Help Please Motor idles but stalls at power

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Please Motor idles but stalls at power
    Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:07am
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Searched for a good mechanic and find one with some good reviews (in these forums).
20mins away not exactly close but happy if good work).

Put boat in for pre-Xmas repair and maintenance. Spent $1k on other work e.g. steering and some basic motor work. Says it's ok for 12 months until service.

First trip to take family out. Boat idles ok but stalls when any throttle applied. From ramp back to mechanic. Nothing not even an apology. Am sure the mechanic doesn't want to see me again as much as I don't want to see him but a little customer service never goes astray.

A week later pick it up again add $400 for full service. Mechanic suggests may need a good run to flash carbs although have been cleaned.

Two trips out and back, no issues.   I tend to travel about 20-30min trips one way from marina. Third session last week, motor stalls after power applied. Happens several times. After running with choke, motor gets going. Out and back ok.

This week try to take family out. Boat stalls after going from marina speed to higher power. Get towed back from just outside marina by kind fellow boatie. Pls note idles fine. could idle all day. We are now one from three successful family trips. Wife wondering what we spent all the money on and so am I.

This has now stuffed key part of holiday as mechanic closed and leaving to go away for two weeks. We do a four hour drive to get away. Not taking the boat as feels like waste of time. Not willing to launch where even less boaties around to help if in trouble. Am coastguard member. Closest mechanic 1.5 hours away (one way).
Which means paying for ferries and no boat fishing.

Feeling pretty jaded.

How do I get this thing fixed? So it works right with confidense? I have no experience with boat motors but happy to try suggestions and even Googled. Given work done feels like fuel starvation but not sure how to fix.

At what point do you cut losses and try a new mechanic? Seems to know what he is doing and am sure has plenty of other satisfied customers. Maybe just not the right boat mechanic combo? (Pls note am not interested in naming and shaming - not the purpose of this post).

When should I stop paying and the mechanic cover the work until it is done right? In retail you get a free replacement if any item is faulty.

Am not keen to replace boat. Don't want anyone else to get these hassles and also way less expensive to fix.Although am questioing what price lost time and effort?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:19am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be inclined to take back too same mechanic.Could very well be electrical.component etc heating up and breaking down.dont know how to test as more likely throw away replacement part.had simular issue turned out to be condensor happened again and sticky choke.spring fell off butterfly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:30am
Silver
Silver

Thanks PCJ. Will mention.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 8:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had similar issues with a local mechanic..in the end cost us over $1200, So did bit homework.. took a chance a sorced a new part he had replaced for 1/2 the price.
 Involved correct timing being critical so headed to Counties..expecting another $800 type bill
They put the part in set timing rector (which we suspect screwed the original and the replace part...)
Cost under $200..

Guys now closed his workshop working from home.. wonder why..

Yes these things can get expensive and un fair.
Legally had grounds to go to small claims.. and I have done that a few times over the yrs, always won because of  evidence, rather than circumstantial evidence, which causes a doubt in the final call, and nil result...

Any way
Boat stalls after going from marina speed to higher power.

Have a bit of a distance before getting to higher speed area?

Yes could be a ign power pack or ign coil over heating...usually due to incorrect timing or spark plug gap too wide.. or a battery that is rated to low for the engine plus run electronics on board (espec as long distance low rpms, with alternator not on full charge rpms.)

But runs with choke? 
That is running on an induced rich mixture...
This could indicate a fuel line that has a tiny air leak, or a fuel pick up in the tank needs a clean, or fuel filter needs replacing.. (water filter and or filter on engine)

As to needs a run to clear carbs... that is utter BS..
1/ was put in to have this check amongst any other stuff could be..
2/ IF a proper equipped workshop he will have a tank, and dummy props that replace your prop to load the engine in the tank at higher testing rpms...

The eventual thing at the end of the day you need this engine to have your confidence back... (there is no as such road side AA)

My approach would be, email (evidence) a clear laid out summary of events and conversations to date...
Ask what his intentions are and say there should be no further costs to sort this problem out and if he intends to as a priority.

Depending if, how , and when he replies...and hopefully nil or rather negative...
Take to a full francise workshop and get fixed.
 Give them a brief rundown on events that has happened todate . Stay way from who.. just what has happened.
 This info can be of great help to their service ppl chasing down issue(s)

Pay the bill
Then spend your $20 or whatever uit is now, put a claim in the small claims, run down of events etc.
And sort you bills, emails, and the final bill from the workshop that finally finds fixes the issue...

Do not get into a aguement or discussion with the original guy...
Its just you expect it to be fixed, no further charges, nothing else, reasons whatever.

Hope this is of help.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 8:37am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hookedline&sinker Hookedline&sinker wrote:

Searched for a good mechanic and find one with some good reviews (in these forums).
20mins away not exactly close but happy if good work).

Put boat in for pre-Xmas repair and maintenance. Spent $1k on other work e.g. steering and some basic motor work. Says it's ok for 12 months until service.

First trip to take family out. Boat idles ok but stalls when any throttle applied. From ramp back to mechanic. Nothing not even an apology. Am sure the mechanic doesn't want to see me again as much as I don't want to see him but a little customer service never goes astray.

A week later pick it up again add $400 for full service. Mechanic suggests may need a good run to flash carbs although have been cleaned.

Two trips out and back, no issues.   I tend to travel about 20-30min trips one way from marina. Third session last week, motor stalls after power applied. Happens several times. After running with choke, motor gets going. Out and back ok.

This week try to take family out. Boat stalls after going from marina speed to higher power. Get towed back from just outside marina by kind fellow boatie. Pls note idles fine. could idle all day. We are now one from three successful family trips. Wife wondering what we spent all the money on and so am I.

This has now stuffed key part of holiday as mechanic closed and leaving to go away for two weeks. We do a four hour drive to get away. Not taking the boat as feels like waste of time. Not willing to launch where even less boaties around to help if in trouble. Am coastguard member. Closest mechanic 1.5 hours away (one way).
Which means paying for ferries and no boat fishing.

Feeling pretty jaded.

How do I get this thing fixed? So it works right with confidense? I have no experience with boat motors but happy to try suggestions and even Googled. Given work done feels like fuel starvation but not sure how to fix.

At what point do you cut losses and try a new mechanic? Seems to know what he is doing and am sure has plenty of other satisfied customers. Maybe just not the right boat mechanic combo? (Pls note am not interested in naming and shaming - not the purpose of this post).

When should I stop paying and the mechanic cover the work until it is done right? In retail you get a free replacement if any item is faulty.

Am not keen to replace boat. Don't want anyone else to get these hassles and also way less expensive to fix.Although am questioing what price lost time and effort?
Make of engine, HP and year of manufacture please and where abouts are you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 9:10am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My motor ran ok at low revs, then struggled at high revs. Turned out, it was a fuel pipe being squashed - so not allowing enough fuel through for high revs. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 12:56pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

STEPS slightly off topic.batteries. started marking my batteries as a few yrs ago.a crowd in Takanini gone now.swapped my new for a old.didnt notice as in box. Had issues starting.flat.thats I discovered it..But too late.went back and they denied it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 5:03pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PJC points to an often overlooked area.

Fuel starvation.
Being a two stroke, it likes fuel on demand.

Is the air vent on the tote tank fully open.
If you use a tote tank that is.
Is the primer bulb working properly.
If you have a water filter is it clean.
Are all your fuel filters clean.
Have the needles and jets been cleaned.

A few starting points that you can do to eliminate areas.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 7:33pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Steps. Comprehensive reply as usual! (and very helpful thank you).

To respond to your comments/questions....

From marina to higher speed area...about 50-100m then another 50m - 100m for second no wake zone.

Noted potential causes with power pack .my battery should be good as oversized although guy did comment the need to out put it on charge as it had been used to start alot.I was surprised as it lives on the trickle charge...noted comment about marking my battery....

dirty fuel pick up or leak are possible noting filtër was already replaced at service.

He did mention using the tank.

the bit that really bothers me is that the engine had no issues before I had it serviced...it was the steering that needed fixing.

Am noting down history incl dates and facts. Good tip thank you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 7:36pm
Silver
Silver

thanks let's get them...I tried switching tanks without any improvement...fuel lines are quite short so think my problem is likely elsewhere....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 7:40pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Mattoo.

Mine is 4 strike but checked air vents on totes. primer bulb was soft even after pumping thanks for mentioning as additional clue)

filters we changed at service.

will need to check about needles and jetë.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 9:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The first thing I would change is the fuel line and primer bulb. Not saying it is that but it is an easy thing to eliminate
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 10:01pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi, what is the motor please and what year? Cheers
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 8:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi, what is the motor please and what year? Cheers

Yes
Kandrew mentioned that above.
 OH and when trouble shooting my issue while back KAndrew was a of great help... something he mentioned in passing that then lead everything down the right track..
Does it run smooth just off idle, slow speed?

Also semi related to the above. you hit the open water, runs crap. If you let engine sit for 5 or 10 mins, then fire up does it then run ok, for a little while then die?

Replacing fuel lines every few yrs is good practice...
Use 2x fully stainless jubblee clips.
 The bulb pump.. always fit according to the arrows of flow on the bulb
And mount vertical, so fuel flows up.
 Many a 'failed' bulb has been replaced because not mounted correctly. If even just slightly up...the non return ball bearings dont seat on the seals, and the fuel runs back out of the carbs after a bit of a fish...
I must admit mine is about a 30 deg angle, anchor up for 45 min/hr and need to re pump to fire the engine..bit short on height and room where bub needs to be for easy access.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 8:31am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

If motor has carbs then as already mentioned it could be water in the fuel causing the problem.

The water in the fuel sinks to the bottom of the carbs leaving the
petrol to be drawn off the top which often does not affect the motor when run on idle.

However once the is thrust into gear the surge in power sucks the water/fuel mix in causing the motor to stall.

Not only that but the fuel remaining in the tank has been drawn from the the bottom once more contaminating the fuel in the carbs.

Easy way to establish if this is the problem is to either replace the fuel in the tank or borrow an uncontaminated tank to try.

By the way don't even bother to try the old trick of adding meths to the fuel as might sometimes work in a vehicle but unlikely to in an outboard.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:37pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

The first thing I would change is the fuel line and primer bulb. Not saying it is that but it is an easy thing to eliminate

I agree with Smudge the fuel line and primer bulb has been the cause of too many fuel delivery problems in the past.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I agree with Smudge the fuel line and primer bulb has been the cause of too many fuel delivery problems in the past.

Hug
Hehe yeah, a logical approach is needed when problem solving. How did you get on HL&S? Would like to know the outcome
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 11:19am
Silver
Silver

Thanks for following up @Smudge and sorry all for tardy reply to all. Have been away off the grid with sporadic reception and then working to get this addressed and then partly trying to forget that there were some magical glassy days where we were with other boaties out..

In terms of an update...spoke to the business owner mechanic and voiced concerns. This was a good step as gave opportunity for response.

Took the boat in - mentioned suggestions above with some of the responses i recall - condenser - there isnt one, fuel lines/filter - fine/look new ). After investigation they identified dirty plugs which were replaced at no cost.   I did ask why this wasn't picked up at the original reviews. Suggested i use 91 instead of 95/98 as potential cause of fouling (which tbh i was using as thought it was supposed to be cleaner fuel).

They ran the boat in the water to confirm fixed with no concerns (noting used own tank, lines and bulb). I mentioned the bulb not filling when i went to pick up and this was replaced on the spot. Apparently you should hold it vertical to use - who new?!).

Plan to take the boat out tomorrow and provide a further update after then.

Another key tip i have noted is to run the fuel out (disconnect tank) which reduces chances of carbs fouling as well. Although only need to worry over longer period >1month i am now super wary.

Just wanted to say thanks again all for your suggestions and thoughts on this issue. Hope this is the end for a while.

Update to come.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 1:13pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Are you by any chance using GULL fuel.

Not quite sure why ... something to do with it containing too much ethanol or whatever & if you look carefully Gull usually have a hard to see warning notice that their product is unsuited to outboard use.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 3:10pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a story that's so similar it's uncanny.

My new to me 70hp yamaha was running rough on the transition from slow to on the plane. Mech suggested carbs needed a clean.
Went to pick it up bill 250 more than quoted but they had put in a water sep filter. Took it straight to the river for a test run. Was running worse, and now had a miss at higher rpm.
Took it straight back, owner mech didn't seem to care and had a pretty negative attitude all around but I left it with them.
1 week later guy rang said all good was just fouled plugs and the 70hp run the 90hp gearbox so are always a wee bit rough on that transition due to the smaller power head and big gearbox. The 90hps I've had in the past were always very smooth.

Next time out ran ok but seemed smoker than normal, still same on the transition to the plane.

Last time we had it out went to take off and nothing only running on two must have fouled a plug. It finally cleared then went ok. Got home and also noticed it had used a heap of oil.

Jumped on YouTube and found a way to test oil pump and got the service manual.

Was testing the oil pump and you have to remove the oil pump carb link. After removing the oil pump side I then noticed it wasn't connected to the carb at all this could have popped off maybe?? but what I'm thinking is that it was never reconnected after the carbs were put back on, hence the fouled plugs, heaps of smoke etc as the oil pump is sprung to go to max oil with no linkage attached.

Hope to get on the water tomorrow to confirm this

Originally posted by Hookedline&sinker Hookedline&sinker wrote:

Thanks for following up @Smudge and sorry all for tardy reply to all. Have been away off the grid with sporadic reception and then working to get this addressed and then partly trying to forget that there were some magical glassy days where we were with other boaties out..

In terms of an update...spoke to the business owner mechanic and voiced concerns. This was a good step as gave opportunity for response.

Took the boat in - mentioned suggestions above with some of the responses i recall - condenser - there isnt one, fuel lines/filter - fine/look new ). After investigation they identified dirty plugs which were replaced at no cost.   I did ask why this wasn't picked up at the original reviews. Suggested i use 91 instead of 95/98 as potential cause of fouling (which tbh i was using as thought it was supposed to be cleaner fuel).

They ran the boat in the water to confirm fixed with no concerns (noting used own tank, lines and bulb). I mentioned the bulb not filling when i went to pick up and this was replaced on the spot. Apparently you should hold it vertical to use - who new?!).

Plan to take the boat out tomorrow and provide a further update after then.

Another key tip i have noted is to run the fuel out (disconnect tank) which reduces chances of carbs fouling as well. Although only need to worry over longer period >1month i am now super wary.

Just wanted to say thanks again all for your suggestions and thoughts on this issue. Hope this is the end for a while.

Update to come.

Page  12>