Barrel Smoker

Page  <1234 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:20pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

There you go - couta with apricot glaze.
Many recipes available via Google for those longing for a piece of appetising couta😉
Very nice mate, what fish we catch in NZ would be close
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:27pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Kandrew, the dreaded Barracouta is the fish in question (thyrsites atun). Exported to South Africa by container load.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:34pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Kandrew, the dreaded Barracouta is the fish in question (thyrsites atun). Expected to South Africa by container load.

Keith, how do you find quality cuda in NZ? Cos every cuda i've pull up have parricides. Great bait but i wouldn't eat itShocked    

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:05pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Kandrew, the dreaded Barracouta is the fish in question (thyrsites atun). Expected to South Africa by container load.

Keith, how do you find quality cuda in NZ? Cos every cuda i've pull up have parricides. Great bait but i wouldn't eat itShocked    

Rockcrashing, Couta condition is best when caught in months without an R - May to August. I used to buy it wholesale in 20 kg cartons as skin on fillets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Smaller ones tend not to have them.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:13pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just eat the worms too. My old man calls it fish spaghetti. They just eat fish.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 3:39am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok so the Gamily brought me one of these,now how do you use it??no instuction manual,goes on about water in bowl and burning charcoal. Is it loose charcoal or brick type??once burning add soaked wood chips.Got some old fish in freezer that I am going to waste in it,Do you just prepare fish as normal,light the fire getting smoking first and wait till it dies down a bit??add fish?? how long would you leave it in for and will brown off. Only smoked via portable smoker and does a reasonable job.Thanks.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 10:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

An aquatance used my marinate, method a couple weeks back.. I did not know he was going to use one of those.. He too also 1st time after hot smokes portable smokers etc.
He said came out bit dry but flavour was spot on..
I think was because.
1/ The temps from the coals inside maybe to hot.
2/ internal meat temps took up maybe 3/5 deg too high which resulted in time being extended.

How  times/ temps etc between a 45 gal drum and a sack, cabinet, portable smoker, bbq etc change how to very much. ..
Once have marinate , drying etc sorted, that can be transfered easy between smoking methods.
 Also got to under stand there is a big difference between cooking with smoke and just smoking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 12:55pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Ok so the Gamily brought me one of these,now how do you use it??no instuction manual,goes on about water in bowl and burning charcoal. Is it loose charcoal or brick type??once burning add soaked wood chips.Got some old fish in freezer that I am going to waste in it,Do you just prepare fish as normal,light the fire getting smoking first and wait till it dies down a bit??add fish?? how long would you leave it in for and will brown off. Only smoked via portable smoker and does a reasonable job.Thanks.

Use either loose or briquettes....I have found one of the best around is the cocoshots charcoal, I get it from Gilmours.

Do your fish as you would for any other smoking, I do my coals in one of those fire cans as its quicker. Pour coals into base when heated through then BOILING water in the bowl above! I have found this makes a huge difference with cooking time and keeping moist. Fish on racks and close top. Add chips/sawdust to fire through door on a regular basis to keep smoke content up. I have found that soaked wood chips last the best. Also give the coals a bit of a stir from time to time to help keep them going.

Bit of experimentation depending on fish and thickness but on average a smoke for me will be anywhere from an hour to hour and a half. Oh, the fish on the bottom rack cooks slower so put the skinny bits down thereThumbs Up

Best Ive ever had in this smoker is gurnard....hands downWink

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 12:57pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote "Keith, how do you find quality cuda in NZ? Cos every cuda i've pull up have parricides. Great bait but i wouldn't eat itShocked "

If you get a chance try it smoked....absolutely awesome   

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 3:48pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Transformations. will give it a go this weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:13am
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey Pcj  , I have just used my barrel same as yours for first time yesterday.. whole brisket on bottom rack and a chicken on the top rack. used charcole for the fire and tea tree pieces about 50mm dia and 150mm long soaked in water for half an hourso they don't catch fire for the smoke.  used about six or seven pieces in total..  chicken 6 hours and brisket 8.. and far to many rums!! temp never went over 50c  on the dial and all was done perfectly... I have 4 snapper fillets on now should be done about 1 ish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:26am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lawabidingpoacher lawabidingpoacher wrote:

hey Pcj  , I have just used my barrel same as yours for first time yesterday.. whole brisket on bottom rack and a chicken on the top rack. used charcole for the fire and tea tree pieces about 50mm dia and 150mm long soaked in water for half an hourso they don't catch fire for the smoke.  used about six or seven pieces in total..  chicken 6 hours and brisket 8.. and far to many rums!! temp never went over 50c  on the dial and all was done perfectly... I have 4 snapper fillets on now should be done about 1 ish
Excellent,have some ribs marinating now,was going to use fish,but first time use so waste the ribs,thinking 3hrs,have wood chip soaking too.

Price of charcoal 4kg  $12 and they say to use 3kg??

could be a expensive paste time . Gets me outside though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:34am
Silver
Silver

the bag of charcoal that i'm using is a 2kg bag , wasn't full when i got it out yesterday and now done one smoke and on at the moment   , and still enough left easy for one more ! seems once the tea tree is smoldering away it keeps itself going. important not to let catch alight and flame , to much heat..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:38am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok ,so close the top dampner off or just open enough to let a bit of smoke out??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:47am
Silver
Silver

i left the dampner closed ( for the brisket and chicken  ) for the first couple of hours  just to keep a bit of heat and smoke build up , then opened to let smoke flow . I know of others who do the opposite ! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:55am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lawabidingpoacher lawabidingpoacher wrote:

i left the dampner closed ( for the brisket and chicken  ) for the first couple of hours  just to keep a bit of heat and smoke build up , then opened to let smoke flow . I know of others who do the opposite ! 
Thanks,will post with results,Takeaway across the rd opens at 5.00LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 1:25pm
Gold
Gold

Hi PCJ, really, really hope you have nice experience cooking on your  new present Wink
Very interested if you have any problem igniting the charcoal? do you hv a charcoal chimney ?
Looking forward to some pic of your smoke Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 1:52pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we are under way,used lighter fluid get charcoal burning,waith 20 minutes before putting ribs in,will leave for 1hr then add dampened wood chips,Cheated used a ready rubbed on ribs and left overnight..3hrs??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:09pm
Gold
Gold

Are you cooking pork ribs ? 
Page  <1234 10>