Barrel Smoker

Page  <1 23456 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 5:50pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Me thinks if you keep the temp low you will be happy with the outcome ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 5:55pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

small manukau snapper,still moist,about to remove 1hr,taste Thumbs Up
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:33pm
Gold
Gold

Looks great, dinner sorted ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:33pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mouth watering Paul, bread and butter and some aioli with a squirt of lemon juice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:38pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

served with carrot,broccoli,bok choy,then in a mis celery mushroom onion peppers garlic and ginger with beans pumpkin.

Deboned. Thanks Kandrew and Damn Rockcrushing you have me thinking about a weekend cook.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:46pm
Gold
Gold

wow, you guys eat well... i think soon i'll have to set you up with big barrel smoker LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:04pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

wow, you guys eat well... i think soon i'll have to set you up with big barrel smoker LOL
Until you started posting I had never ever thought about it,Thanks,getting fatter and drinking more,Not complainingBig smileThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:12pm
Gold
Gold

Mate, some nice drop (beverage go's so well with bbq/smoking)
just ask smudge LOLWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:28pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Mate, some nice drop (beverage go's so well with bbq/smoking)
just ask smudge LOLWink
Might have to get my home brew stout going again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 8:57pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh no not stout, stout for me = gout
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:23pm
Gold
Gold

Yesterday received box of beer, courier hv managed to squeeze this thing  in my letter box Shocked

The timing was great as i was running low on beer. 

This was from friend of my Miss to say thanks for taking her on a whole day fishing trip to the Noises.
Fishing was good, hips of small snaps, some trev,
blue cod, and leatherjackets.  Weather was good, coming back was bit choppy.

Back to the beer LOL

What goes with nice drop... well, everything  but decided to do today some (lots) of spicy chicken nibbles. Have to say the barrel smoker/grill is very good.
So the chicken was marinated for very short time(2hrs) in, Nando's Extra Bloody Hot, Culley's Buffalo Wing Sauce, Culley's BBQ Chipotle & Honey and some black pepper. Really recommend this, great snack Wink   

Hope to see some of your smoking/grilling soon Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 4:29pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://culleys.co.nz

check these guys out for sauces,leaves Nandos for dead.Nandos extra is mild compared to some of these sauces.

Carolina number 10.Thumbs Up only at nw as the rest wont stock over number 4.

Might be a mid week smoke,got busy building boat seats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 4:17pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got some nibles and lamb chops on now,been going for 3hrs covered in  Magic Dust,looking god after 3hrs,now wrapped in tinfoil with carolina num10 on them. Will give it anothe 1hr by she might have the veges done.   Managed to get lawn mowed,rebuild a boat seat and have Len Browns brother .Mr Red

Using a applewood coal from South Africa
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:17pm
Gold
Gold

Again, well done PCJ, hope you have fun cooking and the taste was great. Never done myself lamb chops on a smoker.Imo Magic Dust is great rub.
Btw. got some fresh Culley's sauces from NW... got #2, #6, & #10...
sh@t they are hot Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 4:11am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

applewood doesnt have the slight taint that manuka gives,bonu. Yep those saucesThumbs Up  Applewood from SA is on special at our M10  $20 3kg.

Just wondering when I do chicken pieces or fish again,should I make some hooks and hang from top so as to let juices run rather than food soaking in them .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 1:08pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

applewood doesnt have the slight taint that manuka gives,bonu. Yep those saucesThumbs Up  Applewood from SA is on special at our M10  $20 3kg.

Just wondering when I do chicken pieces or fish again,should I make some hooks and hang from top so as to let juices run rather than food soaking in them .

Pcj, I assume you aren’t smoking on a rack then? I find rack (or multiple racks) with drip tray below works better than hooks. Whole rack has ‘same’ temperature, better than hooks if doing pieces of any length.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 2:41pm
Gold
Gold

Pcj, i was in the shop yesterday and did have a look at grill/smoker some that you have. It's small unit and imo hooks won't work well with your setup. I agree with Keith that flat tray, top or bottom will best option for your grill.
But hooks are great...
Nice size pork belly, spatchcock chicken, tandoori on a hanging skewers.
Those i would like to do on hooks or hanging skewers. When you get the bigger barrel then you will have the volume to hang a half a cow in it (well i might exaggerate a bit) 2 rubbits and a turkey LOL  

One more advice, when adding wood to the charcoal when smoking don't over do it with the amount of wood. A piece of apple, cherry or maple on the charcoal every now and then if you cooking for 2 to 3hrs. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 3:32pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Pcj, I assume you aren’t smoking on a rack then? I find rack (or multiple racks) with drip tray below works better than hooks. Whole rack has ‘same’ temperature, better than hooks if doing pieces of any length.
Hi Kieth. Yes on racks with a water bowl above coals
Just wondering as to hanging(using manuka) that the liquid sits on top of meat.Will that give it a tainted taste?? Found a mix of 1/2 charcoal and 1/2 applewood charcoal improved the taste with no taint, Did let it burn 30 minutes first before adding meat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 4:15pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PCJ said “ Yes on racks with a water bowl above coals”.

So going back to your original question regarding hanging, are you only referring to the juices on top when you say “food soaking in (juices)”?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 4:58pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes,The first lot had a tainted taste,using soaked in water manuka to give smoke flavour,bit too strong,2nd cook was best,so thought maybe hanging would allow excess manuka to run off.
Page  <1 23456 10>