With age comes wisdom !

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: With age comes wisdom !
    Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 9:27pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

A wise old adage indeed, but in my case altho the old age component keeps on raging ahead out of control the wisdom bit seems to be taking a long time to kick in ... for instance :-

Many years ago I concluded via ill fated experiences it was NOT a good idea to combine more than one or two activities on any trip out in a boat ... things like bottom fishing, picnics, shellfish gathering, netting or set line etc. as attempting to do so is tempting fate for things to go wrong.

By & large have managed to adhere to this belief but on Wednesday here we were setting off on a trip with the intention of firstly setting a flounder net, gathering oysters, going ashore then bottom fishing before going to retrieve the net & worse still was dragging a fellow forum member along with me.

Must confess did have a premonitions of likely mishaps but managed to put them aside by convincing myself that my acquired old age wisdom would overcome any likely problems.

The decision to set a flounder net was prompted by a recent trip when we did so, only to wind the net up around the prop ... requiring Jimmy to climb out on the raised motor to release the tangle by cutting the nylon mesh to shreds. Segments of ropes, bouys etc, did not pose any threat to other boats or to any form of wildlife so we opted to leave things as they were & would clear away the remnants on our return. When we did pull up the shreds later were amazed to have caught 11 nice fat yellow bellied flounder albeit at the cost of a net which was binned so I went & brought a new one ... surely success would be guaranteed if we could keep it away from the prop.

So here we were about to try again but for some reason decided to check the mesh size only to find it did not seem to be legal 114 min so first quandary encountered. This is where Jimmy being a whizz kid on the phone managed to establish we were measuring it wrongly, so was all systems go again... there now just knew my new found wisdom would conquer all.

After setting the net without incident apart from one set of marker floats that presumably had not been firmly tied floated off on their own but they were easily retrieved.

SW winds were about 15 knts above forecast & something strange was happening possibly due to the winds racing across the Kaipara flats were influencing the tide flow & depths as much was back to front to what was expected ... consequently the oyster foray was abandoned when tide was unsuitable.  

So we went fishing instead with gratifying success but as conditions looked as tho they could turn unfriendly opted to call it a day & that was when things really started going wrong.

I was on anchor duty & having reached the chain was using the rapid rise & fall of the bow to help but was much faster than thought resulting in me hand being caught in the chain & being dragged thru the roller & bow rails.

Pic please Alan ..........

More to come yet which goes to show that when a wise old git fouls up we really make a good job of it !

To be cont
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 7:45am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 7:53am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Blimey Bazza! You dont do things in halves when it comes to lessons.

Hows the hand feelin today?? Fairly nasty lookin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:09am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ohhhh crikey, take it easy Bazza!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:10am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looks nasty Bazza!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 10:41am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza.did a simular thing off Rangi Lighthouse,4/5yr ago. Shackle on chain jammed in winch.Went to take pressure offchain and thats when it happened,sliced back of hand open .Stiches required etc. A day or 2 later took chain/warp in to anchor n chains shop and had it spliced,no more shackle no more jamming.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:05am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

That pic Spearo was taken about 3 hrs after the event therefore does not show the blood that had been spattered hither & thither after having been largely cleared up by repeated immersion in sea 
water & then wiped clean.

PS ... problems still occurring as up until now site would not allow me to stay logged in therefore have been prevented from continuing with the unwanted saga.

Where were we up to ... that's right on the way back to the ramp nursing a munched up hand bleeding profusely but with plenty of time to spare .. what else could possibly go wrong .. we were about to find out when the first fuel tank ran dry &l a speedy switch over to the second was hindered by open wounds being sprayed with petrol, not a recommended activity I can tell ybut So when it came to pumping up the fuel line took Jimmys' offer to do take care of it however not being familiar with the process possibly pumped too hard ( no way his fault ) but in any event seemed as tho the carbs were flooded, so  motor would not fire begging the question of just how long the starter battery power would last with repeated attempts.

The Kaipara is not the ideal place to be stuck out on so after an hour or so wisdom prevailed & decision was made to contact the coast guard to report a possible distress situation, particularly as a short angry chop from the worst direction making  things rather uncomfortable rocking rapidly back & forth sideways. Was about then Jimmy began to feel queezy but suspect the splattered blood could have contributed as much as the movement. Therefore it was all the more remarkable he managed to contact the coastguard on his phone & outline the situation handing the phone to me as required to give position etc. Gave the required details such as POB
position, problem etc but was not until asked if anyone on board was injured that I remembered my hand but that seemed to clinch the decision that they would send albeit from Helensville which would probably take quite some time & was a falling tide, approaching low & yet remained a 6 or 700 mtrs of less of 75 cm depth to navigate to return to the ramp.

To be cont .... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:09am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Bazza.did a simular thing off Rangi Lighthouse,4/5yr ago. Shackle on chain jammed in winch.Went to take pressure offchain and thats when it happened,sliced back of hand open .Stiches required etc. A day or 2 later took chain/warp in to anchor n chains shop and had it spliced,no more shackle no more jamming.

Could look into doing likewise Paul but no rush as still have seven
fingers left, as well as a full complement of toes ! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:37am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Remind me not to get old and wise Shocked

Jeez, hope you get on the mend mate - looks horrible.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 12:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Cont ...

So here we were going nowhere, help on the way but not sure when, hopefully before dark plus the problem of retrieving the net .. could hardly expect the CG to assist with that .. was then that the reserves of wisdom came into play on remembering a mate with a boat lived about 8 kms from the ramp .Jimmy to the rescue once more & he said would be therefor when we  were towed in ... a massive favour indeed.

Was about then the wisdom factor jumped into gear once again by choosing to wave down a returning boat ... not that they could be expected to help other than perhaps be aware of the situation if need be even tho they were returning to a different ramp.

HOWEVER it proved to be a break thru as the guy seemed well versed with outboards & after explaining the problem & we were awaiting the  CG he confirmed the carbs as we guessed had probably been flooded & would likely take quite awhile to clear so suggested we try ( THIS IMO IS A HANDY TIP ALL OB OWNERS SHOULD BE AWARE OF) raising the motor fully, leave for a couple of minutes which should drain the carbs, lower the motor, pump ONCE ONLY then try starting ... whaddauno ... motor instantly fired into life & we could not thank him enough .. only wish we had noted the name of his boat, wisdom is one thing memory is another, maybe Jimmy with the benefit of youth will remember.

A call to the CG to advise them accordingly & we were on our way again, managed to retrieve the net without incident .. were suitably
surprised to discover we had a haul of near 30 kgs ..... unfortunately comprising mostly of twigs, branches, shells mangrove berries etc & four flounder ... nevertheless had over a doz snaps as well to reward Lloyd or others that had given assistance.
< width="260" height="165" id="colourPalette" ="https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/s/RTE__colour_palette.asp" border="0" scrolling="no" style="-sizing: border-; visibility: ; : ; left: 0px; top: 0px;">< width="130" height="140" id="font" ="https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/s/RTE___font.asp" border="0" scrolling="no" style="-sizing: border-; visibility: ; : ; left: 0px; top: 0px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb0, 0, 0;">< width="66" height="235" id="textSize" ="https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/s/RTE___size.asp" border="0" scrolling="no" style="-sizing: border-; visibility: ; : ; left: 0px; top: 0px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb0, 0, 0;">
CutCopyPastePaste From Word Insert HyperlinkInsert Image Insert MovieSpecial CharactersEmoticons Ordered ListUnordered ListOutdentIndent
FontSize BoldItalicUnderline Strike Through Left JustifyCentre JustifyRight Justify Text Colour
Would like to be able to say that was the end of the sorry saga but NO ... next morning was taking the remaining share of the catch from the large chilly bin being kept overnight on ice when a gust of wind lid slammed the heavy lid down on my fingers ... no prizes for guessing which ones ... suffice to say was even more painful than the original mishap !!!!!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 1:21pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza Thats a very handy tip for a flooded motor.Thumbs Up 
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 3:15pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Yup, used to be the winch man on a friends launch. Not anautomatic anchor set up. Just about every time you had to time the shackle through the winch or stop lifting, twist the shackle and continue. Had some interseting times/experiences. Especially when rough. Luckily never suffered much more than pinched skin. Friend discovered splicing. Had it done professionally and never looked back. Would recommend it to everyone. Thumbs Up
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 3:33pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza - that hand looks like it could use some stitches.
Is Dorothy up to it?
And to think I agreed to go fishing with you once.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 5:35pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

[QUOTE=Alan L]Bazza - that hand looks like it could use some stitches.

Is Dorothy up to it?

And to think I agreed to go fishing with you once.

Alan if I had stitches for every injury sustained would end up covered in more thread than skin ... besides I heal very quickly ... a fact I attribute to clean living & a saint like existence.

The current injuries will be all but disappeared within a week .... will post a pic to prove it ... & no will not simply change hands as that would be an unworthy act by a wise old saint !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 3:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Is exactly a week since the injury & when I said would post a pic to show how effective self administered healing process is. Have sent Alan the pic & he will kindly post it on my behalf ... pretty sure the little pinkie is broken as is in permanent "come here" mode but everything else seems to be doing well. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 3:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 5:48pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bazza you are an inspiration to me. No one sitting on the couch at home has injured their finger but they don't have the enjoyment you have on a regular basis. Go hard fella
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 6:13pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yep, Tonto, I'd go with that.
Bazza is still out there doing it at an age where many would be cooped relying on their failing memories.
Making mistakes & learning from them indicates forward motion.
go bazza
Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 6:19pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ahhh. Butcan Bazza remember the mistakes?
This is not the first hand injury posted in the last few months.
Maybe it is better he doesn't remember.
Go Bazza. Don't look back.
Got my 70th in a few days - hopefully going strong like you in the next decade. Planning on it.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 9:03pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Thanx guys for your  kind comments as makes me feel a tad less of a complete geriatric idiot.
Page  12>