 extreme, it certainly sucked a lot more than my 16 ft stabi and 60 hp suzuki over the  6 -7 hours we were out. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 2:10pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mahi beats marlin any day on a plate. One of the best eating fish around. And I'm not sure I would put marlin in that category.
I enjoy smoked marlin - but plenty of fish taste good if well smoked.
I had my first encounter with marlin steaks a few months ago in Vtu - local supermarket. Was the only fish available and I figured I should give it a try.
Would have done better eating my jandals. No wonder it was cheaper than most other fish when available.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 3:31pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It seems 2 posters dont like marlin.I thought it was just meBig smile

Well done on the MahiThumbs Up
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 3:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, that's a cool catch.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 7:01pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had marlin raw fish at the market in raro, superb
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:35pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Second that Tonto.the one we caught on Monday I put some aside fresh.had raw and part cooked with the usual sauces.was really good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don’t get me wrong would have loved a marlin bite yesterday and heard reel scream and in my virtual perfect world tagged it after spectacular fight and sent on its way. Just didn’t want to see one not being utilised in best possible way and sitting on a hot lawn with me trying to carve up. And yes smoked marlin is very nice and versatile in lots of dishes… on crackers, in fish dips, fish pies and yes have tried done in big piece unsmoked boller roasted. But hey fresh Mahi is better,  had it again, for tea tonight, fried fish again with roast tate’s and salad. Each to own all our palates are different. Wouldn’t mind trying marlin as sushimi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 3:15pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone heard of Mahi being caught in Hauraki Gulf?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 6:57pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never seen them in here or heard of them caught. But suspect few may stray into outer gulf, as in places like Mokes and across from there to great barrier. Is an area I only tow lures occasionally. Generally encountered near deeper water than we have in gulf.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:37pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You had me going with that posting Shaneg.
I am still looking for your last log.
I have seen smaller versions of mahi in 2m of water. I have seen and caught them (bigger versions) a few hundred m from shore.
But I doubt they will find the gulf to their liking - water too dirty.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan, do the Mahis stray as far south as Hawkes bay?
You do get odd big blue marlin off Hawkes Bay and I recall few mahis being caught on forums slightly further north off East cape/ Waihau recently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 11:34am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very rare - heard of one caught last yr.
But -.... 4 marlin caught a couple of days ago, and a mate lost a game rod/reel same day - to something he knows not what. (my guess was a blue).
So..........we live in hope that we may see some mahi this summer.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:34pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh well Alan with global warming and all this warm water this year let’s hope few more make it down there, early days. 
Very good mates of mine fish down there out of Napier. John & Coleen Payne, boat is big rayglass called Makaira. Used to be regular visitors to Tutukaka. Very good marlin fisher-people. Think Coleen has or had NZ womens record for bigeye.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would love to find your log down here. Any idea where it was heading and a description would help.
With the way things are going, we may well find a mahi down here soon.
Would have liked to be game fishing Sat/Sun. But my two Vtu gamefishing mates were otherwise occupied. One had the wifes birthday to tend to and was busy with brownie points. The other has taken his boat and is fishing out of Whakatane right now.
Waiting for the weather now - custard til near end of week.
Fingers crossed.
I am not that fussed chasing marlin - sorta over them. But my mates aren't - so will happily do it with them on board. But I will chase mahi all day long.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  12>