Ledger Rigs.

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 5:03pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like to pre tie my rigs and keep a good supply on the boat in ziplock bags.  I have Mustad fastach clips on most of my rods so can clip a rig straight on and be fishing very quickly.  Works especially well if I'm having to sort out rigs for everyone else as well, which I usually am.  Although I do carry everything I need to make up rigs in the tackle bag on board, just in case I need something that I haven't got pre tied.

Quite a few years ago I tried using a jig as a sinker, but gave up very quickly after I lost a few getting them hooked on the bottom.  Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I never made it work for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 5:13pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I like to pre tie my rigs and keep a good supply on the boat in ziplock bags.  I have Mustad fastach clips on most of my rods so can clip a rig straight on and be fishing very quickly.  Works especially well if I'm having to sort out rigs for everyone else as well, which I usually am.  Although I do carry everything I need to make up rigs in the tackle bag on board, just in case I need something that I haven't got pre tied.

Quite a few years ago I tried using a jig as a sinker, but gave up very quickly after I lost a few getting them hooked on the bottom.  Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I never made it work for me.
Just thinking as well most jigs are made to give some sort of action on the way down, this might cause tangle ups?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 8:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Just thinking as well most jigs are made to give some sort of action on the way down, this might cause tangle ups?

Reminds me of a thing Lethal (RIP) used to say, jigs only have treble hooks to sell more jigs. Of course that was back in the day when jigs had trebles.

IMHO, ledger rigs are the most basic of things, while I pay particular attention to  those I tie for gurnard and a couple of other fish I don't target often I think given a few basic tips it is hard to not catch a decent haul of pannies (30 to 70cm) on a ledger - especially out of Auckland's west coast where I hang out. Want to catch bigger? Try something different.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 8:22pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Reminds me of a thing Lethal (RIP) used to say, jigs only have treble hooks to sell more jigs. Of course that was back in the day when jigs had trebles.

IMHO, ledger rigs are the most basic of things, while I pay particular attention to  those I tie for gurnard and a couple of other fish I don't target often I think given a few basic tips it is hard to not catch a decent haul of pannies (30 to 70cm) on a ledger - especially out of Auckland's west coast where I hang out. Want to catch bigger? Try something different.

Yep I agree like a strayline rig, 2 hooks and small ball sinkers up against the hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 9:03pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should have added , the only time I use jigs as sinker is where just flat sand..
 Drifting over reefs rocks is strayline, correct weight, as light as possble , reef sinker on the main line clip and tidy  baits so do not spin the trace.
 At all times in touch with the sinker bouncing it so just touches the bottom, rocks , reef what ever.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 9:19pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Should have added , the only time I use jigs as sinker is where just flat sand..
 Drifting over reefs rocks is strayline, correct weight, as light as possble , reef sinker on the main line clip and tidy  baits so do not spin the trace.
 At all times in touch with the sinker bouncing it so just touches the bottom, rocks , reef what ever.
You use different terms for types of fishing than me, what you describe here to me is drift fishing. Stray linning to me is anchored up in fairly shallow water, big berley trail and casting either unweighted or lightly weighted baits back into the berley trail. Let the baits slowly sink to the bottom with the reel out of gear so the fish can pick up the bait and chomp it down, reel into gear fish on.

Know reef sinkers?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 9:29pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep never dropped an anchor on the east coast for a good 10yrs.. except when diving cause the boat moves faster than I can swim
 Reef sinker
https://www.burnsco.co.nz/burnsco-reef-sinkers?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw9qOBhC-ARIsAG-rdn4zGb21P-49r-JmEbSxbnUK_7ZMrTWkqLUo_BqOIFT6xMMEqiGr1-gaAmyTEALw_wcB

They hang so can bounce them...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 11:14am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

You're not wrong. The only bait fishing for snapper I have done in the last few years has been at the Graveyard. We use heavy ledger rigs on the drift. Generally haul up one or two snapper in the 3 - 6 kg range every drop unless sharks cause a problem. I don't find it particularly interesting or fun fishing, but it certainly provides a feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 8:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Have fished the Graveyard  maybe 10 times but that was 30 years ago. Tried a couple of different rigs but yeah, ledgers were perfect there. I used a centre pin reel and a 24oz sinker. That would be a pretty effective rig in the deeper parts of the Manukau too but I just can't bring myself to fish that way these days. when I do fish deep water and big currents  I much prefer a single hook dropper.

Biggest snapper for us at the Graveyard was 24lb. Unfortunately I went halves in our only piper and my half got 8lb, my mate got the big boy Big smile

The reason I tie my rigs on the boat is I hate the idea of doing the same thing every time. While two hook dropper work undeniably well out west I'm tending to bait fish single hooks  there these days as it is just too easy to catch snapper and two spiney dogs at a time over winter just does my head in. Two kahawai almost as bad - especially on light gear.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 8:47pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well this thread was a hoot to read for the first time.

I prefer, much like Smudge, to tie my rigs on the boat depending on what I feel I need at the time. There’s way to many variations in the spots I fish at times that warrant using different methods, hooks, line weight etc etc.

Generally I keep my ledgers simple. Two hooks, two loops off the trace for them.

I use black magic primarily and also wasabi if I’m feeling less rich at the time but have never had one break or bend yet. Then again I haven’t caught a snapper over 15lb yet.

I use 60 to 100lb trace on the west coast. 60lb in the deeper parts of the harbour and sometimes in the shallows if I don’t have anything else on hand such as yesterday when I couldn’t find my 40lb leader. Lighter for gurnard and trevally in winter.

While I know there’s so many methods and different ways of fishing, I like to keep it as simple as possible. I’m not a technical kind of guy.
Page  <1 234