boat flips Tairua

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat flips Tairua
    Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 6:44pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 6:46pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not funny that its happened but an old mate was telling us about the last 45 years and the xmas time fiascos he's seen on this bar so not surprised actually. Hopefully all concerned will recover, the boat was up righted by by standers apparently
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 6:53pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3 in starship and by all accounts no lifejackets seen.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:11pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The attached article relates to the incident 2 days ago.
Yesterday I wouldn't have bothered getting the boat wet - the bar was impassable in my humble opinion.
What happened today was the worst incident I've seen on the bar. Its to early draw any conclusions, as the bar was quite passable if you had the right boat with the right experience. I've heard various pieces of speculation re going to the aid of a kayaker but I guess that will come out in the wash.
Regardless, bludy sad.
Big ups to the crews of the 3 choppas and 10 or so others emergency appliances who attended.
One comment to end my rant - and based on my observations of the last 45 years. Just because people tow their boat to the beach - its not a hanging offence if you don't put it in the water. Is it worth risking the safety of your friends and family for a feed of fish.
Normal transmission resumed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 12:19am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

turned away plenty of times, but pushed it just as much, scary but successfully. Know your measure but as i get older…yeah nah. Love the fury and chaos still and being the only trailer at the ramp but life is worth a little more today than 10 years ago I reckon. Less fun t 
I’ve but I still live

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 8:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

off shore breeze had picked up..
tide outgoing and below 1m.. last 1/4 outgoing.
A building  1.25 -1.5 swell
Bar is silting up a
... and the swell breaking across the bar.

Then we can throw in the cctv cameras to observe what has been happening out there for last few hrs or so...

And similar for the incident around the cnr few days before.

Most properly also assume a huge factor would be under powered to plough thru effectively , or if over 1st  high break..get to the next break before that breaks... or able to sit comfortably on the back of a break on the way in.

Are these incidences when boiled back to basics, about skippers' choice, which seems, again unprepared if proverbial hits the fan, to go over a section of water that sensible ppl would not go over at that point in time?

That comes back to dangerous choices by dangerous skippers to be there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 9:42am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 12:19pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i'm up in Northland and you can see how poor decisions can result in problems, if things go wrong.

Two days ago at Matapouri there was a massive easterly swell rolling in - presumably related to the storm off the Australian coast causing huge surf on the Gold Coast.
It was making the beach marginal for swimming in the surf, even for experienced swimmers, and dangerous for children. 

Yet a group of chunky guys went past me with dive catch bags and not much else, obviously aiming to collect whatever amid swells thumping on to the rocky coast.

And worse than that, a ute was backing an old tinny - about 13ft Fyran or similar lightweight build - down to the estuary, rods in the holders etc. I was thinking 'surely they aren't considering going out?'.

We left shortly after, so i didn't see what they did. Hopefully common sense prevailed. Because even with no actual bar like the one at Tairua etc, the huge waves breaking as they tried to exit the horseshoe bay would have surely wiped them out, and it was way too choppy for a boat of that size out in the open coast.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 4:53pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think this quote from Water Safety New Zealand chief executive Daniel Gerrard regarding the number of water deaths over the Christmas break sums it up well.  "A common theme in these drownings was people underestimating the conditions and overestimating their ability".  That's quite a deadly combination.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 5:08pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Always sad to see accidents happen where kids are on board.

Been a large increase in boat sales so there must be a lot of new novice skippers out there and with all the lockdowns I suppose the CG hasn’t been able to run its training courses.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 5:11pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 8:58pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"A common theme in these drownings was people underestimating the conditions and overestimating their ability".

Yes read that as well...struck me as very appropriate.
Puts the end  responsibility straight back on ppl.
Sure things can turn to crap real quick when condition good.. and thats the choice to prepare with life jackets etc .
 And then Coast Guard / police come out with statements like  "good outcome because prepared, wearing correct lifejackets.." sort of statements
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 10:07pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heard on Three news, they and a jet skier were ready to be retreived when two kayakers were seen in destress at the bar. 
They and the jet ski were asked to go out and assist the two kayaks.
The tragedy unfolded from there.
My old grandfather used to say "no good deed goes unpunished" and he has been right on many occasions.
This being yet another unfortunate and distressing example.
My sympathy to all involved except perhaps the kayakers who I suspect should be feeling a bit of remorse today.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 9:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They and the jet ski were asked to go out and assist the two kayaks

Yeah read that... makes me think..
I have my young grandchildren on board.... would look at dropping them off near by..espec if dont have the power on the back for such conditions.
And if dont, have they full jackets with crotch straps..

Should one do a resuce into conditions not eqiped experianced ?
Then throw in the drowning stata of those that die doing so?.. let alone doing so ill equipped in such a manner pretty sure thing you/ your childen will join those stats..

Some big questions..

Sort of the same as  "hey they are stuck on a clift face.. heres  a rope"    and one doesnt know how to tie a bowline let alone an alpine butter fly and never absailed, and in jandels.

Bit more non media, detailed background info of events needed to make a judgement in this situation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:00pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey steps you seem like a very knowledgeable guy but I think you should pull ya head in and think about these poor families before firing off about under powered boats etc, unless you were there might be good to keep ya thoughts to ya self.

I've been involved in few incidences like this ex coastguard 10 years. And from what I've seen the media generally doesn't have a farking clue what's going on and will print any **** to get the story out.

I'd say most people would rush to help someone in trouble and in this case the poor guy has paid the ultimate price, I'm sure he didn't go back out with the grandkids etc in tow without thinking about it first.

Rant over.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:39pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rant yep that would describe it.
 I have had to drag bodies over rocks on a bar.. Just a few months ago I was inside an upturned ute, crawling around in the broken glass ion shorts and bare hands getting a guy out after not just a accident but another person beating the crap out of him while upside down still with seat belt on..
AQnd can go on about a few more over my 70 odd yrs..

Dont come to me thaT I should be I should bury the reality of sympathy to the famly..
 I value famly far more dearly than most, my children , my grandchildren... espec since I had buried ALL my family grandparent down before being an adult...

My heart goes out to them in a very intense way..most probelry more than most..
Even further, heart goes out to all those families of the future...espec where injury, death should have been avoided, including the death of those who try to play hero without due thought.
 Taking children on a rescue mission such as tthis in those conditions, most properly inexperience (would have to be to endanger children..

And thing is all this stuff come out at coronors injest and maritime investigations....no sympathy just whay happened and why...
But know one reads them, months later we just have the next and next incidence roll over yer after year because everyone has to be so damn PC..

Another just up the road from us, they have just called the search off for the body for the night...happened right in front of his wife and child...

Nah it as not PC to say "  that activity should have at least a inflatable life jacket, espec on isolated beach just on sundown"

And maybe read my post in that light.. and I suggest read not skim..you will find what you say I stated I didnt.

I totally agree about the media...
 Under powered boats.. hey do the home work, Go back to your CG and Corinor and maritime reports over the last 50 yrs or so..

But ndo not suggest I have no sympathy for the families or those in the future that everytime these things  continue to happen,
barking up the wrong tree there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:43pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rusty360 rusty360 wrote:

Hey steps you seem like a very knowledgeable guy but I think you should pull ya head in and think about these poor families before firing off about under powered boats etc, unless you were there might be good to keep ya thoughts to ya self.

I've been involved in few incidences like this ex coastguard 10 years. And from what I've seen the media generally doesn't have a farking clue what's going on and will print any **** to get the story out.

I'd say most people would rush to help someone in trouble and in this case the poor guy has paid the ultimate price, I'm sure he didn't go back out with the grandkids etc in tow without thinking about it first.

Rant over.
well said.Hes a ****en expert on all matters .many here believe his bull**** as they believe he has experience when reality is none but bull****.if I get bannedi don't give a **** but someone will die or get injured following his advice at times
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Steps, this has nothing to do with abseiling in jandals!  On another day it could be you or I in that situation. Yes we need to be prepared but we've all had our moments. I've never had a situation as scary as couple of yours so just be careful out there. Things go wrong and while there are ways of mitigating that (by being prepared) We all make errors of judgement.

I know better skippers than you or I that have come to grief on both bars.

Some respect required please.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:38pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ive typed out a reply but In respect to the family who have lost so much and smudge who has to moderate this site I've deleted it.

I'm not a keyboard warrior so will leave it at that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 8:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going on other posts by many other members who are damn good , well prepared skippers, not having a moment, regularly crossing a bar for yrs then you must be the exception..or perception .
Full bins still loade with ice, outgoing tide, waves catching up, not enough power to stay on the back of a wave..?

And take a moment and look at tmy moments smudge..scary yes dangerous no..risk flipping or capsize no...and if did over equipped.. All on days with no break over the bar  1m and less swell and winds tides correct... and only one incident was mine.
 In fact all are no more an incidents that many take as normal, when crossing. Who 'normally' cross in conditions I dont go.....including yours.
So if quote my scarry moments, do not take out of context or make out something that is not.
 I report these to point out in real life, even on flat days things can happen...and do, so be prepared treat the sea with lot respect.
abseiling in jandals!
Put away the browns ..

Page  12>