Ledger Rigs.

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 8:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting last 2 trips in the last couple weeks.. my last manuakau report and the one going to do soon..
Other guys had std brought droppers.. 1st wasnt catching got broken off, so thru one of of mine over.. bang, limit for 2 way over flowing a 95L bin.. A shark even took one of the hooks and he carried on fishing nps..

All mix BBK and gammy hooks.
Gamy hooks are a bit tighter to loop the heavy 80 lb fluro tru.
Yesterday same thing, as soon as they changed to my custom catch fish... and BBK and gammy hooks.
Except would be one of the worst days me pulling fish over the side other than gurnards.. heaps of them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:14am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I pretty much pre tie all my rigs at home now and simply select the one I feel is right for the job when on the water.
Pre tied ledgers and straylines are kept in a sistema container in snap lock bags ready to go.

Photo 1 shows a typical ledger and photo 2 shows a typical strayline. Most are made slightly different from each other and sometimes a pattern shows which design is working better.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I tie them on the boat. Too easy. It only takes a minute then I'm not tied (great pun Smudge) to anything in particular.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:24pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kitno - you are crimping the hooks to the main line and their trace?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 3:05pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Kitno - you are crimping the hooks to the main line and their trace?
Alan

Yes, 50lb trace and 80lb for the little bit for the top hook.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 3:11pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I tie them on the boat. Too easy. It only takes a minute then I'm not tied (great pun Smudge) to anything in particular.

Hehe, my my eyes are starting to fail me Smudge. Big part of the reason I now tie at home. Only one knot required to the swivel when on the boat. Often the one rig will last the entire session anyway.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 4:26pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I quite like crimps quick and easy I was thinking to use them on jig heads at one stage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 5:29pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On heavier leader, I think a tidier connection can be made with crimps rather than knots Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:13pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What this thread tells me is that there are many ways to tie ledger rigs and strayline rigs.  There is no right or wrong, it's about what you have found works for you.  Some like crimps, others not so much.
Kitno's strayline rig with the barrel or ball sinker between the snelled hooks doesn't work for me as I like to use a whole squid as bait and I like the lower hook to be threaded in and out of the squid multiple times so the position of the sinker and beads make that difficult.  On the other hand I like Kitno's ledger rig setup a lot.  Perhaps it's not a true ledger rig but a single hook strayline rig with an upper hook.  Call it whatever you like, I can see a slightly modified version of this working for me. Thumbs Up 

Like you Kitno I'm one for pre tying rigs and keeping them in ziplock bags.    

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pre tieing, as against tie on the boat comes back to if dont have a hook in the water you dont catch fish..
 To quick tie a trace, espec a ledger, getting lengths right, good knots, and thats after digging thru the tackle box to get everything out, in a rolling boat...

As against, damaged trace, or a hook down the gut, drop trace off the mainline clip, select another in a marked /files zip lock in the draw under the bait board, clip on , bait up and go..Im still collecting my liner spools, winding endless 3 or 4 pre hooked hooked traces on.
Its hook the small top loop on the mainline clip, unroll to bottom of sinker loop, snip off the next on the spool..
(see pic previous page, the spools in and around the plastic box and ledger tieing jig)

And pre tie no damn tackle boxes floating around the deck floor..

Something playing with atm, well for a while is the plastic squids lures on the ledgers and using a heavy lure for sinker at the bottom.
 We are targeting off the west coast larger snapper/ ky
Started on the thought of big bait.. etc.. so big plastic squid lures... more than once lost the lure and just bait consistently better results in hook ups.
So go to small 2.5/3cm squids, with and without bait, hook ups.. most with bait thu. Have been rather surprised in last 3 trips out how effective, doing around 500/750mm jigs on top of a 1 m swell and small chop on top... with or without bait.
 Combined with the above, is when tie the ledger, take into account the natural curve of the trace as it comes off the spool, using that in the right direction to have the hooks stand off from the backbone.
 A few yrs back I was messing with twists, and little spring thingys (use on game fishing I think) and an old m8 just mentioned... use the natural curve in the trace line..
I found this hard to do tie 'freehand'.. but on my ledger tieing jig, winding the spool around the pegs makes it so easy..
(see pic on previous page)

Using the jig as a sinker (100/120gm +) works real well, till a shark breaks of the trace...that gets to be expensive 'sinkers' even out of the bargain bins... Besides the expense, damn work real well, espec gurnard, and so often a 2nd good snapper hook up on the way up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 10:16am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Something playing with atm, well for a while is the plastic squids lures on the ledgers and using a heavy lure for sinker at the bottom.

I'm not much of bait fisherman, but that makes a lot of sense. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 1:08pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dropper style from early maori,have photo but not clear,seemed praticle,keeps hooks out from mainline and hooks were wooden,must of worked. had another interesting club there too Tuna basher when landed,so must presume pre european times that tuna were relatively close to shore  In the process of making something simular.Using thin clear hosing,6mm to hold line out,should be stiff enough??
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 2:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

I'm not much of bait fisherman, but that makes a lot of sense. 
Those hex wobbly KY spinner lures come in a range of sizes/weights.
They make useful 'sinkers' on a ledger rig, and gurnard like them too.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 2:51pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Dropper style from early maori,have photo but not clear,seemed praticle,keeps hooks out from mainline and hooks were wooden,must of worked. had another interesting club there too Tuna basher when landed,so must presume pre european times that tuna were relatively close to shore  In the process of making something simular.Using thin clear hosing,6mm to hold line out,should be stiff enough??

There's all sorts of rigs and contraceptions out there in the wider world. If you Google "paternoster boom", it will give you some ideas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 3:58pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pre tieing, as against tie on the boat comes back to if dont have a hook in the water you dont catch fish..
 To quick tie a trace, espec a ledger, getting lengths right, good knots, and thats after digging thru the tackle box to get everything out, in a rolling boat...

As against, damaged trace, or a hook down the gut, drop trace off the mainline clip, select another in a marked /files zip lock in the draw under the bait board, clip on , bait up and go..Im still collecting my liner spools, winding endless 3 or 4 pre hooked hooked traces on.
Its hook the small top loop on the mainline clip, unroll to bottom of sinker loop, snip off the next on the spool..
(see pic previous page, the spools in and around the plastic box and ledger tieing jig)

Started on the thought of big bait.. etc.. so big plastic squid lures... more than once lost the lure and just bait consistently better results in hook ups.
So go to small 2.5/3cm squids, with and without bait, hook ups.. most with bait thu. Have been rather surprised in last 3 trips out how effective, doing around 500/750mm jigs on top of a 1 m swell and small chop on top... with or without bait.
 Combined with the above, is when tie the ledger, take into account the natural curve of the trace as it comes off the spool, using that in the right direction to have the hooks stand off from the backbone.
 A few yrs back I was messing with twists, and little spring thingys (use on game fishing I think) and an old m8 just mentioned... use the natural curve in the trace line..
I found this hard to do tie 'freehand'.. but on my ledger tieing jig, winding the spool around the pegs makes it so easy..

Using the jig as a sinker (100/120gm +) works real well, till a shark breaks of the trace...that gets to be expensive 'sinkers' even out of the bargain bins... Besides the expense, damn work real well, espec gurnard, and so often a 2nd good snapper hook up on the way up.

Plenty of that sort of pre-tied dropper with plastic squid in stead of flasher, used them down south for catching blue cod worked fine.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/flasher-rigs/silstar-jig-em-squid-flasher-rig-5cm-77633
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:02pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Plenty of that sort of pre-tied dropper with plastic squid in stead of flasher, used them down south for catching blue cod worked fine.

Also Jarvis Walker used to sell a flasher rig with one of their crome jigs on the bottom for the weight, never used one.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/flasher-rigs/silstar-jig-em-squid-flasher-rig-5cm-77633
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:02pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's all sorts of rigs and contraceptions out there in the wider world. If you Google "paternoster boom", it will give you some ideas.
But we deem primative man as that primative. Really are we anymore advanced?? Yes googled Paternoster boom and all that seems to of happened is using modern technology to improve the past no new ideas.Bit like foiling boats,first used in 1906,just we have improved it. The electric car 1880, unstayed swinging yacht masts 1400. Will have a read a bit later,just liked the idea of the dropper as seems near impossible to tangle with mainline.Thanks MB  Bit like the recurve hook.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:13pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out for a bait fish for the first time in many years with my brother on the firth last night, hard going only yep 6 and throw shiploads back. He tied his dropper with 2 hooks on each trace, one as a keeper hook. Worked well for him. Caught more than me the bugger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:56pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup.
Paternoster sprung to mind immediately I saw that picture.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 9:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep PJ as I mentioned in my post above, got to stand out for better results.. and if tie on a jig so can take advantage of the natural curve of the trace...
does just that.
 And or as some do, put a twist in the loop..

I will add, there is a lot about making length so hooks  and sinker loop dont touch....touching is not an issue...having them able to cross with bait on knocks back the catch rate hugely.
And if what ever one uses to have the hooks stand out, even if able to e forced to cross, they very rarely will.
End of the day thu.. hooks should not be able to touch or at least just touch.
Then one throws in .. are you after the fish on the bottom, or those a bit further up the water column...and combos of.
Page  <1234>